“The good, the bad, the ugly”

Simpson Bay Resort & Marina
Ranked #2 of 7 Hotels in Simpson Bay
Reviewed 1 January 2013

We did a time-share exchange, but after reading many negative reviews of the building we would have been in, we decided to upgrade. We were charged an enormous amount to do this but since we already had bought our airline tickets we went ahead with it. Unfortunately, the people you deal with about any matters concerning the property are located in Mexico! They were only minimally familiar with the hotel so even though we asked for an ocean view, we only got an ocean "peak". We tried to change to a better room when we got there, but apparently there was nothing available.
So the bad was having to pay so much extra money just to get a decent unit and then not even getting the view we had hoped for.
The good was that the resort itself is on the bay, has many lovely pools, beautiful views, and restaurants right on the property. The walk into town is pretty short, and there are many good restaurants all around (Crave, Lee's, Oceanfront). Also there is a wonderful gelato place within walking distance (Carousel).
The ugly is that many of the people who work there are just plain rude. Whenever we wanted to use a tennis court, we would have to go to the security office, and they always acted as if that was the last place they wanted to be. Also, some of the tennis courts are in awful condition. Lastly, it's very near the airport, and the noise of the planes taking off so frequently disturbed the relaxing atmosphere.
Having said that, most of the staff was very friendly - especially the housekeepers - and we did end up having a great vacation.
We would go back to St. Maarten, but probably not back to Simpson Bay.

Room Tip: I think rooms in the Villas are probably the best - and most expensive. If we went back we would sta...
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank carolgened
Camilo O, Community Manager at Simpson Bay Resort & Marina, responded to this reviewResponded 7 March 2013

Dear Guest:

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us. Your comments are very important and help us serve you better.

Thank you for the kind words about our property, I'm glad to read that you enjoyed your stay. Having said that, I'm sorry to read about the issues you mention having experienced with some of our staff; I tried contacting you to request more info about this and follow up with the appropriate staff members but unfortunately I never heard back from you. Nevertheless, we will take your comments as an opportunity to review our service and we would be happy to welcome you back in the future to show you how we've improved as a result of your observations.

Warm regards from sunny St Maarten,

Camilo Olea
Community Manager
Simpson Bay Resort & Marina

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.

Reviewed 20 December 2012

It is a large property, and has many pools. Easy access to the beach, as well as a dock and ladder straight to the ocean. The bartendar was friendly and they run a happy hour so the drinks arent too pricey. The hotel for a noninclusive is a bit steep, but I really enjoyed staying here. It is a great location to the airport, and several eateries. It has a full kitchen, a grocery, casino, playground, and shuttle to and from your villa. The only down fall is they couldnt find our reservation. We went to swim while we waited 2 hours later they had forgotten about us and still had to find the reservation.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank bamagirl0269
Reviewed 30 November 2012

As three "older " ladies, this place is great. If you have problems walking up hill, I suggest that you request a unit at the bottom part of the resort.If you do not get a unit near the bottom, they have complimentary shuttle vans that will take you to & from your unit. We had a studio unit with a full kitchen, a king size bed and a pull out sofa bed in the living room. At the time we stayed, the resort was quiet even though there was construction going on right across from our unit.. The unit was very clean & well equipped. There are many nice restraurants nearby. We took cabs, rode the bus and rented a car. It is not necessary to rent a car, as you can get to the French side of the island by bus. As for renting a car, the drivers there are aggresive, but not rude, no stop lights, they have a lot of roundabouts. The food over the island is fabulous. The shopping is good, but not fabulous. They are supposed to have good deals on electronics and jewelry, but I didn't find that to be true, you can get the same or better deals at home. All of the staff at the resort are very nice, kind and accomadating. The piano bar, near the convenience store was lots of fun. This resort is great for people of all ages. I would go back in a heartbeat. This resort is a great place to stay!!!

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank TexasJbug
Reviewed 20 November 2012

I generally try to be gracious on a visit to a new place, but this resort left me wanting more over and over.

The best thing about this place are the folks who work in the service areas. The staff that you encounter out and about the place taking care of it are by far the nicest and most kind you will meet in the facility. This actually extends to the front desk staff as well, however be prepared to WAIT if you want any help from the front desk. There is always a line, and the desk always seems very understaffed in my opinion. Despite this fact, the staff will wait on you as quickly and efficiently as possible and with as much of a smile as they can muster. Even if they are telling you to go all the way back to the very far edge of the grounds (uphill and about 1/4 mile away) to get your incorrectly filled out towel card so that they can correctly make you a new one. They'll even smile if it's about 90 degrees out while they're telling you to do this and you're already sweating and obviously uncomfortable!

Value: Nope, sorry. I think you can do much smarter things with your money than stay here unless you are guaranteed a spot right down front or at least near the front desk-this place is pretty enormous. In fact, so large that the concierge either leads your vehicle with his or takes you in his with your luggage to your building from the front desk if you are not staying in one of the fancy 'condos'. Feel second class much? I did.

Cleanliness-outside my unit was lovely. I never once had the staff even come in and sweep the floor in the 4 nights I was there. No emptying of the garbage, no changing of the towels. Maybe this is not the type of thing that they typically do here, but it would have been pleasant to have been informed of this either prior to my booking the room or at least upon check in (with that great smile...).

Rooms: Fair. Nothing amazing. I had an absolutely lovely view of a parking lot and the laundry facilities. Thank goodness the service staff were so preferable to many of the guests for company, because I got to see lots of them!

Room Service: I didn't request room service and I gave up on thinking I might come home to a freshly made bed.

Spa: Wouldn't spend another dime here, so I can't honestly tell you about the spa.

There is a fitness room that looks like it might have been really wonderful but you get to pay extra for that. I'm surprised they didn't charge me to park my car in my little parking lot next to the laundry facility!

Room Tip: If you DO stay near here, I would suggest the Pelican. And while in the area, no matter where you s...
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled solo
7  Thank Anita L
Reviewed 21 October 2012

Our party of four stayed at the Villas for the first week in October, 2012. Everything was just perfect. The two bedroom suite on the fourth floor was the best time share accomodations we've ever had, from the good pool, great beach, furniture, bed, kitchen and air conditioning to the very nice staff, including our "personal bartender "Metal" at the pool bar. The restaurants in and around the resort were all very nice with good prices. We were very thankful be were able to switch accomodations at the last minute with our original choice, Oyster Bay Resort, after we visited it and found that it was not near as nice as Simpson Bay Resort. Also, October was a good time to visit since it was off-season and nothing was crowded, especially the roads.

Room Tip: Anything in the newer Villas.
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled with friends
3.9 km away
Divi Little Bay Beach Resort
3.1 km away
Sonesta Maho Beach Resort, Casino & Spa

Been to Simpson Bay Resort & Marina? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK