We did a time-share exchange, but after reading many negative reviews of the building we would have been in, we decided to upgrade. We were charged an enormous amount to do this but since we already had bought our airline tickets we went ahead with it. Unfortunately, the people you deal with about any matters concerning the property are located in Mexico! They were only minimally familiar with the hotel so even though we asked for an ocean view, we only got an ocean "peak". We tried to change to a better room when we got there, but apparently there was nothing available.
So the bad was having to pay so much extra money just to get a decent unit and then not even getting the view we had hoped for.
The good was that the resort itself is on the bay, has many lovely pools, beautiful views, and restaurants right on the property. The walk into town is pretty short, and there are many good restaurants all around (Crave, Lee's, Oceanfront). Also there is a wonderful gelato place within walking distance (Carousel).
The ugly is that many of the people who work there are just plain rude. Whenever we wanted to use a tennis court, we would have to go to the security office, and they always acted as if that was the last place they wanted to be. Also, some of the tennis courts are in awful condition. Lastly, it's very near the airport, and the noise of the planes taking off so frequently disturbed the relaxing atmosphere.
Having said that, most of the staff was very friendly - especially the housekeepers - and we did end up having a great vacation.
We would go back to St. Maarten, but probably not back to Simpson Bay.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Nestled on a hillside overlooking Simpson Bay, one of the most popular spots on St. Maarten, Simpson Bay Resort & Marina is a peaceful Mediterranean-style holiday village offering comfortable suites and all the services guests could possibly need during their Caribbean vacation. With a sheltered private beach, five pools and colorful gardens full of bougainvillea, hibiscus and Allamanda, Simpson Bay Beach Resort & Marina is a captivating island hideaway where you can enjoy the best family vacation ever. A varied activity program, tennis courts, a spa, water sports, dining and evening entertainment make it a favorite with visitors of all ages. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com and HotelQuickly so you can book your Simpson Bay Resort & Marina reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Simpson Bay Resort And Marina
- Simpson Bay Resort & Marina Hotel Simpson Bay