All reviewsmango tree restaurantoutdoor showerpetit pitonprivate poolour honeymoonst luciasugar beachhomemade jamscell phonefull kitchenamazing viewsocean viewbotanical gardenscaribbean seabanana pancakesthe general managerrented a car
Reviewed 3 August 2017

I was looking for a special family vacation spot as my two daughters both graduated this year...one from college the other from high school...how many more family vacations will there be with just the 4 of us? I looked everywhere...Hawaii, U.S. Virgin Islands, Bermuda...then I came across Stonefield Estate Resort in St. Lucia on Expedia.com. The price was competitive and the pictures of the place on Expedia just looked amazing. I still kept looking for something else, but came back to Stonefield, pulled the trigger and booked a 7 night stay at the Bougainvillea two bedroom villa. I fully expected the pictures on Expedia to be of another villa, but when we arrived I immediately realized the images were completely accurate but did not do justice to how amazing the views really are. I could tell right away I hit the nail on the head...at least as far as the view goes. I enjoy taking pictures with my Olympus camera and I must have taken a hundred shots of our view of the Petit Piton with the pool in the foreground...I found paradise! We arrived on a Tuesday a little late as our JetBlue flight was about 3 hours late, which pissed me off, but apparently it was due to weather conditions on our plane's previous flight. That night there was a manager's reception at the resort's Mango Tree restaurant where we were fortunate enough to meet some of the staff. Whoever does the hiring at Stonefield does a damn good job as the employees are all top notch. Waiters Larus and Nixon are real characters and very fun to talk to and be around...I really wanted a group photo with them, but unfortunately I never made the opportunity. I can't say enough about how much the staff helped us to enjoy every minute of our stay. The villa itself is a beautiful, rustic, open-air structure that includes a small kitchen where we were able to make dinner one night in an attempt to save a little $ versus eating out...the island is pretty expensive. Being that the villa is open-air, inevitably small harmless creatures tend to find their way in every now and then...not a big deal, but my wife and daughters are petrified of anything bigger than an ant. The noise the insects make at night is almost deafening...way louder than anything back home (Western New York state) and being that the walls to the outside are mostly covered with screens you hear it all loud and clear! It definitely added to the experience, but in a positive way as the noise was never an issue, but more a topic of conversation. The villa also had its own private pool which we enjoyed often during our stay. Hanging out around the pool at night was enjoyed on a limited basis as my wife and daughters were getting bitten by mosquitoes...I think I was bit once or twice the whole stay...the girls all had numerous bites all over their bodies...bring insect repellent if you go to St. Lucia! Thankfully the beds have insect nets over them so that helped a great deal. We often stayed at the beach long into the day and it was very refreshing to jump in the pool afterwards before venturing out to dinner. The villa also had the coolest semi-outdoor shower! The water pressure wasn't that great in the shower and the shower heads could probably stand a bath in vinegar to improve water flow. The property around the villas is absolutely beautiful. Flowers and fruit trees are everywhere. The guests are allowed to eat the fruit off the trees, but the resort staff just recommends showing the fruit to them before eating it. There are a couple of rocks with ancient carvings on them - petroglyphs - in a remote small rain forest area on the resort grounds that is a short but enjoyable walk. The resort doesn't have it's own beach, but there is a free shuttle that goes to the nearby Sugar Beach resort and it departs Stonefield at 9am, 11am, 1pm, 3:30pm and 4:30pm. There's a tour operator that works right there at the drop off point at Sugar Beach called Ocean Angel Boat Tours. Owners Randolph and his son Johnny are top notch and provided us with three outstanding tours...a hike up the Gros Piton (way harder than expected, but well worth the effort) a mud bath/waterfall/snorkling excursion and a shopping trip to Castries. These guys are not affiliated with Stonefield resort in any way, but I have no problem recommending their services...they truly are very nice, hard working people that will go the extra mile for you. Just ask around a Sugar Beach, they are well known there and someone can get you in touch with them...all of their tours are less expensive than if you were to book them at the hotel. However, the hotel does have one advantage: they give you a cell phone when you first check in at the hotel and you can use it to call for assistance with anything. We had a taxi run us over to Anse Mamin beach near the Anse Chastenet resort and we stayed there from lunch time to after sunset. To get a taxi back to Stonefield was just a phone call back to the resort...super easy. If you book excursions with Johnny and Randolph they work hard to make sure you're back to Sugar Beach so you can get the free shuttle back to Stonefield...It's great that they do that, it's just more time restricting. We used a combination of these services...Johnny and Randolph during the day and mostly booked taxis thru the resort at night. It worked out well, but spent a fortune...we literally ran out of cash while we were there and had to hold back on our tips! Most places add a 10% service charge to the bill anyway, but I always wanted to leave something for our servers during breakfast which was included in the cost of our villa, but I felt bad as we literally had nothing but our credit cards left by the end of the 7 days...I think we brought $1200 with us! Ouch! Anyway, I don't regret anything, we really had the time of our lives here and would love to come back someday. Thank you Stonefield!

Room Tip: I can only vouch for the Bougainvillea villa...it was excellent and had the best view imagineable.
  • Stayed: July 2017, travelled with family
1  Thank Paul M
John K, General Manager at Stonefield Villa Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 7 August 2017

Hello Paul!
You did the right thing with taking your family for a vacation! We believe that time spent with family is precious and are glad that you chose to stay for a week with us at the Bougainvillea two bedroom villa. We are incredibly proud of our staff and know that they always do their best for every guest. We will happily pass the thanks forward. We hope that you are able to take a photo with all of our staff the next time you are back! We are very glad that you saw the natural noises at night to be a positive thing and we believe it to be apart of the experience of being in St. Lucia. Thank you for the advice about the shower heads, we will get on it as soon as possible to fix the water flow for our future guests. We are very happy to hear that you had the time of your lives, it was a pleasure hosting you and we can't wait to see you back again! Thank you Paul for being a great guest and for leaving this review.

Reviewed 26 July 2017

We spent our second week in St Lucia in Ginger Lily and loved every minute of our stay. It was so spacious and peaceful and the outdoor pool was lovely with views of the ocean and Piton. It was handily quite near the restaurant next to main swimming pool. The breakfasts were good and we had dinner three times including the barbecue with live band entertainment, food and band both excellent. We loved the outdoor shower, thankfully hardly any bugs about apart from some invisible mosquitoes! And the night chorus of tree frogs etc was lovely. The air con was great and the room quiet and very clean. Basic kitchen with fridge, toaster, coffee maker, kettle which was fine for us. The grounds of Stonefield are beautifully kept and the staff very helpful when we contacted them by the supplied mobile phone. We used shuttle to sugar beach where free sun beds are squashed in corner of beach so one day we hired hotel beds at $50 each (ouch!) but they are good. We found snorkelling better (and cheaper beds) at Anse Chastanet/Anse Mamin which we hired a driver, Peter Lansiquot (1(758)713-9207) to get to. We also used Peter to get to other sights and Boucan and Ladera restaurants (both excelllent with fab views). Hiring a driver worked out less for us than hiring a car and he was very informative. Stonefield is very well located for lots of activities, sights and restaurants and I think it is a most amazing place to stay in Soufriere.

Room Tip: We were very happy with Ginger Lily with ocean/Piton view
  • Stayed: July 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Travellers-Three

It is great to hear that you loved every minute spent during your stay. We work as hard as we can to ensure that for all of our guests! We appreciate the time taken to write this detailed review and for the recommendations that you gave for future guests! Peter is an excellent driver and his knowledge of the area is unparalleled. We are very happy to know that you got to explore our beautiful area and hope that you come back soon! We also believe that this is the most amazing place to stay in Soufriere. All the best!

