“HIghly recommend” 5 of 5 bubbles

GreenLeadersGold level
NY
“HIghly recommend”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 February 2012

Great destination.Unique and authentic accommodations. Private cottages in lush surroundings. Nice tour of plantation. The kids loved the pool. Many thanks to a great and helpful staff who assured we had a awesome holiday, including Omo, Indira, Katrina and Jerome. HIghly recommend.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Fonddoux, Owner at Fond Doux Plantation & Resort, responded to this review, 28 February 2012
Thank you for the great recommendation.

We are very pleased that you had an awesome and memorable experience and that your overall expectations were exceeded.

we look forward to welcoming you back soon, and appreciate your support of Fond Doux Holiday Plantation.

Best Regards,
Lyton & Eroline Lamontagne
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (222)
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 February 2012

2 weeks ago I returned from St Lucia. I’ve been to the Caribbean before: Antigua, Grenada, Barbados. I am a very demanding type, a typical middle-aged neurotic female and have a very specific number of requirements for the places I stay. These are: tranquillity, beautiful surroundings, lots of greenery, picturesque landscape, NO horrible concrete buildings (a requirement which excludes the entire Canaries region from my travels), a friendly but invisible service, total peace, no view of the neighbours (which by definition excludes ALL hotels all over the world :-)), reasonable price, good security, good local food, close proximity to the sea and above all, authenticity. This sounds like an impossible list – but Fond Doux Plantation has scored 10 out of 10 on all these requirements. Let me describe this incredible place.

For a start, the plantation is quite large – about 115 acres. It consists of the most beautiful tropical forest, and includes lots of fruit trees. Fond Doux is primarily cocoa plantation – so cocoa trees are in abundance. I arrived at about 6pm - just as it was getting dark. I always hire a car wherever I go – I like to be independent and not depend on any public transport or taxis. I rented my 4 wheel drive from a local company Drive-a-Matic – at a reasonable 60 US dollars a day. After a pleasant 40 min drive from the airport along the most picturesque road framed by the palm-trees and with glimpses of the mountains and the sea, just 10 min before reaching the main town of Soufriere I turned into the Fond Doux Plantation. When I switched the engine off, the first thing that I noticed was the most amazing chorus of crickets, frogs and some other night creatures. This is how it feels:
For me, used to the cacophony of the traffic noise of central London and police sirens, this was like a balm on the stressed and tired bunch of nerves. Standford, the friendly security guy, met me with a huge smile and showed where to park. He then directed me to the little reception house nearby. I was warmly greeted by Indira, who gave me the keys and explained about the rules re: breakfast, etc. I was then escorted by Standford to my little house located at the end of the absolutely enchanting path lit by little lights and leading through the rain forest. About 200 yards I’d say. When I walked into my cottage, it felt like coming home. It’s an ecologist’s dream – local materials (bamboo, red cedar, wicker furniture) and has the most beautiful roof construction made of thin wood planks. A lovely generous bathroom with plenty of towels. A fantastic terrace with a hummock and two comfortable wicker chairs overlooking the rain forest and distant mountains. And totally, blissfully isolated from any other dwellings. I just couldn’t believe it - I was alone in the midst of a heavenly garden! My first move was to sit on the terrace and have a bottle of the cold Carib beer from the minibar, listening to the night chorus of various forest creatures. All accumulated irritation and stress of a typical urban neurotic had vanished as if by magic. I felt absolutely and blissfully happy.

I had my supper at the plantation’s restaurant called Jardin Cacao. I am not a big eater so quite hopeless in reviewing food but I was very impressed by the menu consisting of local produce with nothing imported. I think that ingredients for most of the vegetable and fruit dishes are grown on the plantation. Which means that they are totally organic and wholesome. I love sea-food and the menu had it in abundance – all of it caught locally. The only small complaint is that the menu hasn’t changed for the whole week – but there was enough in it for me to have a different dish every day. The service at the restaurant is excellent, with waitresses attending to your every need quickly and with a smile.

Next morning I spent exploring the plantation. It is like a huge orchard, and has mango, cocoa, coconut, papaya, nutmeg, grapefruit, oranges, banana, and other fruit-bearing trees. With its wonderful tropical flower blossoms it looks just like one imagines the garden of Eden. The estate is positioned on a slope, quite high in the mountains, and so the cottages are scattered high and low, creating the most enchanting variety of views and landscapes. Each cottage is far enough from the others as to create a state of a total peace and tranquillity without feeling too isolated. There is a WiFi near the reception with a good signal and you can get a signal at the open restaurant, too. The staff are courteous and friendly – one feels like part of the family. Your stay includes a complimentary tour around the plantation – and I learned the most fascinating things about growing and producing the cocoa (used for making chocolate), and about growing fruit trees. I bet you didn’t know that a banana tree grows for 9 months, then goes into a fruition for 3 months and then when banana crop is gathered, is chopped right to the ground – whereupon it starts growing again.

The estate has a complimentary shuttle to the beautiful Jalouise beach positioned between the awesome Pitons – the two great mountains flanking the beach. I didn’t use it as I had a car but I guess the shuttle is really useful if one doesn’t. One day I was warmly greeted by the plantation’s owners Lyton and Eroline. Lyton took me around showing the cottages and I was truly impressed by their authentic quality and detailing. As an architect I really appreciate the workmanship and the cottages are constructed by local labor with the use of traditional material and techniques. It is due to the owners’ enthusiasm and hard work that the estate seems to flourish as one of the best organic farms in the Caribbean. Prince Charles visited the estate in 2008, as he is interested in organic farming and you can tell from the photographs that he was really interested by what he saw.

I am not the type who rates a resort by the quality of gym facilities, sun-lounge, swimming pool or night entertainment. In fact, I hate all the above things. But if you are the type of traveller who enjoys peace, tranquillity, authentic values, friendly staff, a truly stunning location, lovely cottages built of local materials, organic food, beautiful gardens, absolutely breathtaking views of the Pitons on the way to the beach and general feeling of being in Paradise – Fond Doux Plantation is for you. (and yes, it’s got a lovely swimming pool)

This is the video of Jalousie Beach and you can see what I mean by going on about Paradise. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FlGFvyh5XeE The saxophone was part of the scene – played by a Rastafarian guy near the cafe.

Staying at Fond Doux was the best holiday I’ve ever had. Many thanks to all the staff who were all really friendly and helpful. I will definitely be coming back and bringing my family – my husband is feeling terribly envious and regrets that he let me go on my own this time!

PS They have the best rum-punch I’ve ever tasted!

PPS Trip Advisor now has a category called "fitness center" - this is unfair on those places which by definition don't have ones - why would a working cocoa plantation have a gym? And anyway, it's really sad when people go on holidays and spend time on ghastly step-machines - the whole point of the holidays is to get fit by walking miles and swimming! I think that Trip Advisor should get rid of this category, as it's often not applicable.

Room Tip: Look at the description on Fond Doux Estate site - they have very fair descriptions of the cottages...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled solo
4 Thank Artist777
Fonddoux, Owner at Fond Doux Plantation & Resort, responded to this review, 24 February 2012
100 PERCENT THANKS

Sometimes we feel so blest and honoured to be able to meet such extraordinary guests from around the world that touch our lives in such a meaningful way. We recognise that everyone searches for something different and in our challenging and modern world of today to be able to match this criteria and to be genuinely appreciated sparks a triumph for all of our Fonddoux Family.

The chord of authenticity and maintaining that balance is an achievement which we highly appreciate. The eco rainforest and the organic plantation with the myriad and teeming birdlife that produce such soothing and unique sounds at night does produce a veritable paradise. .

We will continue our best to maintain the integral architecture which you enjoyed and also the experience of an authentic St.Lucia and will do our utmost to ensure that your next experience is even better than the last as we strive to define this paradise niche.

We thank you for your gracious support.

Best Regards: Lyton and Eroline Lamontagne
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 February 2012

My husband and I stayed here in February of this year.We were brought by our Taxi driver, to see the place as we arrived in St Lucia without any bookings.Right away, I loved it! Our Cottage was up on a hill overlooking the rainforest, so gorgeous ,with a large veranda with rocking chairs, what more could you want?And ,yes it is a hike and not for the feeble of body, but that is where the charm comes in.It is a bargain in comparison to Ladera or Jalousie Plantation.Both in my opinion , so overpriced! Not sure if I would go back to St Lucia , as I love to walk on beaches, and there is only one at Jalousie, Fond Doux offers free transport every day , but it is just a bit uncomfortable as the security there obviously see's us as intruders and are always standing watching us. The Beaches are public in St Lucia or Jalousie would never allow this , I am sure, unless your pay the big bucks to stay there.
All in all we loved our stay and enjoyed the food in their restaurant .Food is expensive on St Lucia and Fond Doux's prices were in line with many other restaurants.
We had some water problems way up in our cottage , but they looked after it immediately and always with a smile!
We would recommend Fond Doux to anyone who is looking for a rustic , real holiday. Oh yes, comfortable bed (King Size) and great towels.

Room Tip: If you don't mind the up hill hike, the cottages on the hill are fantastic!
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
FRIENDLY AND CHARMING REVIEW APPRECIATED

Heartfelt thanks from the management and staff of Fonddoux Holiday Plantation for your charming review.

These hilltop cottages are perched in the rainforest with panoramic views of the mountains and are particularly appreciated for their promotion of a healthy lifestyle. Our more health conscious guests burn off calories just walking up to these cottages and can appreciate the numerous fruit trees and flowers on this rainforest vista. The avid bird watchers encounter fantastic bird species darting among the foliage of this fertile plantation just how nature and God intended.

As you rightly stated our beaches are public and St.Lucians are generally friendly, the security guards basically do their work which is to ensure that guests can relax in safety.

We continue to promote health and wellbeing in our organic restaurants and are happy to note your comments about our "Jardin Cacao" Restaurant. " All in all we loved our stay" pretty well sums it up and once again we thank you for your patronage and hope to host you once again in the future.

Best Regards: Lyton and Eroline Lamontagne
Plymouth, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 February 2012

We stayed here in November 2011. The accomodation is in beautiful surroundings and close to the Pitons. The last time we stayed here we stayed in the Jalousie not far from here.The accomodation is a little jaded but the view and surroundings more than make up for this. The restaurant was very good. The staff were very welcoming. We loved the balcony of the accomodation in the evening and watching our resident frog and the noise of all the tree frogs. The room had a fridge and we were given a welcome bowl of fruit which was picked from the plantation which was far tastier than fruit from the supermarket!. We were originally going to stay at the Stonefield Villas which we visited whilst we were there but although these are beautiful they are just too overpriced. Definitely would go back here. We stayed in Rodney Bay for the second half of our holiday and found that to be very different. It is much more commercialised although very enjoyable. Pigeon Island was definitely the highlight in the north of the island and also the scenery is beautiful and the beaches are lovely. There are also far more dining out options and plenty of good restaurants. The south of the island is far less developed and felt much more tropical.All in all I would recommend this island for its lovely people and unique landscape.

Room Tip: Hilltop Guava is the best view
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank joyceanddavid_12
Fonddoux, Owner at Fond Doux Plantation & Resort, responded to this review, 18 February 2012
TOP OF THE HILL THANKS

We greatly appreciate the time you have taken to express your views and satisfaction of Fond Doux Holiday Plantation.
We are pleased that you clearly had a very good time at the resort, and the staff is most enthusiastic to be so graciously acknowledged for their efforts.
We are happy that you had chosen Fond Doux over the properties in Soufriere as our rates are cost effective and we offer value added.
We currently upgrading our cottages and are in the process of adding six more cottages to our collection.
In summary, we are encouraged that you felt compelled to conclude your review by stating “All in all I would recommend this island for its lovely people and unique landscape’s”. Thank you for that, and we do look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Best Regards,
Eroline & Lyton Lamontagne
France
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 February 2012

The welcome was very friendly, the staff were extremely attentive and courteous, the surrounds were lush and beautiful and our accommodation was relaxing, peaceful and private - just what we'd been looking for!
We stayed in Angelina Villa, a beautiful example of historic local architecture with a pretty verandah and rocking chairs to sink into whilst enjoying the magnificent garden views (and the company of the little plantation kitten who insisted on snuggling into the chairs with us!).
We went to sleep to the sound of tree frogs and night crickets, in one of the most comfortable beds I've ever been in, leaving the shutters open so that we could enjoy the balmy breezes.
All in all an ideal place to sample an authentic slice of caribbean nature and history.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
STAFF WISHES CHARMING THANK YOU!!

Thank you for making the effort to share your feedback regarding your recent experience at Fond Doux Holiday Plantation.
The recognition of our attentive and courteous staff, magnificent garden views and relaxing accommodations are appreciated.
Until one visits the resort, it is difficult to describe the ambience and peacefulness which you so honestly stated first hand.

Thank you for your comments and continued support of Fond Doux Holiday Plantation and we look forward to welcoming you back to our Authentic Slice of Caribbean Nature and History.

Best Regards