New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Review of Fort Burt Hotel

Fort Burt Hotel
Ranked #7 of 13 Hotels in Road Town
Durban, South Africa
“Met all our requirements and more!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 July 2012

We were recently bareboat chartering a yacht from TMM and needed a Road Town hotel the night before, in order to do our provisioning and get set up for our holiday.
We chose The Fort Burt due to it's location, literally across the road from TMM Marina.
The hotel more than exceeded our expectations.
Our airconditioned room had great views with a balcony and was more than adequately sized for our family of 4. Although the room was a bit dated, for the price, we thought it was great value.
The hotel staff were very friendly and attentive, assisting to store our bags for a late check out.
We thoroughly enjoyed the restaurant breakfast with the views of the bay around us, before a short walk into town to get our sailing provisions.

I would definitely recommend this hotel, it definitely exceeded our expectations.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 June 2012

I only stayed here one night but the staff, especially the night desk guy Duane, were so friendly and helpful I had to write a review. My partner needed a computer/printer for an urgent travel arrangement situation and was accommodated no problem, and when a lightbulb went out in our room it was fixed by the time we got back from dinner. I really like the room, it's simple but has everything I'd want - air conditioning, balcony with a nice view, big bed, TV etc. The only note I can think of is the lever to switch to the shower probably needs work but it did work for us OK anyway. I just wish we'd stayed longer so we could have tried the onsite restaurant, which also had a pretty awesome view over the harbour as the sun set, and the pool, which likewise overlooks the harbour pretty unbeatably, and even hung around in the lobby/bar, which was very comfortable and quite a cool space.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
Steamboat Springs, Colorado
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 May 2012

Eddie and his team are doing a great job. Staff goes out of their way to help you (Roosevelt rocks), food for breakfast was delicious and location to our charter boat couldn't have been better. Rooms have air conditioning and balconies and everything was neat and clean. Have stayed in many hotels in Tortola but we will come back to this one because of the staff. Job well done!

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank Karen S
Swansboro
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 May 2012

I have been to Tortola several times and stayed on the beach. This time I wanted to be close to ferry dock so I could day trip to Anegada. I chose the Fort Burt for location, but am pleasantly surprised by the place. Magnificent views, nice rooms; deluxe one has vaulted ceilings, nice comfy bed, very clean. The best part is the staff. So friendly and accommodating. The breakfast cook walked with me downtown today to make sure I found the Botanical Park (a must see in my opinion). The Internet works in my room, cable tv a bit fuzzy sometimes, but with the views, tv is optional. The reception area and restaurant are lovely. Yes, there are stairs but I love the climb. The grandson of the owner that checked me in said he would gladly have someone carry the bags, just ask...I truly love the place and would stay here again.

Room Tip: Go deluxe if you like vaulted ceiling.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled solo
4 Thank djbdds
Detroit, Michigan
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 March 2012

After ten days on a Bareboat charter, we were welcomed at the Fort Burt Hotel, just up the hill from our charter company, Conch Charters (also a great company to deal with). The place is a bit old and weathered, built on the original foundation of a fort built by the Dutch in 1655. There are many stairs to climb, but the reward is a beautiful view of the harbor and the string of islands in the Sir Fracis Drake Channel. The staff was very warm and inviting and eager to ensure our comfort and enjoyment. Did I mention the sailboat cruise? Sitting on the balcony enjoying a rum punch after a real shower was a pleasure in itself! There are two pools, an excellent restaurant and comfortable, clean accommodations. All rooms have balconies, and as an extra bonus a rooster to get you up in time to catch the ferry back to St Thomas. We look forward to visiting again next year!

• Stayed March 2012
5.6 km away
The Heritage Inn
The Heritage Inn
#14 of 25 in Tortola

Been to Fort Burt Hotel? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK