The location is sensational.
The prices are crazy, you have to forget the cost if you are there and enjoy .The cost on pricelists are bad enough , but 10% service charge and 10% tax on top can bring tears to the strongest of constitutions. I wish the resort would adopt the same tipping process as Sandy Lane in Barbados , where you tip at the end of your holiday . Here the billing process and the expectation of the staff for tips on top of the 10% service charge follows the American expectation of tipping.
If you can afford to come here then close your eyes when the bills / checks arrive for your signature.
The staff are a mixed bag , maybe as it was the start of the season when we visited there were a lot of confused members of staff.
Annette at breakfast was amazing, when she had two days off the standard slipped.
The ''butler'' system is not to be confused with a true butler system that you will receive at other resorts , especially in the far east. This ''butler'' is no more than a personal concierge , to reserve tables and obtain taxis. Our butler Michaela , was lovely, she was very friendly and a fine ambassador for the resort.
Ensure that you visit the managers meeting , it is the only time you will see most of them , and tell them the truth. Most people as they have paid lots to be there adopt thr 'Emperors new clothes ' mentality and tell them all is great.
There is much room for improvement in many areas , for instance after dinner , there is nowhere to go , entertainment starts and finishes early , this really needs to be addressed.
As recent hurricanes have damaged many islands in the region , the occupancy rates in the resort will be high. Fate has played into their hands , but much of the resort has a tired feel , a touch of paint here and there and the tending to the trees and foliage . The building of villas on the estate in the opinion of many guests have diverted the attention away from more mundane routine matters. We had a restful and relaxing stay , we met many people who became friends.
Observations are not always criticisms, my fiance and myself have stayed in many lovely places in this region and we could see the potential and the failings present.
This place could learn a lot from other similar resorts in the Caribbean , I believe that they should have more local people in the senior managment team . They need more of the local joy and happiness to permeate through the resort . They need improved staff training , the workforce did not seem happy in their jobs in comparison with other local resorts , such as Ladera resort . When we visited to dine there, the staff there were less well remunerated than at Sugar Beach (A Viceroy resort) but appeared much happier and joyous and friendlier .
In summary , great natural beauty , it could be paradise .
By the nature of the clientelle most of the guests here will have very high expectations , and will be experienced travellers , so the observations above are only made to encourage this resort to achieve its potential .
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Sugar Beach, A Viceroy Resort is set amidst more than 100 acres of tropical rainforest on the island's scenic Caribbean coast. Embraced by St Lucia's majestic World Heritage-listed Pitons, the resort's 96 Luxury Sugar Mill Rooms, Cottages, Villas and Luxury Beachfront Bungalows boast elegant styling, private plunge pool, four poster bed, luxurious Egyptian cotton linens, every possible modern amenity, and personalised butler service. Two stunning white sand beaches, beautiful Rainforest Spa with tree house treatment rooms, full PADI dive facility, and superb waterfront dining ensure the ultimate vacation experience with space enough for honeymooners and families alike. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA and HotelQuickly so you can book your Sugar Beach, A Viceroy Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Jalousie Plantation Hotel Soufrière
- Jalousie Plantation Soufrière
- Jalousie Plantation St Lucia
- Jalousie Hilton
- Sugar Beach, A Viceroy Resort St. Lucia/Soufriere