“Want to go Back”
Review of Hotel L'Esplanade

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Grand Case
Hotel L'Esplanade
Ranked #2 of 8 Hotels in Grand Case
Whitman, Massachusetts
“Want to go Back”
Reviewed 2 March 2012

My wife and I went here on our honeymoon back in 1999. If you want to be catered too hand and foot your going to the wrong place. This is a beautiful place for do it yourselfers to explore, relax and enjoy the local surroundings. We didnt need the staff to cater to our every whim but when we had any questions about anything they were very helpful. Some people are just too damned spoiled and cant do anything for themselves. If your not afraid of a little adventure this place is awesome. The rooms are impeccably clean, the air conditioning super cold when needed, the local food incredible, and the casinos on the opposite side of the island are great fun and better left on that side. I would love to go back again someday and if I do I will stay at this hotel. That is all!!

Room Tip: A room with a loft is your best bet but all have good views.
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (148)
Ringwood, New Jersey
Reviewed 2 March 2012

My husband and I stayed at Hotel L'Esplanade for 4 nights at the end of February. Our first impression was good as the hotel grounds are very well maintained and the woman who checked us in was very nice. Our room wasn't ready so we went to the pool bar, had a lovely lunch and when we got to our deluxe studio, our bags were already upstairs and we were given a nice tour of the room. The view was beautiful!
The pool is small with very few sunny spots and those were often "saved" by other guests. It was a little frustrating to see empty chairs "saved" all day. However, as someone who only visits the pool early in the morning, it wasn't a terribly big deal for me. I could see it being more of an issue for someone who likes to sit by the pool in the sun for extended periods.
The hotel's location is very convenient to Grand Case Boulevard and Orient Beach. The drive to Orient was less than 10 minutes and the walk to the center of Grand Case was about 5 minutes. While the hotels doesn't offer many amenities, it was nice to be walking distance to all the great restaurants. I wished there were more breakfast options as Sunset Cafe at Grand Case Beach Club was fair at best for breakfast.
Overall, I found the hotel lovely if limited in what they offered. But the rooms were clean, the staff was friendly and is was by far the nicest hotel in town. Sleep quality was only ok. The bed was a bit bumpy and the walls thin. I woke up each night from noise from the room next door. The little aiport nearby was no issue at all. I am glad I chose it but I am not sure if it's worth a return visit. Anguilla next time...

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank WhoWantsToGo
NYC
Reviewed 24 February 2012

My partner and I just completed our stay at L'Esplanade. Everything about the hotel is perfect - like so much of Grand Case, it's beautiful and chic yet also effortlessly casual and understated. If you want a scene or want to be seen, go to St. Barts, but we wanted a place to collapse, disappear... go to the beach (Le Petit Plage - right beside the nearby Grand Case Beach Club - is beautiful and peaceful, and the restaurant at the Beach Club has delicious food for both breakfast and lunch, overlooking the ocean. We did this every morning, it's just a stroll from the hotel) And then... you get to have great meals every night at one of the many great restaurants, also just minutes from the hotel. Our favorite was Bistro Caraibes on our last night - get the lobster and the hot chocolate cake. The staff of L'Esplanade was extremely helpful in every way, and our room - an oversized loft - was handsome and large, with two balconies pointing directly to the sea and a very comfortable bed. We wanted a perfect albeit short winter getaway from the craziness of NYC, and we were tremendously lucky to find L'Esplanade and the pleasures of Grand Case. I wouldn't have changed a thing. We'll be back, that's for sure. Worth the splurge.

Room Tip: Loved our oversized loft, but we saw other rooms and they are all great and recently renovated
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
Hingham, Massachusetts, United States
Reviewed 24 February 2012

My husband and I went to St Maarten with some great friends in the January 2012. The foyer to the hotel was open so you could see the ocean and its beautiful surroundings. Rooms where immacaulate and the stafff was more then accomidating. Very friendly atmosphere. The bar tender Alain was out of this world. Makes the best pina colados. Always freindly! Never a dull moment. Kristin and Mark are awesome people. Friendly and again accomidating. The path down to the down town area was lined with beautiful flowers. restauarants were awesome. i recommend Il Nundo and LaVille. cant wait to go back!

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Debra B
Toronto
Reviewed 23 February 2012

My daughter and I recently spent a week in a deluxe loft at the Hotel l'Esplanade. For us, it was the right choice. The hotel is perched on a gently sloping hill and enjoys a beautiful view of the sea and sky. Our room had a spacious terrace on the main level and another smaller one off the upstairs bedroom. Everything in the room was designed for beauty and comfort and utility. The bed was very, very comfortable as were the chairs on the terrace. The main floor kitchen and powder room are extremely handy. Others have extolled the virtues of the lovely pool area -- I particularly appreciated the absence of loud music and the presence of comfy lounges and songbirds.

The service level in this hotel is excellent. They can't do enough for you. When we ordered continental breakfast to be delivered to our room in the morning, it arrived with a smile on the dot and the coffee was hot! Suggestions for activities and restaurant reservations were handled without a hitch and we always seemed to get one of the best tablse in each spot reserved for us.

The hotel is within an easy stroll to the village of Grand Case and its famous dining establishments. My daughter's favourite restaurant was Le Cottage; mine was, well, ALL of them to tell you the truth. The French influence was ever-present in the cuisine and service and the wines too were well-chosen and well-priced. Personally, I found Grand Case to be charming and authentic and much more attractive than the built-up, over-developed areas elsewhere on the island as seen from the windows of our taxi to and from the airport.

Although we did take the ferry to St. Barth's for a day trip, I would have been quite happy staying at or near the hotel and just relaxing by the pool or on our terrace for the full week. We also enjoyed our afternoon at the Grand Case Beach Club's Petit Plage where, for a modest fee, we rented beach chairs and umbrellas. The little beach resto serves delicious lunches at waterside table for those who have the energy to budge from their chairs. Otherwise, cold beer and other pleasures will be served to you on the sand.

Another thing I enjoyed about Grand Case was its mix of demographics -- no one age group or nationality appeared to dominate the place. As a destination, it should be a top choice for peaceful self-indulgent relaxation if that is what you like to do on your week off.

Room Tip: Deluxe loft rooms have the best views and the extra space is worth the added cost.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
Belmond La Samanna
#1 of 1 in Terres Basses
10.5 km away
Sonesta Ocean Point Resort

Been to Hotel L'Esplanade? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK