“Unfriendly”

Ranked #1 of 8 Restaurants in Castlederg
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 6 April 2018

My mum, myself and my 2 children went to this restaurant midweek. We had not booked but the restaurant was not full. Unfortunately the woman who "greeted" us was probably the most unfriendly member of the hospitality service i have ever met. She was so unwelcoming and dismissive. We were made to feel completely uncomfortable. She was so rude we actually left.

9  Thank annemarieomagh

Reviewed 1 April 2018

Booked for 4 people for 6-30pm. We got the early bird menu £13-50 for two courses. So much to choose. I had pulled pork sausage roll for starter and venison for my main. Soooo good. Staff were friendly professional and very polite. Access from the Main Street was level with no steps. All four meals were off high quality produce. I will definitely be back.

2  Thank decker2017
Reviewed 25 March 2018

I have waited 24 hours to write this review so that I would not be overly critical.But this has not helped.(I have had to dash to the loo 3 times!!) We were invited by friends to dinner on Saturday 24th March. The restaurant was buzzing and most of the tables were filled. A good sign surely.
After a fairly lengthy wait we were taken to our table. It was dirty, dried on sauces I think. It took ages to have the order taken and even longer to get the food. I ordered the smoked haddock scotch egg. There was little or no smoked haddock and it was cold. My wife's main course was cold. The plates were cold and dirty too. I asked 3 times for a pepper mill and when I picked it up it was sticky and dirty too. The hygiene was shockingly bad. I really feel it needs a thorough inspection as the hygiene was particularly bad in all areas of the restaurant.
A few examples include
Dirty food stained tables
Dirty greasy plates
Dirty food stained peppermill
Cold water in the public toilet
Customers smoking at the front door

The fact that there was only 1 toilet for a fully packed restaurant cannot be right. I had to wait while two other customers used the only toilet available which doubled as a disabled\-baby changing toilet. While waiting to use the toilet I looked through the window of the kitchen door. The kitchen was filthy with a tray of meringues balanced on top of a bin stand. The chef was plating up desserts right beside the bin.The flour containers were filthy too. The chef did not have a hat on and there was dirty crockery stacked on every available surface. There wasn't any cleaning schedules to show when the toilets were last cleaned. The waiter told us that they had served over 200 people that day.
This place needs an overhaul and the owners should waken up to the fact that they will seriously injure someone's health. Staff waiting skills were deplorable although they were at least friendly. As we were with friends we left a 20.00 tip. I hope they buy a mirror for the bathroom with the money. The head chef needs to get a new food probe to properly test the temperature of the food.

10  Thank Eddie M
Anniemc79, Owner at Red Pepper, responded to this reviewResponded 3 April 2018

Thank you very much for taking the time to leave us your feedback which i am really disappointed to read, that said however we do take all comments on board but i feel very strongly that i do have to correct you on a few of your points.
Firstly if you are implying, with your toilet remarks, what i think you are, you should most definitely have contacted environmental health.
We have had our visit and food hygiene scoring the week previous to your visit so can address any issues you would have with our policy and procedures with John Murray.
With regard to the photos posted:
The dessert plate that you are showing as stained has a chocolate paint on which is part of the dish.
Had your Duck dish been cold why not bring it to our attention we would have rectified the situation immediately, these things can happen but we are very professional in how we deal with them.
The quail is on the menu as whole roast surely you would have known a bird has bones.
We have 4 toilets in the restaurant which we would have been more than happy to show you had you asked.
The dirty crockery was stacked in the kitchen in the dishwasher area, we are busy but this we feel is a appropriate place to keep it.
The Meringues are Stacked on trays in the dry goods stand in the kitchen.
We have cleaning schedules for every department.
All this said had u been as disappointed as you are slanderous in your review ( an implication of food poisoning is very serious - to us anyway) we would have thought you would have made it known to us rather than for the world to see. This comes across as petty to me.
We are very professional in the conducting of our business, hence why we are so busy as you indicted, which also means that we will stand over our establishment, food and team. Colin & Ann Marie McMenamin

Reviewed 7 March 2018 via mobile

my son and I visited the red pepper on Monday to mark my 50th birthday. We had great food I opted for the pate followed by venison my son had soup and chicken there is something for all tastes and desert was amazing chocolate delice and chocolate brownie all accompanied by a warm friendly service. see you again soon

1  Thank Margaret H
Reviewed 8 February 2018 via mobile

The towns we passed from Donegal to Castelderg didn’t even have a coffee shop open after 4pm (its off season right now) We were wondering if we would even get anything to eat in Castelderg - our halt for the night.

My stomach is rebelling at the fried, cheesy, potato and bread overload from pub style food.

When we reached Castelderg, all we could see were takeaway places that didn’t even have a chair to sit on, forget a table.

We weren’t sure how our B&B would feel about us bringing a takeaway to eat in their dining room (I can’t abide the smell of food in the bedroom).

Then we suddenly saw this sit down place. We weren’t even sure from the lighting if it was open. But we parked and they said they were serving dinner.

The menu looked standard, but we were just grateful for a quiet place to sit down and eat. What followed has to be the biggest surprise of this trip foodwise.

Red Pepper restaurant served us Michelin quality food, that people would queue up for hours in London!

We started with a duck liver pate and a vegetable soup. I ordered a grilled chicken main and we had creme brûlée and vanilla pannacotta for dessert. He asked for a large whisky with hot water, they recommended adding cloves and lemon (free Irish warming cocktail upgrade alert)

The bill for all of this was 29£ Yes Twenty Nine Pounds only.

The quality, the presentation and the fantastically friendly service! Colin & Marie are doing everything right!

3  Thank Karishma-Kim