“Great time great value”

Ranked #3 of 12 Hotels in Philipsburg
Toronto, Canada
“Great time great value”
Reviewed 23 April 2012

I read some of the reviews before my trip and was a bit apprehensive. You must take these review with a grain of salt. I would not say I am overly picky but I am fair and honest. My travel agent set proper expectations. Hotel rooms were very clean but extremely moderate and in need of a refurb. The shower enclosures are a bit complexing, as I read in other reviews but the hotel has nightly turn down service where they clean your bathroom after everyone has showered and replace the towels so it really did not bother me much. Kids club was great, my son had a blast and the staff was amazing. Cheers to Kevin at the activities desk who really showed my son a great time. The food was great and I loved the evening movies by the pool with popcorn for the kids. The buffet did not offer a whole lot of choice like other all inclusives that I have been to but what was there was great. Really enjoyed the BBQ night dinner complete with staek and ribs and corn on the cob.The beach was the best part of the hotel. Toured the island and it was my favorite of all the beaches. The water was very calm and was a pleasure to swim in. The propert needs a refurb but is clean and cared for. The staff was amazing and I would like to thank them for a wonderful vacation. I would recommend taking a boat ride to St Barts which was one of the highlights of the trip. Do not book the expensive tour just take a ferry and walk to shell beach which is a 10 minute walk from where the feery docks. Cost $70 return and is for a full day departing daily at 9 returning around 7:30.A must do! The hotel location is awesome with a 10 minute walk along the beach right into the down town. St Martin was safe and I loved it! Overall the island is amazing and I definately will return back to the great bay resort.

Room Tip: Make sure you opt for a higher floor as there are basement type rooms.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
6 Thank heidiadler
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,586)
  • Hungarian first
Port Perry
Reviewed 23 April 2012

Thiswas my third time to St. Maarten, and second time here. I have visited many islands but this one is my favorite. The staff are amazing, polite and helpful. As for the people who need to complain, they have to be very unhappy people in general.
Will be returning again and again and again!!!! Hope you keep Nigel there as he and Jose are two awesome guys!
Cheers
LForsyth

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
3 Thank Liana F
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 23 April 2012

I recently stayed at this property and if you love inhaling second hand smoke everywhere then by all means go there. They advertise that smoking is only permitted in certain areas but there is no policing of the rules. I had breakfast lunch and dinner, sitting on the deck, walking on the beach (which was a disgrace because dogs are allowed to run freely anywhere they want and do their business everywhere-no it's not cleaned up), enjoying the aroma of second hand smoke from other tourists who just didn't have any respect whatsoever. I am asthmatic and was not informed that the no smoking policy wouldn't be enforced so I spent the week hacking my brains out. The mattress in the room actually had springs sticking out of it and I had to wait two days to have it replaced and only then after having to contact the hotel manager. The front desk staff are ignorant with the exception of Vicki, who was very helpful. You only get about 8 channels on tv and no room movies by pay per view. And, I have to agree with one of the other reviewers, the rooms stink! I don't know what that funky smell was but they were right to say not to put clothes in the drawers. They don't have a spa either so thats when i discovered Divi which is a much cleaner and well cared for resort with all the amenities one would expect a resort to have. Save yourself the trouble and go to Divi Little Bay, which is only a ten minute walk away.
away

Room Tip: Go to a different resort
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank Crosby2008
gmgreatbay19, General Manager at Sonesta Great Bay Beach Resort, Casino & Spa, responded to this review, 23 April 2012
We appreciate the travel opinion on your recent stay. Our no smoke policy is in place for all restaurants and guest rooms. We allow smoking in the bar areas, casino and open air spaces-pool decks. All beaches in Sint Maarten are open to the public, as this is island law. We cannot control places where any guest choose to sit, walk, smoke, etc.. including the friendly island dogs that take a stroll up & down the beach, just like we enjoy. :>)
We are sorry you felt the reflection of our resort made this experience less enjoyable, but we do have rules on smoking, but we must as well, follow the laws written in our country. We wish you well in your next vacation destination.

sincerely,
G.M
Southington
Reviewed 23 April 2012

We had such an enjoyable time at the resort that we are already planning our next trip! The views were outstanding, the hotel personnel were freindly, accomodating, helpful, and a pleasure to be around. We met so many nice people during our stay. The atmosphere is very relaxing and easy going. Choice of beach or pool, our favorite was the infinity edge pool with the bar. The activity staff was always engaging the guests in activities which was a lot of fun. We especially enjoyed the steel drum musicians and the dancers for entertainment.

Room Tip: Higher floors with an ocean view have beautiful views and sunnier.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
7 Thank Cathy I
Thank you for the travel review. We will share your opinion with our staff on a job well done. We always strive to provide the best service & experience on the "friendly island". We look forward to your next stay.
Hotel Staff @ Great Bay
Reviewed 20 April 2012

We stayed in the 1-Bd condo for a week. We loved the room and the staff. The room was clean and very well appointed, with great beds and cold quiet AC. The staff was helpful and friendly. The main resort pools were awesome. The infinity edge pool with the bar is perfect for sunsets overlooking the bay.The apartment pool was empty most of the time, it needed to be refurbished. The apartment hot tub, was just a 4 person above ground, was a little knarley. There is no snorkling from the shore. The beach is shelly, not powdery but very clean and the water was clear, blue and beautiful. There are lots of lounge chairs and umbrellas by the pool and beach. There was several nights of loud bar music, which you could not get away from.. Ok if you are into that sort of thing. They had one night of steel drum bands that was great and very romantic. There is a secure parking lot for your rental car. The grocery store is a fairly short drive. Phillipsburg is walking distance away, lots of restaruants and shops. The view was awesome, looking over the bay and the cruise ships. See if you can reserve a condo on the second floor, which have tables and lounge chairs. We got the third floor, which had a small porch with two plastic chairs and an end table. The units on the first floor that overlook the condo pool have a very small porch. Breakfast was very generic, the eggs benedict were not very good- not worth the $22 US PP. We ate in the rest of the time, in our kitchen, which was great!!.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Philipsburg
4.9 km away
7.3 km away
Sonesta Ocean Point Resort
0.8 km away
Divi Little Bay Beach Resort

Been to Sonesta Great Bay Beach Resort, Casino & Spa? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK