“Good hotel but improvements are necessary”

Grand Cayman Marriott Beach Resort
Ranked #4 of 10 Hotels in Seven Mile Beach
GreenLeadersGold level
Los Angeles, California
“Good hotel but improvements are necessary”
Reviewed 9 August 2012

We stay at Marriott for a total of 9 nights - departing on 8/6/12. There were 4 of us (including our 2 teenage boys) along with our best friends. Overall the service we received was very good. The absolute highlight of the service was Nelson who greeted us as we arrived at the hotel. We were all very tired after 13 hours of traveling and he immediately made us feel welcomed. To our surprise and pleasure, we ran into Nelson almost everyday as he was also a supervisor of housekeeping. He even came and vacuumed our room after we got sand from the beach every where. The people at registration were also very nice (I forgot her name but I think she was from Brazil). Zartan from the bar was also really great and provided some great dinner recommendations - especially Ragazzi!

The down side as most everyone has commented on is the beach area. If you want a beach chair in the front row, you need to be down there by at least 7:30 a.m. You also need to expect that you will be very close to your neighbor. After the first day, we got use to it and since we got up early and had chairs where we wanted them (on the far end of the hotel), we were fine. With that said, I would suggest bringing your own beach towel as the hotel was almost always running short on them. The water is amazing and the snorkling was great. We even did night snorkling and saw a ton of stuff.

As far as the rooms go, we had an ocean front room and I was glad that we paid the extra money for the upgrade. The views are amazing. We were on the 4th floor. On the down side of the rooms, since we had 4 people in our room, we had two double beds and they were really too small to be comfortable in. Marriott really needs to put 2 queen beds instead of doubles as there is definitely room to do this. We slept terrible because the beds were so small. The other issue is definitely the bathrooms as the lighting is terrible and there is absolutely no storage anywere - no drawers or cabinets (although there is clearly enough room to add them). The rooms were cleaned timely every day though which was nice. The hallways are really old and need upgrading as well.

Food and drinks around the hotel are very expensive so we went to the local market to get beer and stuff to save money (but I will warn you, this is even still more expensive than you would think). We did the all you can eat lobster night and it was excellent and worth the money. We had differnt things to choose from and included sparkling wine. We ate at Coconut Joes across the street a few times and the food was very good and the prices were definitely better than Marriott but still more expensive than you would expect. Breakfast for 4 was still around $60-$70 US dollars and then add a couple bloody mary's and you are over $100. Cimbucco (sp?) was also another good option and a little cheaper than Coconut Joes for breakfast and the food was excellent. PLEASE NOTE - Before going to a restaurant for dinner, call first and make sure they are open. On two different nights, people around the hotel made suggestions for dinner and said we didn't need to make reservations but after we walked all the way there, we found out they were closed... You would have thought we learned our lesson the first time it happened to us but obviously we didn't... If you don't have reservations, call the restaurant before you walk there.

Room Tip: If you get an ocean front room, make sure you get one on at least the 3rd floor or higher.
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
4 Thank Shan V
Grand Cayman M, Manager at Grand Cayman Marriott Beach Resort, responded to this review, 11 August 2012
Dear Shan V,

Thank you for sharing your comments. I am pleased to hear that you were satisfied with our service, especially by the names you have highlighted. I agree with you, our ocean front rooms have the best view of the beautifully calm, crystal clear seven mile beach. In our $16million renovation which will begin next summer our bedrooms and bathrooms will be considered in the scope of work. I hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back for you to enjoy our upgrades.

Director of Rooms Operations
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,510)
  • Polish first
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Reviewed 8 August 2012

My (huge) hamily and I stayed here the first week of August 2012 and it was expensive, so we expected nice rooms and good food and service. (By the way, hotels.com offers great deals for this hotel from time to time). While the amenities, rooms and ambiance were nice, it was not the best this island has to offer. For the same cost, or perhaps a minor premium, I would definitely suggest staying at the Westin, or the Ritz Carleton, rated the only AAA 5-Diamond resort at Grand Cayman. Food is costely and service is extreeeeeemely sloooow (misspell for emphasis). Pluses are the courteous and friendly staff, like Daniel the Bell Boy who gave my 2yo son a baby turtle as a keepsake (I would recommend going to the Turtle Farm and do Stingray swimming if you are up to it, absolutely awesome!) But, we weren't happy campers the morning we were leaving, (or at prior dinners at the restaurant) and we could not be accomodated in the only restaurant they had which served breakfast. (The restaurant by the pool is only open for lunch/dinner.) As an alternative, there was continental breakfast and coffee at an exorbitant cost (ie. small muffin/danish for $4). As for the cost of food, while I'm assuming the food in most hotels on the island would be costly, at least you would expect it to be worth the cost. I recommend you go to Joe's across the street or Simboco for breakfast, less costly and better food and service. For bonfire night, it was a bit unhygenic - smores and all teh fixin's, but without napkins or plates, or any utensils for getting the chocolate, graham crackers, etc., from the plates- so everyone was getting the ingredients with there bare hands, a recipe for bacteria. I asked for napkins (at least) at the pool restaurant, and by the time I returned, there were some, but no utensils so we took a pass on the smores and just went night swimming in the pool which was a blast. They easily ran out of towels by the pool, and you had to wait 30 min. for replacements (why don't they just empty the tub of dirty towels when it is ALMOST full so that there are some avaliable while they are washing them?) These are just a few examples of mediocre service. Bottom line, if you are coming to Grand Cayman, might as well stay in the best, or at least one of them. Quite honeslty, this Mariott doesn't cut it as one of the best, so if you're gonna spend your $ anyway, I would stay elsewhere. I don't normally write blogs, but figured I would have appreciated an honest review for this hotel, in which case we would have never stayed here. Still, it is a nice hotel, and we had a wonderful vacation. Just depends what your standards are, I suppose. So I rate it with a passing average mark, but not excellent.

Room Tip: Rooms with ocean view offer best view overall.
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank Laura A
Dear Laura A,

Thank you for sharing your feedback. I regret to learn that we did not exceed your expectations. It is through comments such as yours we know when we are failing to deliver the service our guests have become familiar with. Rest assured that we strive for guest satisfaction and I will review your comments and take the necessary measures to avoid similar situation from re-occurring. We hope we will have the opportunity to serve you again.

Califon, NJ
Reviewed 7 August 2012

I was trying to avoid writing a bad review but at this point it is ridiculous that I am still going back and forth with Finance Department at the Grand Cayman Marriott Beach Resort. I was charged 3 times for my stay in May 2012. I keep getting the same answer that they are working on it with the bank. Anyone who tries stays at this Marriott should check their credit card statements for duplicate charges. I really have nothing nice to say about this Marriott because of this. This was my second stay at the Grand Cayman Marriott Beach Resort and it will be my last because of this.

Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank scubajd
Dear scubajd,

Thank you for sharing your comments. I apologize for any inconvenience you have been experiencing regarding the late charges reflecting on your account. There has been a processing error which is solely the responsibility of the bank. Please be assured that they are working keenly to resolve this issue. We value your loyalty and hope to serve you again.

Northern Virginia
Reviewed 7 August 2012

Our trip was great and we were amazed by the staff at this hotel. They sure made us feel like we were the only guests they had and they were at full capacity. Upon arrival we were greeted by Omar and Rocky, the loss prevention supervisor. While my husband checked us in, our daughters ages 8 and 4 were telling them our life stories. One of the stories beeing told was that our 4 yr old will be turning 5 while we were on the island. Over the next few days we ran into both guys few times and Rocky remembered to ask our daughter about her birthday plans. We were out in town pretty much the entire day of her bithday and when we got back to our room we were blown away by the their customer service. There were freshly baked chocolate chip cookies along with 2 milks and enough chocolate siryp waiting for our birthday girl and her sister. My husband stays in Marriott hotels all the time when he travels for work and it is our hotel of choice for family travel. We have never experienced great service like this before. I can't forget to mentioned Julie who got our coffee every single morning and remembered my name the first day. She also remembered us at check in and talked to me about how her mom dressed her and her sisters alike like sometimes do with my girls. Also, a big huge thank you to Doris and Evelyn who took care of our rooms and put the biggest smiles on our daughters faces with those turtles. I have worked in retail and banking managemend for years where customer service is the core of the business and only wish my employees were trained like this.
The hotel has everything you need in it as far as dining, shopping and lets not forget The Red Sail Sports. We enjoyed the smores night at the beach as well as movie night. We are planning to go back in few years when our older daughter is old enough to get certified so she can go diving with her dad who by the way went out 3 times and loved every minute of it. Thank you Marriott Grand Cayman for a wonderful stay!!!

Room Tip: Go ahead and spend more and get the ocean view. It is worth it.
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
Dear Bellawatch,

Thank you for sharing your thoughtful feedback. It is always a pleasure hearing that our guests were treated with special care and attention which are the hallmarks of our reputation. We endeavor to make each guest experience unique and I am happy that your daughter enjoyed Rocky’s kind gesture. We value and appreciate your comments and looking forward to serving you again.

Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 6 August 2012

We had a great stay at the Marriot Resort. They really care about you and want you to have the best possible stay. I really liked the beach and pool, and jet skis, banana boat ride renting was available. The large courtyard was nice, and a comfortable place to hang out or eat lunch. The restaraunts were pricey but delicious! I also liked that they had large menu books that made it easy to pick a restaraunt you like, as well as exceptional concierges who were very helpful. The small shop had everything we needed and more! There was also a place to buy jewelry in the lobby. There is nothing bad I can say about this hotel and I think it will fit all your needs.

Room Tip: Rooms on the first floor are a bit pricier than the other rooms but are very convenient, if you are...
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
Dear esterlytibbets,

Thank you for sharing your comments. I am happy that you had a wonderful stay at our resort. Rest assured, guest satisfaction is our top priority and I am glad that you were pleased with our service. We look forward to serving you again.