April 15, 2012
Our family of four just returned LAST NIGHT from St. Maarten and had an amazing time.
Tips on Simpson Bay Resort and Marina - Pay for the upgrade to the Villas (believe we paid around $450/wk above our RCI time share exchange rate) and it was well worth it. Had a 2 bedroom on the 5th floor with a view of the bay/marina. It is supposedly a few years old with all granite in the kitchens/baths, large bathrooms/kitchens, large balconies overlooking the bay (2 separate balconies) and huge rooms/comfy beds.
Car: Highly recommend you get a car. Some people say you don't need it but it was awesome as you can explore the entire island and EVERY beach on the island is like a new vacation. (some surrounded by green mountains, some surrounded by cliffs, some were long stretches of beach with tons of activity/people and others were just smaller coves...just stunning).
Loved Mullet Bay (beautiful and a cliff on one end where you can hike and take panoramic pictures). Heard the locals love it here. (heard from our bartender at Simpson Bay)
Loved Dawn Beach (crystal clear water and great for snorkeling); the Westin is located on Dawn beach.
Loved Cupecoy Beach. Tucked away and surrounded by huge cliffs and caves. Just cool to see and explore.
Enjoyed Friar's Beach (snorkeling), Baie Rouge, and Orient Beach (partial nudity).
Enjoyed Mojo Beach for the experience of the jets flying above.
Enjoyed day at Pinel Island ($7/pp ferry ride) and 2 restaurants on island; other half is uninhabited.
Enjoyed Anquilla snorkeling trip via catamaran via Aqua Mania.
Restaurants: Favorites were Pineapple Petes (crab stuffed grouper, fish and chips), Skipjacks (everything!) and French Bakery in Simpson Bay near Fed Ex (La Succiere or something like that). Also enjoyed Greenhouse and Cafe on the Bay for $5/appetizers and $3 martinis during happy hour such as shrimp tempura, calamari, etc. Loved the Carousel ice cream/gelato place in Simpson Bay...also enjoyed Rosie's Shack on Mullet Bay where you could get a plate of chicken, rice with red beans and fried plaintains for $7. Food was awesome. Look for happy hour deals or early bird specials to help with the costs. We had a full kitchen so ate breakfast in or just ventured out for late lunch/early dinner depending on where we were for the day (there's a grocery store right by Burger King..)
Excursions: 1) 2.5 hr sunset cruise on a 65' catamaran for $15/pp via Aqua Mania on Mon night including your Rum punch (great way to see the different beaches from the water and just relaxing), 2) Snorkeling trip to Anguilla (actually snorkled at Prickly Pear) and had lunch in Anguilla (9-5pm) - fun trip & boat ride and 3) Pinel Island (you can go for an hour or a day as there is a ferry that leaves every 30 min. ($7/pp round trip). My husband loved it...I personally would love to see all the beaches versus just spend a day in one place.
Other Tips at Simpson Bay: Take advantage of free kayaks (something fun to do with the kids); Also bought fishing poles so the kids could enjoy or even fish from the kayaks. Bring a cooler if you can so you can pack food/drinks and take with you if you decide to explore the beaches for the day.
Had a great time. Will go back in a few years!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Nestled on a hillside overlooking Simpson Bay, one of the most popular spots on St. Maarten, Simpson Bay Resort & Marina is a peaceful Mediterranean-style holiday village offering comfortable suites and all the services guests could possibly need during their Caribbean vacation. With a sheltered private beach, five pools and colorful gardens full of bougainvillea, hibiscus and Allamanda, Simpson Bay Beach Resort & Marina is a captivating island hideaway where you can enjoy the best family vacation ever. A varied activity program, tennis courts, a spa, water sports, dining and evening entertainment make it a favorite with visitors of all ages. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com and HotelQuickly so you can book your Simpson Bay Resort & Marina reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Simpson Bay Resort And Marina
- Simpson Bay Resort & Marina Hotel Simpson Bay