“Great little snorkel excursion!”

Don Foster's Dive Cayman
More attraction details
Owner description: DON FOSTER'S DIVE CAYMAN is a full-service dive operation in the Cayman Islands. Established on Grand Cayman since 1982 and located on the waterfront 3/10 mile south of George Town, Don Foster’s is fronted by Casuarina Point Reef, where you will find excellent shore diving and snorkeling. We have a large dive shop offering dive and snorkel gear rental, t-shirts, souvenirs, drinks and snacks. Our boat diving package rates are the lowest on the island and we will work with you to make your diving experience memorable, whether you want to dive a lot (check out 20-tank special) or a little. Don Foster’s Dive is the place to go for experience, excellent customer service and a great dive experience.
Reviewed 26 April 2017 via mobile

We book a snorkel excursion through our cruise line for Don Fosters! It was a great location just right out of town! Lots of coral and fish... absolutely beautiful!! My only complaint is I wish we'd have had more time! Our excursion was cut a little short?? I heard our guide complaining to another employee that she was on her own and didn't have any help, could be why the excursion time was less than what we purchased. However, our whole family had a lot of fun!! The guy running the shop was super nice and helpful! Great customer service!!

All reviews
in 11 reviews
"stingray city"
in 38 reviews

Reviewed 22 April 2017

Did the learn to dive with my daughter here. It was a great experience. Lyndsey our instructor was awesome with me. I was nervous about breathing under water, but after the pool lesson I was ready for the open water. This was such a great experience that my daughter and I are now enrolled to become certified divers ourselves. Hope to come back and dive with them again but next time I want to visit a ship wreck.

DonFostersDive, Divemaster at Don Foster's Dive Cayman, responded to this reviewResponded 30 April 2017

Thank you for taking the time to talk about your experience with us and that you and your daughter will continue on to be Open Water Certified. We hope that should you decide to return to Grand Cayman, that you will come back and dive with us over at Don Foster's Dive.

Reviewed 21 April 2017

My 14- and 16-year old boys and I did the Discover Scuba Diving along with several couples. We spent half an hour in the pool getting a quick lesson in some of the basics of taking care of ourselves and our equipment while under water, and then each of us in turn demonstrated that we could perform each task. The instruction was very clear and at a level that engaged all of us, and we appreciated the attentiveness. They had several instructors in the pool and each one took a very small group and worked with them individually. The small, intimate teams were a big plus in my book as they allowed us to really enjoy the experience together instead of feeling like we were part of a herd.

Once we demonstrated our proficiency, we were walked down to the ocean and the adventure began! Suffice it to say that it was amaaaaaazing... We saw sooooooo many fish, and so many different types of fish. Keith, our instructor, and one of my sons saw a barracuda, and we saw a porcupine fish as well. It's funny that I only mention those since they stood out, but all the other parrot fish, trigger fish, tangs, and all the rest were amazing as well. You know you had a great experience when the things that would ordinarily amaze you were just part of the scenery.

We were there as a day stop on a Caribbean cruise and if we were to go again, I would do this excursion again in a heartbeat. I consider this to be a must-do activity. Their location right on the beach gives them access to a 40' deep reef teeming with life and this just adds to the intimate setting of the whole thing. It's surreal. If we were spending a week in the Caymans, I would absolutely work with Don Foster's to get PADI certified and go exploring. If you want to go this route, make sure you contact them before your trip so they can get you started with online instruction and reduce the amount of time you have to spend in a classroom on the island. Let's face it: Once you're there, you're going to want to be in the water, not doing what you could have taken care of at home.

I'd like to take a moment to offer a shout out to Keith. While I felt that all the instructors offered a similar level of professionalism and service, I'm glad that Keith adopted us. He really did a great job with his presentation, everything was very easy to understand, and he led us around on an amazing tour. I hope the administrative staff at Don Foster's read this review, as he deserves the recognition.

*** TIP ***
I didn't realize until we were back on land (and I wish they had mentioned it when we arrived), but they have waterproof digital cameras for rent. I *really* wish I'd known this as I wanted soooooo many times to take pictures and wished I had a camera to use. The cost is reasonable enough that I would gladly have paid it.

Reviewed 17 April 2017

We did a short half day snorkel with Don Foster. Their dock is a short five-minute walk from the cruise ship terminal. Saw some very pretty fish, also some Tarpon and a very large ray. The crew were very friendly, gave good instruction to the first timers, and generally seemed to want everyone to enjoy themselves.

My tips:
1. book the noon-ish snorkel. My cruise ship had to tender (bring you to shore) on a smaller vessel, and the line-ups for it in the morning were a total cattle call. But the chaos subsided after about 11, and not only did we walk on without any lines at noon, but we avoided the long return lines by waiting until closer to 3 and breezed back on.
2. Caveat to #1: you might see different or more fish in the morning before the first snorkel group scares em away
3. Bring your waterproof camera or GoPro!
4. Bring a sweatshirt. Yes, I know it's the Caribbean, but with the breeze in the afternoon, I actually got a bit chilled and would have been happy for something to wrap up in.

1  Thank MeredithBee