“Best hotel in BVI”

Peter Island Resort and Spa
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Peter Island
Reviewed 25 August 2008

My husband and myself spent 1 week at PI for our honeymoon and was great. After that we went to Little DixBay but Peter Island is by far better.

The location is great: a private island with beautiful beach and sea. The service is just great: people are nice and really high level. The restaurants are ok. The only weak point are the rooms: I thinkt hey need some imporvements as are not really upscale.

• Stayed: May 2008, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Angeladt
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.

Reviewed 18 August 2008

Peter Island Resort is spectacular - from the moment we arrived, we were their guests, not their customers. The staff is outstanding, consistent, and eager to please. We found the food, especially beachside at Deadman's Beach, delicious with good variety, and the beaches pristine, private, and peaceful. My wife and I especially enjoyed the mammoth spa on the point which is both new and head and shoulders above all other spas we have visited. Admittedly, the bathrooms needed an upgrade, especially the ventilation, but this aspect was offset by the tremendous service, views, peace, and relaxation throughout PIR. Book it, go, and don't look back - this place trumps Little Dix and it's better value. We can't wait to go back.

• Stayed: October 2007, travelled as a couple
2  Thank UltraTraveler
Reviewed 11 August 2008

My wife and I just returned from Peter Island. After more than a year of research, we settled on Peter Island for our anniversary trip. We went with high expectations and the resort exceeded them.

We stayed in the beachfront Jr. suites. The rooms were large and comfortable and came with an amazing view. The easy access to the beach was great. Most mornings we had deadmans beach all to ourselves. We also found the food to be very good.

We wanted a place to relax and enjoy each others company. We weren't disappointed. We would highly recommend it to couples looking to enjoy some quite time together.

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled as a couple
1  Thank JBinTopKan
Reviewed 24 June 2008

My wife and I went to Peter Island late last June for our 20th Anniversary and loved it so much that we went again this June; we returned just last night. And I'm pleased to report that the quality and consistency of PI is still as good as it gets.

One thing we did this year that we didn't last is the Thursday excursion to Cooper Island and the Baths for snorkeling. We missed it last year because we went Thursday to Thursday, meaning we arrived late Thursday (after the excursion) and left early the following Thursday (before that day's excursion). But this year, we went Monday to Monday, so the Thursday excursion was no problem at all. This is a must see/must do snorkeling trip -- one of the highlights of our stay this year. I highly recommend it -- and I would also suggest not booking your trip from a Thursday to Thursday like we did last year. I may be wrong, but I don't believe they will make arrangements for this same trip on any other day -- unless you are willing to pay for a private charter (ours was included in the Romance Package).

One other difference between this year and last is that we ate a lot more of our dinners at Deadman's rather than Tradewinds. We have come to prefer Deadman's casual style (shorts are okay for men) and the cool breeze off the sea. Also, we find the food at Deadman's to be just as good as Tradewinds -- and the menu is certainly not merely burgers and salads as you might expect at a casual restaurant. In fact, one night we had lobster at Deadman's and another night we had grouper. This was probably the best meal of the whole trip. With that said, I would still eat at Tradewinds. There are nights when only Tradewinds is open (like the seafood buffet) and you will enjoy it. Like I said, we've just come to prefer the casual atmosphere of Deadman's.

I could go on and on about how great PI is. The bottom line for us is that we have discovered our home away from home in Peter Island -- and hope you will, too!

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled as a couple
6  Thank Pasquali56
Reviewed 6 June 2008

Hi All:

Just want to apologize for the length of this trip report. It really is more like a novel. Hopefully it won’t bore you with too much detail, just couldn’t help myself. I will post on here and one other site that helped me with reviews before our trip. Once again thank you all so much for your help. We loved every minute of it...literally!

Peter Island Resort, May 17 - May 22, 2008

Day 1 - Saturday, May 17

Up at 2:30 a.m., of course we tried to go to bed early Friday night, hahaha, I think we had about 2 ½ hours of sleep, but who cares, we figured will sleep on the beach. We had to be at JFK by 4:45, flight was at 6:50. Flight from JFK to SJU (AA) was on time. Third time going to SJU, second for the BVI, no problems to report (until the way home).

Arrived in SJU, got on our 12:20 flight (AE) to EIS, and just by the views from the plane, we were on our way to the beautiful Caribbean! Arrived at EIS a few minutes earlier than the scheduled 1:04 landing, went through Customs/Immigration (I think) took a little bit, but now we were truly on island time and did not care! Got our bags (of course someone wanted to help us, but we knew it was only right through those doors that we needed to go), walked through the doors, and there was a lady holding a sign for “Peter Island”. Perfect timing, got us in a van with another couple, and on the way to the PI Dock we went.

We saw a lot of steep hills and goats on the way, we were here in beautiful Tortola once again. Unfortunately, dh and I both smoke, so we had not had a cigarette since 4:30 in the morning, we asked when we got to the dock if we were allowed to smoke outside, “no problem mon”. Actually felt a little woozy after that, time to quit smoking for both of us. The funny thing is (especially in SJU) they sell them all over the place, but you can’t smoke anywhere. More on that later for our trip home.

PI has their own dock and a little air-conditioned office set up, they welcomed us in, offered us drinks (at no charge this time) and cold towels. We both ordered our first icy cold Caribs…ahhhhhh! Sat and waited not even 10 minutes for their ferry. Boarded the ferry with the other couple, and I think everyone else were workers from the resort. What nice people we met already. The boat ride over is just beautiful! About a ½ hour (if I remember correctly) ride over to Peter Island Resort….here we are for the next 5 days!

All I can say is OMG! It is just beautiful. I have done so much research, read so many reviews, and saw so many pictures of this place, and it was just not the same as seeing it in person. Got off the boat, they gave us an overview of the island, and on a golf cart off to our room we were taken.

We stayed in an OV room, room #119. We decided to stay in the OV rooms because the $300 difference in price for the beachfront was just a little too much. I am so glad we did. I have read so many reviews that people said the rooms were rundown, and they were not happy about the size, etc. Well, we were very happy with our room. It was bigger than I thought, the view of Tortola from the balcony was awesome, and yes, there were palm trees in the way, but are you kidding? That was part of the beautiful view, for us anyway. We couldn’t have been happier.

We used to be very room-conscious people. When we stayed at Biras Creek, VG, in August of 2004, we had the Grand Suite, it was really nice, but I think the prices of the nicer rooms are just not worth it anymore. I think the older we are getting the more we realize, how much time do we actually spend in the room anyway? Especially here, the resort is so beautiful, the room was just for showering and sleeping pretty much. But, all in all, we were happy with our room. Coffee pot, regular shower and bath, nice comfy bed, great balcony, safe, little refrigerator, and what did we have waiting for us? An icy cold bottle of champagne from the Manager, welcoming us, and wishing us a Happy Anniversary! That was really nice.

We opened up the two Caribs that were stocked in our little fridge, and unpacked pretty quickly. It was now a little after 3:00, and we wanted to walk around and see Deadman’s Beach. We walked down to the beach, and all I can say again is WOW! Absolutely beautiful! The views, the sand, the crystal clear blue water….we made it. Went right up to the beach bar and met Susan, our first bartender for that day, and ordered our first two Painkillers. Yummmm! No offense to Bira’s Painkillers, but they were the first ones we ever had, and these just blew them out of the water (no pun intended). These were creamy, and just delicious! Walked down on to the sand, pulled up a lounge chair and sat right by the water. Swam a little, relaxed, and soaked up a little sun.

Went back to our room a little later to get ready for dinner. Popped open the champagne! (after the 2 caribs, and painkillers, well let’s just say we started this vacation off very happy!) This was still Saturday, to us it felt like another day already. That was the good part about leaving from home so early. We still had the afternoon and evening to enjoy. Saturday night was their Caribbean/Seafood Buffet Dinner at Tradewinds.

The food was great. All sorts of food. Kismet, our waitress was really great too. Everyone here is so nice. The food was great, all sorts of appetizers, shrimp, salads, crab claws etc., main dinner was stuffed pork, sushi (not really for me, but dh likes it), smoked salmon, and honestly, after a few more cocktails I don’t recall the whole menu.

There was a band playing that night, and the two of us got up from the dinner table and danced under the stars and moon for what felt like a few hours. We were the only ones dancing at first, and then were joined by a few others. It was just perfect, and the band was great.

Literally stumbled back to our room, and passed out for the night.

Day 2 - Sunday, May 18
We both slept great. DH was up at 6 to his morning jog, which he did everyday while we were here. He got to see some magnificent views from way up on the island, and somehow managed to “brush” against a cactus and had long spurs in his arm…came back with red marks on him that were swollen the whole time we were there LOL, sorry, just had to laugh! I was going to join him a couple of times, but the hills are very steep, and if you don’t get out there early, it gets very hot and even harder to walk. I didn’t want to kill myself on hiking, so I decided not to go. Maybe next time.

Went to breakfast…and we just had to order the coconut crusted French toast that I heard so much about, out of this world! We met Jeanne, they call her their Lady of the Island. She has worked there for a long time and is just soooo sweet and kind. It felt like we knew her already. I had spoken with her a few times on the phone, but it was nice to meet her in person.

We made our dinner reservations for Tradewinds that night, booked our picnic lunch on White Bay for Monday, and our Sunset @ the Loop for Tuesday. Went to the dive shop to pick up some fins. Then off to Deadman’s for the day.

A day of total relaxation. We got to meet Stephen, the bartender at Deadman’s. Just like I have heard from reading reviews, super super nice guy! Took our drink order for 2 caribs, and a few minutes later, they arrived at our little spot in an icy silver bucket! We just couldn’t ask for anything more.

We snorkeled, got to see a lot of fish too. We mostly snorkeled to the left of the beach (in front of the beachfront suites) at the point. It was great, you do have to be a little careful, especially if you snorkel outside the swimming area because of some of the boats that go by….I was a little nervous about that, but it ended up being fine. DH snorkeled the other side one day, and didn’t see as many fish, but did see a stingray that day. The snorkeling was really good, in our opinion. Relaxed on the beach more…how does relaxing on the beach get you so tired and hungry all the time? hehe Again, the shock of the beauty is still setting in on both of us. We were in awe. A few catamarans and yachts and other sailboats etc, just looked beautiful on the bay. Ahhhhhh…paradise!

Ate lunch at Deadman’s Bar & Grill (Caesar salad with grilled shrimp, and a jerk pork wrap for me, fried calamari with a chipotle sauce, and a skirt steak sandwich for him). Again, the food was really really good. Along with my first Bushwacker! WOW! Now you know why I was looking for the recipe when we came home….soooo good.

They had a steel-drum band playing during lunch “The Shooting Stars”. Jeanne and Stephen both danced. It was really a lot of fun, and great music. We purchased one of the bands cd’s that Jeanne sold to us, so at least we can listen to them while at home, depressed, and drinking bushwackers and painkillers LOL.

Left the beach around 4:00, stopped up at Tradewinds for “high tea” (I love that). Back to the room, relaxed a little, called home just once to check on my cat…had to. She was fine, and so was everyone else. Felt like we were gone for days already, but it has really just begun! Got fixed up for dinner at Tradewinds again that night. Bottle of nice red wine, appetizers (shrimp and asparagus risotto for me, Caesar salad, and pan seared scallops for him), really good, dinner (beef tenderloin with a mint orzo for me…perfect, rack of lamb for him…also perfect). The waitress that night recommended the Lemon Tart for dessert for dh, which was really good, and I had a chocolate truffle with caramel in the center… OMG, I really was in heaven. Cappacinos and frangelico, and we were stuffed and satisfied. Once again, the food was great, as well as the service.

Then we walked on the beach under the (almost) full-moon! It was spectacular. These memories will be forever in my mind. The stars, the moon, us, toes in the sand and water at night, we just couldn’t ask for anything else, truly peaceful. What a way to end a perfect day!

Day 3 - Monday, May 19

Breakfast at Tradewinds. DH ordered the banana pancakes with tamarind syrup…WOW again, really really good. Went back to room to pack up for our 10 am trip to White Bay for the day.

We already ordered from the menu for our picnic lunch when we made the appointment the day before. DH wanted to have a separate cooler for us before lunch with a six pack of Caribs. I already knew what the price was going to be thanks to the TTOLers out there, and it was not a problem for us, but it was $38.00 for a six pack LOL! Well worth it though. They packed it in one of the lunch coolers that we will see more of later when they deliver the lunch. It was nice to have a few beers before, during and after lunch though. So the price was worth it for us anyway.

White Bay Beach was really nice. They have I think about seven huts or so set up, with a pretty nice distance between each for privacy. A few other couples were with us as well. We were in hut #4, kind of right in the middle of the beach, which was great since the snorkeling was good on both sides. The snorkeling (especially to the right) was really nice. A lot, a lot of underwater huge rocks, with a lot of fish too.

The beach was beautiful, with the view of Norman Island in the distance. Another perfect day in paradise. Lunch was delivered to us in another cooler like the one we already had for the beer LOL, at 12:15. I had ordered the roasted vegetable sandwich, dh had the roast beef. They really pack it up nice, with these trays that have compartments, one with tomatoes and pickles, one with fresh fruit, the other with bow tie pasta salad, and how dare I forget, the last one had their delicious cookies..oatmeal/coconut, and chocolate chip…heaven in a cooler LOL. I have to say, the veggie sandwich was really really good, so was the roast beef, but the veggies were just perfect. It really hit the spot. DH even liked mine better (we shared, of course). They also pack a huge bottle of water with your lunch, which was nice.

We swam, relaxed, snorkeled, and just soaked in every single minute that we could. The birds just walk around hoping you will give them a crumb or two, they are really cool looking seagulls I think? Different then the birds here in NY.

White Bay was beautiful. The ride going there from the other side is amazing. The views that you see are just indescribable, not to mention the very steep road, glad I wasn’t driving that is for sure. Still trying to figure out how my dh managed to see some of this already on his morning jog. The owner’s villa (I think Eagle’s Nest?) is up there, and I believe Falcons Nest as well as Ravens nest too. What incredible views.

I thought White Bay’s beach was really nice. In my honest opinion, I think the actual beauty of Deadman’s might be a little prettier. Don’t get me wrong, white bay was beautiful, quiet, and just perfect. I think that Deadmans is a little prettier, whiter sand (don’t get why they call white bay white bay LOL), and a little bit better snorkeling and views as well. Not complaining at all…would stay on either one forever if we could, no problem whatsoever. Deadmans has more people, but it just never felt crowded there either.

We chatted with a few other couples that we met (more great people) while waiting to get picked up at 3:15. Then we were driven? back to our new home to get ready for the Managers Cocktail Party and the West Indian Night Buffet at Deadman’s. Stopped for High Tea again, and back to our room.

The drinks (on them for the hour) were rum punch…yummy. Chatted with some people, again, guests as well as staff were just great. Listened to the Shooting Stars Band that we heard the day before during lunch, playing while people chatted, drank, ate appetizers, right on the beach, ahhhh…perfect once again. Then we went to sit down for the buffet dinner.

The buffet was awesome. Bottle of wine for us (again LOL), all kinds of salads, jerk chicken, beef patties, beef stew, roasted veggies, shrimp skewers, mahi mahi, rice and beans (or peas? I think they call it), pork loin and on and on and on. I had never imagined buffet food to be so good. It was great. No complaints at all about the food for us Nyers so far.

Then we got to see the Jumby Dancers. WOW! Young guys on really really tall stilts, dancing in front of the band, they were incredible. Very entertaining. What a night! Finished dinner, took our shoes off and walked back to our room via the beach once again. The moon, stars, sand, I can truly get used to this and already have…seriously.

Stopped at the club house by the pool near Tradewinds to play a few games of pool with dh. There is a tv in there (which I really didn’t miss at all, nor did dh), and computers for the guests to use, and a chess board set up. Really nice. A nice way to end the evening. We are suckers for pool/billiards, darts etc., so it was a fun way to end the night. Didn’t even really look at the tv or the computers, we left all that home, and were glad we did.

