“Best we could get was pretty good”

Sea View Beach Hotel
Ranked #9 of 12 Hotels in Philipsburg
Ontario, Canada
“Best we could get was pretty good”
Reviewed 18 March 2012

My wife and I decided to stay a couple of days before and a day after a cruise out of St Maarten. We didn't realize that it was the week of the Heineken Sailing Regatta, so it was really hard to find a hotel. I must admit that we only booked into the Sea View because it was all we could find for a couple of days at a time that was not a preposterous price. The busy time also forced us to fly from Toronto via Atlanta as the only remaining direct flights were $500 more. As appears to be somewhat the norm, our luggage stayed in Atlanta. The people in the hotel were helpful and welcoming and, after negotiating a shabby corridor we were shown to a clean, comfortable and well air-conditioned beachfront room. The Friday night was party night in Phillipsburg for the Regatta and we watched and listened to the excitement from "our" balcony, which was actually the end of the balcony that accessed the second floor rooms, but had a table and chairs. Meanwhile, the very kind lady on the front desk spent a lot of time and effort tracing our luggage which had come in on the next day's Delta flight and been given to a taxi driver who did not deliver it for about 4 hours - I guess until one of his fares took him past our hotel.
They are in the process of refurbishing this hotel. The vanity and sink in our room had been changed in the week we were away and they were preparing to repave the courtyard. We didn't stay there by design, but we'd book in there if we were going back to St Maarten and wanted to stay in Phillipsburg rather than in one of the many luxurious and fairly expensive resorts.

Room Tip: The beachfront rooms are lovely but more expensive. Don't be afraid of street side rooms as the...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Peterborough_People
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
Pennsylvania
Reviewed 5 March 2012

Seaview hotel is right on the beach, the Boardwak, Front Street. Staff is friendly and very helpful. View is superb. You are one block from catching a bus to anywhere on the island for far less than a taxi cost. In the daytime, you are int he middle of everything. However, Philipsburg mainly serves cruise ships and much of the town essentially closes down for the evening (after 6 pm) when the cruise passengers have to return to the ship.

Room Tip: Beach view are beautiful but more expensive. This is not an all inclusive resort.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank DelphineTS
Los Altos
Reviewed 19 February 2012

I had two separate stays here of one night each. The first night I arrived and they did not have my reservation paid for through Expedia. I had brought a hard copy of the reservation with me so they gave me the room I supposedly had reserved. Hard to say where the communication broke down on that. The room itself was very basic, but that's fine. There was no hot water in the bathroom - the knob on the shower for hot just spun - completely none functional. There was a huge roach (about a 3 inch body) in the hallway, but this is the tropics and there were no bugs in the room itself. About 4am there was a prolonged disturbance in the hallway of about 15 minutes of someone banging to be let into a room. Seemed like the hotel staff should have put a stop to it. On a good note, they successfully had a taxi there at the agreed time to take me to the airport. I was not looking forward to returning to this place two days later.

My return visit was quite different. Still had to show my hardcopy of the reservation for my stay, but they made a mistake and put me in one of their best rooms. It looked right out over the boardwalk and the next morning I watched as three cruise ships pulled in to port. No bugs in sight this time, hot water in the shower, everything worked in the room. It had a table and chairs by the door overlooking the boardwalk so it would be nice to sit outside. Basic room and a little run down, but quite pleasant.

The McDonalds across the street has free wi-fi.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank TCCMember
Palo Alto
Reviewed 29 November 2011

The Seaview Hotel is located right downtown Philipsburg on Front Street. Very convenient if you like shopping, but if taking a swim early morning is your thing, you could not ask for a better place. The hotel is right at the Boardwalk and another ten meters you are in the water. The hotel has a balcony/walkway with chairs and tables. Great for sitting and watching the pedestrians and having a glass of your favorite or as we do: share a baguette and cheese and you have your evening meal with a fabulous view. The hotel itself is not the Hilton nor the Ritz. Think of Motel 6 or Super 8. Room 60 was clean with a comfortable double bed and an extra single bed. Writing desk and a refrigerator. Bathroom had a nice shower but very simple. Other rooms that I looked at on the same floor, rooms #62, #63, #64 looked equally clean. The staff was very helpful and very friendly. One drawback, if you need to have access to your computer (internet) you must go to the lobby, but internet service is free and the lobby is nicely furnished and comfortable. We did not try breakfast at the hotel, but it is available. I am a coffee drinker and found a very nice place off Front Street next to the Court House, which is about 4 minutes walk from the hotel. When you get down the stairs go to the right. This place is called Kangaroo Court. Great expressos! And the staff is great here as well. If you have rented a car to get around, here is what you need to do concerning parking. There is no parking at the hotel and the clerk was not sure what to do with my car when I arrived. I wanted to check if the hotel had some arrangement with a parking lot. They don't! However I have been to Philipsburg before and knew my way around. Here is what you do if you are staying at the Seaview and have a car: at night you park in the government lot, located two blocks from Front Street (facing the court house walk away from the waterfront 2 blocks passing the Kangaroo Court cafe and the outdoor market and there it is. It is $1.00 US dollar to park from 7 pm to 7 am. From 7 am to 7 pm parking is $1.00 US per hour. BUT at the Salt Pond there is free parking, walk another block in the same direction. What I did was upon my return to the hotel I would park in the free lot, then transfer the car to the pay lot at 7pm ( I felt it was safer ) and the next day I would pick the car up for the day at, say 9 am and that cost me only $3 US dollars, a great bargain and I knew the car was safe. I enjoyed my stay at the Seaview. There are other hotels along the Boardwalk but quite a bit more expensive and as I am not in the room except for sleeping the Seaview Hotel is a Great deal.

Room Tip: Ask for room 60 or 59, they are not considered "sea View" rooms but they have a beautiful...
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled on business
3 Thank friendlytrips
Florida
Reviewed 12 February 2011

Stayed in high season for just under $100 inc tax. Lobby and rooms are sparse but clean with excellent housekeeping. What separates this hotel, besides location and value, is the staff. Manager Conroy and Melodine at receptiion were consistently pleasant and helpful.

Others have given in depth reviews. Suffice to say I have cancelled a free night at a luxury out of town hotel to stay at the Seaview again in a week.

Stayed February 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank FLTravel_8
Also consider these accommodations in or near Philipsburg
0.5 km away
6.3 km away
Mary's Boon Beach Resort and Spa
5.0 km away
Simpson Bay Resort & Marina

Been to Sea View Beach Hotel? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK