“Just what was needed”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Little Cayman
Southern Cross Club
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Little Cayman
Reviewed 30 April 2010

After a long cold winter the breathtaking views from Southern Cross are just what the jaded senses needed. Once again our visit met all our expectations.

The new management team of Jen and Neil is working well. They have some new ideas and lead by example.The staff are young,efficient. and ready to please. Everyone is keen to make ones stay as relaxed and stress free as possible. Nothing seems to be too much trouble..... I liked the new toiletries range. Oh and the new bikes are great!!

It is always good to meet up with old friends and also making new ones at the Wednesday night get together. Mingling with local people and hearing their stories.

The food was great . Love the soups and the freshly prepared salad of the day at lunch time. Such a choice. We loved the Indian influence too,which were optional dishes on some of the buffet nights.

The diving was wonderful as always.... . again a good and dedicated staff who are able to find the litlle things as well as the big......what else can one say ......except for to "see you next year" !

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 30 April 2010

When my sister and I decided to take a trip together we were looking for a place that would be relaxing and stress free. W e really enjoyed the atmosphere at Southern Cross. It's just what we were looking for. The people were very friendly and accomidating. The room was very comfortable and the dive boat, dining room , bar and pool were all within easy walking distance. The food was the best and the dive masters were wonderful. And, of course, the diving was absolutely fabulous. And so uncrowded. We met some great people at the club, and made some lifelong friends. I would recommend this resort to anyone who loves to relaxe, be taken care of and DIVE DIVE DIVE.

• Stayed: April 2010
Reviewed 26 April 2010

Stayed for two nights in April.

Plus side
- Accomodation was fantastic, in the beachfront villa you could hear the waves and see the beautiful stars
- Diving was excellent, Mick and his team were professional, knowledgable and great fun
- General staff courteous and efficient

Not so great
- As a previous reviewer has mentioned, it seemed that there were far too many kids at the resort. I believe one of the attractions of this "small, safe resort" for those with kids is that parents feel they can take a break from parenting...as a result the kids just run around, being noisy kids. Which is fine, but not something that fits in with the idyllic, tranquil, quiet "retreat" image that the SCC is attempting to sell itself on. The website says Fish and Dive resort...More truthful would be a "Family Resort"
- Having a downstairs room - We stayed downstairs and all we could hear was footsteps from one kid running around for an hour or so on one night. Tip: Go for an upstairs room
- Food - The catering staff seem to be from an Indian heritage and as such there is a strong bent on Indian food (Curry etc). In addition if you are used to resorts, you will be disappointed at the lack of choice (Maybe 3 Entree selections, 1x veggie, 1x fish, 1x meat). Maybe there is an issue getting decent supplies to this tiny island.

From reading the previous reviews it seems that the owner is pretty proactive at replying so I look forward to hearing his reply on the above.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled as a couple
LittleCaymanSCC1, Owner at Southern Cross Club, responded to this reviewResponded 3 May 2010