Day 4 - Tuesday, May 20

Breakfast first, then off to Deadman’s for the early day. Jeanne knew we were leaving on Thursday, and she was off for the next two days, so she said her goodbyes to us then, what a lady! We will never forget her. We were there at 9:45, and had the whole day to just relax. I guess we were “limin”. Beautiful boats by little deadmans, beautiful views, water, sand, sun, Stephen came by and said he would visit us again for our cocktail order again hahaha…I think we were known by everyone here by now. Whoever said you only have to tell the staff at PI your name once was correct. Everyone knew us on day one, nevermind day four! Bushwackers to come shortly thereafter…delicious again!

Lunch at Deadmans bar & grill was great once again. I had a spinach salad with feta, walnuts, and beets(didn’t even know I liked them), and it was really good. DH had the calamari again. I had a turkey club, he had the PI famous ribs…he said they were outstanding. I had heard about them on ScubaMom’s website.

I can’t believe that we actually lost weight on this vacation. The amount of great food they feed you, and the drinks, it amazes me. I guess lifting our arms to our mouths frequently was good exercise after all. And, I guess the walking to the beach in the morning, swimming and snorkeling helped as well.

By now we knew a bunch of other guests, and chatted with them all. People from DC, NY (like us), Chicago, DC again, NC, KY….all seemed to be so nice and having just as much fun as us. It’s great here, if you want to talk to people you can, if you want to be alone, you can as well.

Back to our room later on in the day to get ready for our Sunset at the Loop trip. Word of advice to anyone who wants to do this trip. When you make your reservation (which I think they go every single day at 5:30), if you would like to have a drink (wine or champagne) with your platter of cheese and crackers that they give you as part of your trip, ask to see the menu for the wine or champagne if they do not offer it to you. We were given a menu, and ordered wine when we made our reservation. But, there was another couple that we met up there at the Loop, that did not know that they could have ordered (you have to pay for it though) a bottle. They were honeymooners, and we all offered them some of our own drinks, but they said they were never told. So, just a quick tip for anyone who would be interested, make sure you ask if they do not offer you a menu!

Wow once again! The ride up to “The Loop” indescribable. Got to see the spa from way up high, all of the other beaches, just amazing. Lot’s of goats on the way as well. Our driver showed us St. Croix way off on the horizon. Once you get to the Loop…the views of the back side of St. John are right there where the sun will set. Spectacular! The sunset was breathtaking. We got to see two rainbows while up there as well, due to the little “squall” of rain that we had…5 minutes, not even, and the rain was gone. Which, by the way, made up a really beautiful sunset. They have an array of Adirondack type chairs (in rainbow colors lol) set up there, with tables, and they put your cheese platter, and your bottle of wine or champagne there for you to enjoy. Then they leave you there for an hour or so to watch the sunset. Words just can’t describe it. Amazing! Between White Bay the day before, and the Sunset trip, I wanted to do them both again. Next time we go back….2 times for each of those trips…it was so worth it.

Nice company, beautiful sunset. Perfection!

Back to Tradewinds for dinner tonight. Bar first (what else is new), where dh had a Dark’n Stormy. For those of you who don’t know, that is I think goslings rum, and ginger beer..he loved it. Mai Tai for me…yummy!

Dinner was great. They had lobster on the menu tonight. I had a chicken and dumpling soup to start (really good), dh had smoked salmon stuffed with goat cheese over shredded potato, very good as well. We both ordered the lobster which was a baked tail. Very big, with a garlicky sauce over the top, mashed potatoes, and baby spinach on the side. Delicious! Of course I had to have dessert…chocolate tortes over a scoop of baileys ice cream, no need to say how good it was, it speaks for itself!

The full moon was here tonight, but it was a little too windy to walk back on the beach. So, we stumbled back on the road for another restful, peaceful evening.

Day 5, Wednesday, May 21st (Our 19th Anniversary)

It was hard to believe that 19 years ago we got married, and the following day were on our way to Anguilla via our first JFK-SJU flight. Boy, does time fly! Anguilla was beautiful too, but when we came to the BVI 4 years ago, I think we truly found paradise.

Anyway, Day 5. Our last full day on PI. Didn’t want to think of that all day. All I have to say is thank God for my soulmate, there is nobody else I would rather be with, and nowhere else I would rather be on this day.