Reviewed 25 July 2017

Myself and family stayed for one night while other family members stayed longer. We were there for my daughter's wedding. I have no words to express the breathtaking experience, picturesque views. Friendly warm greeting as we arrived, great staff !! It was like being on an island all by itself, private and relaxing. Very clean environment. The day and night view is spectacular, surrounded by greenery. Outdoor, secluded showers. We stayed in a large 3 bedroom villa, clean and comfortable, large rooms and large beds, comes with a kitchen, fridge and stove. Surrounded with trees. We were able to pick mangoes and ate them right there on the spot :) The Mango Tree Restaurant was amazing, pool side, with an ocean view. Great staff and delicious food. My daughter and her husband had their wedding reception there and everything worked out as planned. Everyone had a great time! Valna helped with the coordination, she was very organized and helpful, easy to work with. Thank you Valna!! Also, thanks to everyone else who helped us :)
I would return there in a heartbeat :) I highly recommend Stonefield Estate Resort for your vacation stay.

Best regards,

Diane C.

Room Tip: Excellent place, great views, rooms are large and well kept. One level Villas, outdoor showers. Great experience!!
  • Stayed: July 2017, travelled with family

Hello Diane!
We are very happy to have hosted you and your party for your daughter's wedding. We do everything that we can to ensure that everything went perfectly. We are very proud of our staff and are glad to hear that you found them friendly and welcoming. We would like to say a huge congratulation to your daughter and her husband, it was really an honour for us to host, and we are forever grateful to have been apart of the experience. You picked a perfect time of year for the weather and our own grown mangos. We will pass the thanks onto Valna and really appreciate the kind words. We would happily host you in a heartbeat too! Thank you for the recommendation! All the best!

Reviewed 12 July 2017

My husband and I celebrated our 20th anniversary here and the pictures do not do this place justice. There is attention to detail and the views are stunning! We had many afternoon showers during our visit and we did not care because we just hung out on our front porch on the hammock and watched the rain fall! Crisp white sheets and mostly firm mattress was so comfortable for us! Other hotels near here are more expensive and I am not sure that they offer more. Our villa was Frangipani....literally the one pictured! We are so grateful to have found this place. It was close to everything we wanted to do. The grounds were immaculate and everyone was so nice.
We did end up booking a trip to Anse La Ray for the Friday Fish Fry at the hotel's recommendation. We paid a cab and drove the insane road for an hour only to find it was not running anymore. The hotel did credit us back half the fare. And we ate at the Mango Tree when we returned, but it was a bummer. The Thursday night buffet with Limbo and Fire Show was fantastic! We loved this little local find, rather than the more commercialized, more expensive villas!!

Room Tip: Probably not a bad room, but we went for part ocean, part garden
  • Stayed: July 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Elizabeth S
John K, General Manager at Stonefield Villa Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 25 July 2017

Hello Elizabeth!
Thank you for choosing us to be where you and your husband celebrated such a grand event! We are glad that you were both able to relax and adventure around the area island. We are truly sorry about the recommendation for Anse La Ray, and hope that it did not dampen your stay in St. Lucia. We are very proud of our villas and hope that you choose to stay with us again the next time you are visiting.

Reviewed 12 July 2017

We accidentally booked an extra day on our trip and needed a place to stay for one night. I wish we would have known about the Stonefield because we would have booked our entire trip here instead! We stayed in the Frangipani villa. Our room was private and the pool/view was amazing!! The driver they called to pick us up from the airports name was Peter. He was one of my favorite parts of the entire trip. He was a local who knew all about the island. The drive from the airport was long but he had plenty of facts to share with us, and even drove us to see some local stops along the way. We had to leave for our resort the next day, and he offered to drive us there as well and it was another fun trip with Peter. He took us to buy some local bread and drinks, offered to take us shopping, and even knew which awesome locals to buy gifts from. The staff was fantastic and we had a great time. I cant wait to go back and stay longer. If you are looking for something private, and less of the resort scene this is the place for you!

Room Tip: The Frangipani has a mountain and ocean view perfect for watching the sunset!
  • Stayed: January 2017, travelled with friends

Hey Morgan!
We are glad that you found out about us and gave us the opportunity to treat you the way you deserve. Peter is a great man and we are glad that you got to enjoy his services! We will pass the kind words along to him. We hope that you come back and visit us all soon!