“Great for the price”

Ranked #5 of 7 Hotels in Virgin Gorda
Helena, AL
“Great for the price”
Reviewed 3 May 2012

I agree about the grumpy desk clerk. We have been here twice, and the first time the clerk was more helpful, but our last trip just two weeks ago, the clerk wasn't so helpful. The restaurant has good food, but there are other restaurants near by with comparable food and prices. Very simple room, not as clean as I would like, but you have to remember you are not in the US so the cleanliness if different. We have stayed here twice, once in a beachfront cottage, and once in a garden view hotel room. We would stay again too I think. The only bad thing is, if you want to swim at the beach, go to a different one, sitting around is fine, but there are cleaner beaches to swim at than at Fischer's Cove.

Room Tip: Remember some rooms here have AC and some do not, so choose wisely depending on the time of year.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank KtW36
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Idaho
Reviewed 18 April 2012

My daughter and I did the package deal with the meal plan. We were on a budget and figured you got what you paid for. Our room looked like it was in the middle of a renovation. Bed area was new and nice. Bathroom was sketchy. Loved the resturant and server and enjoyed the food, When we went to check out the girl did not understand that we had done the meal plan (I had only paid a deposit on my credit card). She kept charging us for exact meal charges and coming up with different figures for the balance. I finally had to add it up myself and show it to her. She went into the back room for approval and said it was Ok. Since I pd the balance in cash I asked for a reciept. She was unhappy with this and when we thanked her and turned to leave she headed for the back room and slammed the door. So just check your final bill closely.

Room Tip: Take a look at them before agreeing to spend the night
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank bluetoad13
Boston
Reviewed 23 March 2012

We stayed at FC for a day and half. We are writing this review from the perpective of two people who have travelled to many islands and central america and stayed in modest accommodations suchaas apartments, campgrounds, a small cottages.
The hotel:
We stayed in a motel room - not the cottage- the room looked liked it has not been painted for 50 years. One chair in the room only and it looked like it was picked up at a dump. The bed and the mattress felt like it would end up in the floor at any moment. The walls had black mold (fungus). We did not want to step in the shower - it was that bad. The louver windows were covered with plexi (plastic) sheets and the curtains could not even be pull aside to get some light in the room.
We looked at one of the four or so cottages. The small kitchen was in from of the bed in the same sleeping area.

The restaurant experience was as bad as the accommodations. We orderd conch fritters- they were burned and salty. The pumpkin soup was watery and it lacked any flavor. The white wine was vinegar- oubviouly left in a hot room for a long time.

If you are a same sex couple traveling - be prepare to explain that sharing a single bed is not a problem- to them it may be so.
Overall- for the price and the location- it is a bad deal. Check Guavaberry Spring Bay- it is worth it!!!

Room Tip: Deceiving from the pictures and reviews
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
5 Thank culebra1
dc
Reviewed 22 March 2012

This place was the best! NOT A STERILE CHAIN HOTEL. If you want a sterile chain or an all inclusive resort, look elsewhere. This perfect gem is 8 little cottages with kitchenettes, painted in bright colors, surrounded by a lovely garden. All are facing the ocean, though set back a bit. It has ocean facing hammocks, and a lovely dining room overlooking the ocean that I wish I were at right now. Run by the nicest family you could hope to meet. Hummingbirds and bananaquits abound.

The only thing that was problematic was the noise. I was worried about it due to reading some earlier reviews, so I called and asked, and was told that the marina only played on weekends. That was true. But, they failed to mention that there is a bar on the grounds that played music every night from 7:30 or 8:30 to midnight or 3 am, as the impulse hit them. The music is not directly audible from the cottages, but the bass is, as is the undifferentiated sound of music, as opposed to the actual lyrics and melody being audible. The underlying hum of the music, punctuated by the boom boom, boom boom, of the bass, made it impossible to do what I came for, which was to go to sleep to the sound of the surf and the wind in the trees. The owner is working on this problem, perhaps going to install a sound-diverting wall, but I would ask if it has been fixed if you want peace and quiet during those hours.

The marina is nearby, but as mentioned they usually only play music on the weekends and holidays. Also nearby is a fundamentalist church with perhaps 10-12 members that has open-air services at night, on some nights, not all, from 7 or 8 until 11 pm or so, with amplified sound that makes it impossible to sleep or do anything but listen to their choice of soundtrack. Why they need amplified sound for the 10 people in attendance is beyond me, but they do it and have the volume on 10. I don't think the hotel owners can do anything about them, so that is probably a fixed problem unless the local tourist board takes them on.

And, if you get rude people staying in the other cottages, you are out of luck, as the cottages are set closely together. Almost everyone that stayed there while I was there was wonderful and polite. But the people in the next cottage over from mine played their own hideous music, loudly, in competition with the church and the bar, so there was no hope of ever getting to fall asleep to the sound of the waves. And the gentleman of the couple snored so loud I thought he was in bed with me. Now, he could not help his snoring problem, but I have never run into people except at a youth hostel who think it is polite to subject the entire hotel to their choice of music. It was the typical "ugly American" scenario, which I have been lucky to avoid thus far in my travels. Obviously this was not the fault of the owners any more than the church. However, be aware that the cottages are close enough together that if you are unlucky enough to have a rude neighbor, you will hear them. And, Virgin Gorda seems primarily to be visited by Americans and Germans, so the likelihood of a rude neighbor seems increased over other Caribbean destinations such as Saba or Trinidad.

But outside of the noise, this place is paradise!

Room Tip: The first cottage - something "palm" I can't remember its name, is furthest from the b...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank DcMbb
Lipari
Reviewed 28 February 2012

We stayed at FC for the second time in February this year. The hotel could not be placed in a better spot - 5 minutes walk from the ferry jetty and stores, right on a beautiful beach. The comunal area is lovely, with a patio, books, hammocks, TV and umbrellas looking right over to Tortola. The chickens that run around the place are part of the island character, and did not annoy us at all. The bird life is also great. The rooms are something else. They are in need of a lot of maintenance. The screw handles for the shutters are either snapped off or don't turn. The taps are all rusted, and the basin does not have a plug. The toilet flushing system did not work, so we had to flush the toilet by putting our hand into the cistern and pulling on a bit of wire. The door to our room was opened and closed by kicking really hard. We were given the wrong remote control for the TV, but was eventually changed and reprogrammed. We arrived at the hotel in the morning to be told that the room would be ready after 2pm, so we went off to the beach and came back just before the office closed at 6pm. We were given the key to our room and finding the door wide open, we just went in and closed it behind us. On our reentry at about 11,30pm we were horrified to find that our key would not open the door. We tried for about 20 minutes, thinking that it was one of those keys that you have to jiggle around before its works. The reception area did not have any phone number where we could contact somebody for help, and anyway I had left my phone inside when we went out. The door next to our room was also wide open, but it seemed to be abandoned with minimal furnishings etc,with no sheets or anything, and dust everywhere. My husband had the idea to see if our key opened any other rooms. I was not happy thinking about the people in the room we opened. It turned out that it did open another room, and it was empty thank goodness. The bed was made up, there was 1 towel but not much else. We eventually got to bed at about 2am. In the morning, when I went to the reception to complain, the staff explained that the lock on the door had been changed, but the new key was not put onto the key ring. I told the lady at the desk that I did not think it fair that I should pay for that night. We found a bottle of wine and a "sorry" note the next day in our room. On check out I complained again and asked for our money back, and after a few calls and discussions we did eventually get it refunded. If only they would do some renovation work, it could be one of the nicest hotels on the island. We did not try the restaurant, so I cannot say what the food was like there.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
4.3 km away
Mango Bay Resort
Mango Bay Resort
#2 of 7 in Virgin Gorda

Been to Fischer's Cove Beach Hotel? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK