We arrived tired after a long journey. The owner’s agent was there by arrangement to show us in. While demonstrating that it was impossible for two people to be in the ‘kitchen’ at the same time, he opened the door of the dishwasher to reveal – to his evident surprise - that it was full of dirty dishes! He had clearly made no inspection of the property to check on the work of the cleaners, who the owner later assured us had spent two hours there, but whose existence subsequent discoveries led us to doubt.
He washed up, with a lot of clattering, and no apology, leaving the sink filthy. In the kitchen were shelves of half used jars of spices and pickles and so on. One of them had a best before date of 2007. We were later informed that this was intentional, to make the place more homely. The agent was off hand and his brusque manner made us keen for him to leave us in peace. Looking round the house we found: an unemptied waste bin in the main bedroom. Used tissues under the bed. Stained pillows. A tangle of electrical leads beneath a bunk bed. A bed side lamp with no shade in the main bedroom. Other lamps which didn’t work and were very dirty. A fire extinguisher with no safety inspection label. The whole place felt grubby.
The website states the dimensions of each room, so we should not have been surprised about the cramped accommodation. However, the design and layout made the kitchen and bathroom extremely uncomfortable to use, and in the case of the bathroom, positively dangerous if you were not nimble enough to climb out of the bath/shower while negotiating a toilet, a sink and a shower screen. The kitchen needed a major rethink and a clear-out. All the drawers were stuffed with ‘stuff’ and the electric kettle had to be balanced between the draining board and the cooker.
Though booked for a week, we left the next morning and found alternative accommodation – a clean one! We wrote to the owner, who promised to investigate; we sent photographs. (We are not the type who do this as a matter of course. We have been staying in Aberdaron for decades and have never experienced any problems with rental properties).
The owner, reasonably enough, said we should have made our complaints known to his agent. However, I maintain that having booked somewhere for 7 days, it is not unreasonable to expect it to be clean. Who wants to waste time arguing with people at the beginning of a very short and much needed holiday? We were tired, as stated, and my husband was quite ill and low on energy. The owner also accused us of fabricating the evidence contained in the photographs we had sent, and either ignored or brushed aside our other points. He also implied that we had returned home as my husband was ill. The owner refused us any refund. Legally, he is correct. Morally, he should be ashamed of himself.
Owner was very welcoming. Cottage clean and plenty of duvets and pillows [took our own bedding and towels]. View is lovely and parking just a 3 minute walk away for more than two cars.
Sorry to say though the cottage is very small. Stairs are very steep. Kitchen is minute; only accommodates 1 person at a time. If you have mobility problems you will not be able to step into the bath as the toilet and the fixed shower screen are in the way.
There is also no microwave which was an issue as we had a microwave steam steriliser for my daughter's 13 day old baby, therefore they only stayed one night.
The description states that the cottage sleeps 6; yes it does, but not 6 adults. In my opinion it is more suitable for 2 adults and 4 small children.