Hello NYC,
Peter Hillenbrand here. It was a pleasure meeting you and your wife on your trip to The Southern Cross Club last month. We appreciate your review and your encouragement for me to respond.
As I think you are probably aware, SCC has a no children under ten policy. Our low density, barefoot luxury environment does indeed lend itself to a peaceful and romantic Caribbean vacation where you can stay as busy as you would like exploring our pristine environment, or do nothing more than relax in a hammock by the pool. While our guests are usually couples, we do get some families in with teenagers and dive age children. This is especially true during March, when you were visiting, and when schools are on holiday. I do remember a small group of teenagers playing Ghost in the Graveyard on the beach one night and I suspect this was the cause of some of the noise you referred to. I went back to look at the guest list while you were visiting SCC and was not sure if I needed to laugh or shake my head in shame. The family that was above you during your stay was my sister and her 14 year old daughter. I am sorry if my niece was a bit club footed. I will be sure to wag a finger at the two of them when I see them next. Our bungalows are designed to be private and peaceful, matching the islands environment.
Given this, I would respectfully disagree with your comment “The website says Fish and Dive resort...More truthful would be a "Family Resort"” Little Cayman is a Holy Grail for divers and fishermen, and Bloody Bay Wall is on the top of every serious divers bucket list. We are consistently rated one of the top destinations in the world for advanced as well as beginner divers. We do indeed have some families with older children visit, but SCC has been, and will remain, a wonderful peaceful environment that caters to beach lovers as well as divers and fishing enthusiasts, including couples and some families with older children. Our dive and fish staff are second to none, and because of our small size and uncrowded dive boats, we can offer services and options not available at other resorts. I am truly sorry if your two night stay left you with a different impression.
SCC has a fantastic kitchen run by an extremely capable and creative Canadian, Chef Ron. Our menu is diverse and fresh. I will again respectfully disagree that our guests will “be disappointed by the lack of choice”. In fact, I think you will be astonished at the wonderful diversity of our menu for breakfast, lunch and dinner, given we are located on an idyllic island of just 150 full time residents. (Per your comment - we receive supplies once per week from Grand Cayman.) We do have an Indian chef in our kitchen, so we do occasionally serve fantastic curry dishes, but always accompanied by a variety of other proteins and delicious salads. In general our kitchen serves a healthy choice of Caribbean and international cuisines, but we are able to cater to specific diets based on need and desire. Some nights we serve buffet style, and some are ala carte menus.
Thanks again for the visit, and thank you for inviting me to leave my response to your review. I think a few of your impressions were incomplete because of your short visit. Most of our guests are many time repeat visitors who cherish Little Cayman and our small unique dive, fish and relax resort, and stay for a week or more. The next time I hope to see you and your wife here for a longer stay.
Pete

Reviewed 23 April 2010

This is our ninth year at the club and for us it is like being with family. The resort is small and intimate. Rooms are perfect size and outdoor showers are bliss. Wonderful meals are served in the club house at specified times - three times a day so you get to know people. Dive staff (Mike, Kristen and Justin) are awesome! They make each dive an adventure (a good one).

If you are looking for nightlife, restaurants, shopping or like to show off your latests fashions on the beach - Grand Cayman is nice. On the other hand if you are looking for a place to relax, do a little exploring, have great diving or fishing experience then SCC is the place.

It is hard to believe you are on an island in the middle of the Atlantic Ocean. The staff is so accomodating - just ask and they will try to make it appear. Our luggage didn't arrive with us and the owner of the club (we love Peter) brought cloths over to my husband so he could fish and the manager (we love Jen) was willing to share with me.

This is the best place to kick back and relax, be with friends and have the fishing and diving experience you dream about. Not really a family resort. But for those of us that like adventure or just relaxing it is perfect.

Stayed: April 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 March 2010

Just got back 2:30 this am----Spent 7 days at Southern Cross with Jess- Was the most unbelievable experience we've had traveling. From the scenary to the staff everything was perfect. This truly is a slice of paradise. We actually felt like we were in our home and that we were surrounded by family- The diving team at the Cross was amazing- they not only catered to my fiance who is new to diving but took the time to point out every detail of everything diving at a little cayman had to offer for an experienced diver like myself. Mike, Justine, & Christian were just awesome-
Ron & his staff were amazing- I honestly felt like we were eating at a 5 star restuarant every single night...What they are able to do there is just spectacular- I noted they could go head to head with any restuarant in Boston any day of the week-
Jen, Renita, Grand, Neil, David, & Kim made the whole trip go flawlessly--- and absolutely stress free- anything we needed we had and if they didnt have it they would get it- no question asked....
The bar staff Denise and Shawn were great to just have a cold drink with and share conversation about anything!
The bottom line is that the Southern Cross Club has all the ingredients to completely detach yourself from the day to day stresses of normal life- It forces your to take you stay and look at life and all it has to offer- No questions asked we will be back asap.
Thank you!

2.1 km away
Sunset Cove
Sunset Cove
#1 of 1 in Little Cayman

Been to Southern Cross Club? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK