Maria's by the Sea
US$ 286
TripAdvisor
  • Beachfront
  • Pool
Fort Burt Hotel(Road Town)
  • Pool
All reviewsferry dockwithin walking distancecity viewclean roomsnice hotelbusiness tripless than a minute walkconvenient locationthird floortaxi standcoffee machineocean view roomnice balconyhotel restaurantservice was slowsuperior roomroom was large
Reviewed 4 February 2012

My husband and I always stay at Maria's when we're in Roadtown. It's a beautiful, simple hotel and we really appreciate the fact that it has a very local feel to it. And we love the food which is also very much according to local tastes and not pretentious. the rooms are very clean and we always make sure to get one with a balcony. The dining area is absolutely gorgeous and the staff is wonderful. Prices are very reasonable. I highly recommend this hotel. It's close to the ferry dock and also to a local outdoor market so there is a lot to do if you need to pass some time.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Adeliamisskitty
Reviewed 26 January 2012

Marias is a short walk from the ferry dock and the main shopping street, saving you $$ on cabs. Clean, spacious, comfortable rooms all overlook the Sea. The food is very good, served in an outdoor dining room, a wonderful way to have breakfast in the mornings! Locals sit and play checkers in the lobby. Grab at drink at the bar and sit and watch awhile. Everyone is very friendly and they will help answer all your questions about where to shop, eat, getting a taxi etc ...
This is a really great place to stay the night before or after a sailing charter.
I only have 1 concern and that is the showers - the water will go from ice cold to scalding hot without warning, which is a bit scary.
They are buliding a large addition right next door - so more rooms will be available soon. I highly recomend this hotel.

Room Tip: Rooms with 2 double beds are quite a bit larger than the single bed rooms. So even if you don't need both beds you will get a significant amount more space. Worth the upgrade.
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank JSB621
Reviewed 30 December 2011

Maria and her staff always go the extra mile to make you feel at home and comfortable. It is very close to the Roadtown BVI ferry dock and a short walk to the main marina and the downtown. Coffee is there for your pleasure in the morning, and the rooms a very clean. I stay there annually for a boatshow of charter yachts at the Marina.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank sailorlady
Reviewed 7 December 2011

Maria’s by the Sea
If you are headed to Tortola in the British VI and shopping for a hotel I highly recommend Maria’s By the Sea. It is not a typical tourist hotel but rather a hotel in the heart of Road Town just a short walk from the Ferry Dock and the Marina. When I am there I am tending to business and it is just right for me.
Maria’s is currently adding a new wing but I promise you the noise of construction is no issue since you will not be spending your days at the hotel. The construction will be finished in the Summer of 2012 and the plan is to then start on improving the older section of the hotel.
So you well might ask yourself “ Why recommend this hotel?” Good question.
Most obviously because the rooms are nice with balconies, the service is excellent, the prices are good and the employees are the critical factor. Probably because the hotel is owned by a woman most of the employees are women and they are doing a first rate job. I asked why all women and the answer was something like ‘perhaps men don’t like taking orders from a woman’. I wouldn’t swallow that whole but there might therein be some truth.
This is a hotel that embraces the community. One year I was walking back to the hotel when the heavens opened up about two blocks from Marias. A car stopped, the driver got out and asked me where I was headed, handed me an umbrella and told me to just leave it outside the front door of Maria’s and she would fetch it. Then she just drove off and I cried my thanks. I did as I was told and the umbrella was picked up later that morning.
Every week a group of men gather to play chess in the lobby, totally absorbed by the game. The Rotary Sunshine Club meets every Tuesday morning. Families hold parties in the dining room and the hotel arranges for children to from the island to come use the pool and take swimming lessons from a teacher.
Maria’s is located on the water and they have a pool and a wading pool. I always use the pool and get to talk with guests whether I know them or not. There is no beach for it is a town location.
Maria’s pool is next to the dining room and bar. We have enjoyed light meals and drinks in our bathing suits but you have to ask first. And what about the food? The management assures me that the chef is a talented award winning cook. I have never been impressed but when I am hungry the food tastes very good and many the time I have returned to Maria’s tired and hungry, ready to call it a day and grateful for a hot meal. I have been told they want to keep a balance between local cooking and more international cooking. I just hope they keep the level of quality as high as possible.
The bar is too noisy, there are parts of the older section that need redoing, so it is not luxury. The best part of Maria’s walks around on two legs and makes you feel right at home. I like that a lot.

Room Tip: ask for a good view
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank verna61
Reviewed 3 December 2011

BVI is more limited than other islands with its selection of business hotels. If you want to go sailing, that's a different story. Maria's is within walking distance to most offices in town, it is right on the water and offers wi-fi in the rooms and lobby (although intermittent service). The hotel lobby and restaurant area are not great, hot and tired. The rooms themselves are large and clean, but very basic finishes. The tile floors without any rugs etc. make the rooms feel very cold, however the views make up for it. Treasure Isle is the other option you can consider for business, the rooms are four star, lovely but the internet is cable only, no wireless and you are on the road, you do have views but you can hear the noise from the road in your rooms. I prefer treasure isle personally, but others will choose Maria's for the convenience. Restaurants at both hotels are about equal, along with service- neither one will blow you away. Treasure Isle is opposite the Moorings Marina which has a great fine dining restaurant Charlie's you can easily walk to. My recommendation to the management at Maria's is to please install some A/C in the lobby area, I was there in September and it was very uncomfortable.

Room Tip: There are rooms that are newer than others. I was told to ask for a newer room.
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled on business