Shopped at the giftstore (with a little help from Charity…what a sweetheart, one of our waitresses on one of our days or nights). Some really nice things there (a little expensive, but who cares). Picked up a few momentos, and a gift for our Mom (my mom in law) for taking care of my kitty. Walked around, and then said…Let’s Go once again!

Off to Deadman’s for the entire rest of the day! Made our dinner reservations for our last night at Deadman’s tonight as well. Saw our friends that we met, on the beach, and they actually remembered that today was our Anniversary…I couldn’t believe it. They were just so nice. They bought us drinks at the bar before lunch. I will never forget them. What a nice couple (from DC moving to Philly). Dh snorkeled the right side this time (by little deadman’s) and that is where he saw the stingray. We both snorkeled for the last time that day. It was beautiful. We couldn’t get our normal “spot” on the beach this day, so we moved down a little closer to Deadmans B&G. Dh layed in the hammock for awhile, just so relaxing.

For lunch, I had a pizza. Now, being from NY, I did not expect much, but have to say it was really good. Fresh tomato and ham with provolone…yummy! It was so big that I even gave our waitress a piece hehe. Dh had the spinach salad that I had the other day because it was so good, and he had a pepper crusted salmon. Another painkiller did the trick after that!

Had tea time again…iced tea this time, by the pool. Watched a cruise ship going by to Tortola. Kind of felt bad for them thinking that they were wishing they were on the island with us. We have cruised 2 times in the past few years, one was ok, the other was better, but we are definitely “land-based” vacationers, especially when it is just the two of us. The ship looked pretty out there though.

Back to room. Got ready for our last night’s dinner.

Dinner for the last night was at Deadman’s. We were told there would be a band there again, and there was. They were called a rock/reggae band and were very good. Collin, who is a staff member on PI that we met coming over on their ferry, was a singer in the band. Someone got wind that it was our Anniversary and the band actually dedicated a song to us, all of our friends toasted to us in the restaurant. It was very touching. Another great memory.

I had a chicken samosa with a yogurt dipping sauce for an appetizer, dh had black bean soup or navy bean, not sure, and a crab cake which was very good. They sat us at a big table right up in the front of the restaurant for our special evening. Perfect spot! I had penne pasta with broccoli and veggies, dh got the pan-seared grouper, which I tasted and it was delicious.

Rum coconut tarte and vanilla crème caramel brulee for desserts..yummy as usual. Said goodnight to everyone, walked under the full moon for our last night at PI. Before we started our walk, we saw our waitiress Claudette carrying a table and chairs that someone had used for a dinner right on the beach. Dh helped her bring the table and chairs back to the restaurant. Why not? They were the nicest people, so if he could help someone and return the “niceness” he would and did. What a guy! One of the many reasons we made it to 19 years!

Back to our room. Read our “departure” information. Packed up (not willingly), and sacked out. What a great Anniversary!

Day 6 - Thursday, May 22

Went for our last breakfast. Said goodbye to the friends we met. The staff that we saw were hugging and kissing us goodbye. It was just so nice. They even offered to pack us a lunch to eat at the airport on the way home, which we declined because it was soon after breakfast and a little too early for lunch…if we only knew what was coming. Had to get finished, checked out (wow, the drinks were expensive, well worth it, but expensive LOL..the bill proved it), and board the 11:00 ferry ride back to Beef Island for our plane ride home…this was the only “not fun” part of the whole entire 6 days!

Ferry ride back to Beef Island was fine…a little choppy, so we had to sit inside, but we were well just bluck about leaving anyway, so it didn’t matter. Got there, into cab, to airport, no problems again at all. Checked in at the airport, went through security (they took our lighters, were allowed one each on the way, but not the way home…whatever, didn’t care because we knew we couldn’t smoke anyway), and sat in the gate area about 1 hr 45 min til our 1:34 pm flight.

Shortly after waiting, we were told by the AA representative that our flight coming in from SJU (AE) was going to be late..about an hour. Spoke to her, she said it would probably leave here by 2:30 and we will hopefully make our 4:30 pm flight from SJU to JFK. Well, so much for having over a two hour in between time, we knew that we would really be pushing making our flight. She told us there was another one at 6:30 if we missed the 4:30. Anyway, the flight showed up, we took off at about 2:30-2:40 I think.

We were a little worried, but after reading someone elses post on TTOL about their car being stolen on their way home, I forget who that was, but he really still maintained the “island time and way” and took it lightheartedly, I figured who cares, it can’t be that bad.

Well, on the plane, a lady was announcing all the connecting flights as usual, and I could have sworn she said our flight is leaving on time at gate whatever at 7:10 not 4:30? I thought that’s what I heard, but was not sure. There was a lot of people on the plane stressing because they didn’t think they would make their connecting flights etc., so it was a little chaotic. Well, then we were almost at SJU, and the weather was horrible. We landed in pouring rain and knew we would have to like “run” to the other side of SJ to get our bags…by the way they took our carryon bags on AE, and because of the rain, they said they would be at the AA terminal….now I was worried because that bag did not have any flight info on it etc., but still, “island time” don’t panick.

We literally hung on to the handles and each other on the bus to the terminal. Ran (soaked) through to C&I (and yes, it is a loooong walk/run). Got to AA terminal to get our bags, which were not on the belt they said..it was really a mess. Still had to get the bags and go through customs…well we looked up at the departure flights, and our flight was delayed…first til 7:10, then til 8:00. So, now we knew we had a long time, so no rush right? Wrong. Got the bags (all of them), they were really wet already…went through customs, which was really easy. Walked out, and they took our bags from us to check for our flight, before we could go the AA and see what the problem was. When we asked AA why the flight was delayed so long (we saw others to JFK that were on time, but thought it was because of the bad weather in SJU and NY) the answer we got was “the plane is broken, stuck in Orlando, and we are working on getting another plane”. Well, I guess if the plane was “broken” we didn’t want it anyway. So, now that we knew we were going to be waiting a long time, it was too late to get another flight because they already took our bags that would be on our flight, whenever it left. So, now no rush at all. We have a long time.

Then we checked the board again, and now the flight was delayed again, this time until 8:44 p.m. Ugh! We were stuck in SJU for what seemed like forever. We asked someone where we could get a bite to eat, and smoke. We went outside to smoke, made a few phone calls, one for the car that was picking us up at 8:30 LOL at JFK. Smoked, then came back in to get a bite to eat….had to go back through security…big mistake! That took like an hour, it was packed. That’s what we get for smoking! Finally got back inside around 5:30. Went to the gate where our 6 hour late flight would be leaving from, checked in with AA again.

This time, at least this lady was a little helpful. She gave us two $10 vouchers for food, apologized, told us to go get a bite to eat, take our time LOL, and they did have a plane that was due to arrive around 8:45. Flight would probably leave at 9:00 p.m. It did! We finally landed at 1:00 a.m., home safe and sound by around 3:15. What a long, not fun way home to a great, great vacation. Should have taken the lunch from PI afterall LOL.

They must have left our bags out on the runway for the whole 6 hour delay, because all of our stuff (when I unpacked the next day) was drenched! Not ruined, but really wet, and not fun. Just a lot of wash to do, most of the stuff we didn’t even wear, wet and had to be washed. Ugh! Welcome home LOL.

All in all, at least we got home. Looked at the bright side, and said, well at least we got home and we actually came home with the right bags..they made it, and so did we! Seriously thinking about JFK to STT, and then ferry to Tortola next time though!

The end! (finally)

I am not going to compare this trip to our trip to Biras Creek on Virgin Gorda four years ago. That was fantastic too. I think PIR’s beaches were better for what we were looking for though (only comparison). It was just perfect for the both of us. DH was never so relaxed as he was when we were there.

The staff was wonderful, the food was great, the place was just absolutely incredible. My only regrets are not going to White bay another day, not doing the sunset loop another day, not actually seeing the inside of beachfront suites (although, like I said the OV was just fine), not going to the spa (but not really spa people…we were going to do the “mud bowls” but they ran out of mud! LOL), not hiking with DH, and finally, last regret…not spending another week!

We will definitely be going back, we found a step above heaven this time!

• Stayed: May 2008
13.0 km away
Long Bay Beach Club
Long Bay Beach Club
#7 of 25 in Tortola

Been to Peter Island Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK