“Quiet resort, best for the beach and superb restaurant”
Review of East Winds

East Winds
Ranked #1 of 13 Hotels in Gros Islet
Reviewed 4 July 2012

Excellent resort, if a little difficult to find and get to, but this adds to the exclusivity of the place.
Superb beach and pool, no difficulty in getting sun beds ever, pool bar was self service! Food was excellent, staff always friendly and very attentive (nothing was too much trouble), even had drinks service to your lounger on the beach. The activities boys on the beach were especially friendly and helpful. Dinner was also very relaxed. Check out the Parrots also. Lots of wildlife in the gardens especially the land crabs during the day and the frogs at night.

Room Tip: Deluxe Rooms in the gardens are best, very private only 50yards from the beach, superb bathroom with...
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank bubbletazman
Management response:Responded 10 July 2012

SUPERB REVIEW APPRECIATED

Thank you for the concise and informative review of your holiday visit to East Winds Inn. Beginning with the phrase “Excellent resort”, through the numerous superlatives including superb beach and pool, excellent food, always friendly and very attentive staff and very relaxed dinners, it is obvious that you enjoyed yourselves.

We appreciate your awareness of all the natural elements of the resort including the famous botanical gardens. Hopefully, all of these aspects will encourage you to revisit sometime soon – we would love to have you back for more relaxation at the small resort with the big heart.

George J. Reti,
President

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.

Reviewed 28 June 2012

Our 4th visit

For our final week of our holiday we returned to East Winds Inn. We were met by Manager, Gareth, with glasses of champagne – a very nice touch and much appreciated. We had room 14 which faced towards a gazebo and the road but got the shade in the afternoon. It was perfect for us. We added a floor fan to the airconditioning which helped move air across the bed and keep us cool at night. The bed was comfortable but the pillows less so. Bathroom was lovely with great shower pressure and everything was kept very clean. Karen, who has all-seeing eyes, checked on us early in the visit to find out if things were good. We had no complaints!

The staff make this resort as great as it is and were wonderful as usual. It was good to see Bombay Sapphire Gin making an appearance at the swim up bar. The restaurant was good and I think the food is even better than last year - lunches in particular, and I am now addicted to the coffee ice-cream. Henry runs an excellent team and I was impressed by the pre-dinner staff briefing he gives the staff re the menu each evening.

As usual the bar staff had me in fits! Wyndel (the REMORA), Emmanuel, Fred, Kirby, Kerwin, etc and co were great.

Hint. When making a “Bartender’s Delight” add 3.5 oz of chocolate liquor - makes a big difference to chocoholics!. Hanna’s ginger cocktail was delightful as usual and I look forward to her reappearance in the Bartender’s competition next year.

The ladies, Debbie, Mavis, Maggie, Jessica etc were all great and fun to be around. Paula did a great job at breakfast although I do miss the galettes in the morning. I appreciated the daily vegetable smoothie at Breakfast, although the broccoli/spinach combo was probably a step too far. Chrysanthis, Ellie, Leron, Linton were all brilliant too! I apologise if I missed anyone out.

Champagne was served all day Saturday and Sunday. We had invited a number of outside guests for dinner and lunch and they were treated courteously by the staff and well looked after. For one, a resident on the island, it was her first time at East Winds and she was very impressed. We were privileged to meet Christine, who designed the gardens at East Winds and my husband had a good time discussing Botany over dinner. He is a keen photographer and enjoyed the many natural and micro-photo opportunities that the gardens offered.

Watersports have a new team of very-attentive staff, Kensley and Narcisse. They were really helpful in helping me sail the big hobiecats and we had a lot of fun.

We hired a local boat with a couple of Rastas and went off for the day. East Winds packed a superb picnic which was much appreciated.

On our last night we were given a beautifully decorated Gazebo to celebrate our Wedding Anniversary and were served by all the staff including Henry. We were also serenaded by the Sax Player which was a nice touch. The Steinway was in excellent condition and I enjoyed Dien's playing. He is getting very good now!

I can sum up East Winds by the following. I have stayed in many “5*” places who supply a personal Butler or Ambassador, however, at East Winds, all the staff fulfill this role and without fuss. Well done and I look forward to our next visit.

8  Thank St-Lucia_Enthusiast
Management response:Responded 30 June 2012

THANK YOU FOR THE SUPERB ANNIVERSARY REVIEW

Unless one knows the extreme breadth of your experience in St. Lucia and the number of places on that island alone which you have visited, it is difficult to fathom the overall significance of this most positive review of your recent anniversary stay at East Winds Inn. We cannot adequately express our gratitude and appreciation for having selected East Winds from all the available resorts in St. Lucia to share this special time with each other. Notwithstanding that this was your fourth visit to East Winds, it nonetheless seems to have been a most memorable occasion as judged by your numerous accolades of so many staff individually, as well as your commendation of them all as a group. We are certain that will make them all very pleased to know that they succeeded in their objective of providing you a truly special anniversary celebration – making yet another visit a distinct possibility as you have stated.

To contemplate that you have provided 64 reviews in 37 different cities, with a total of 2,449 contributions to this website, garnering 112 helpful votes, is indeed impressive – you are certainly no stranger to a variety of destinations. Yet you still chose the little resort with the big heart – East Winds Inn – for this momentous of occasions. And then to conclude your detailed review where you name a great many of our staff personally in the fondest of ways, with the statement - “ I have stayed in many “5*” places who supply a personal Butler or Ambassador, however, at East Winds, all the staff fulfill this role and without fuss. Well done and I look forward to our next visit.” This evokes such positive emotion for all of us, and we sincerely thank you for that as well.

We greatly anticipate your return, and are touched by your kind and heartwarming comments. Your ongoing support of East Winds Inn is very much a treasure for all of us, and we wish you many more happy years together.

Warmest regards,

Reviewed 22 June 2012

We had a very peaceful, relaxing week. Staff were all helpful, fun and there if you needed anything. We had room 30 which i think was probably the best room as it was right on the beach with fabulous views. It had a bedroom and a sitting room, both with air conditioning (some rooms don't have air con). It also had a terrace with sun loungers and an outside shower which was very useful.
The lunches, for me, were my favourite meal, with barbecues some days and always a big variety. We could easily spend 2 hours sitting relaxing with a glass or 2 of wine after lunch!
The beach staff were excellent and were happy to take you out on the hobbycat whenever you wanted and come and chat when they were not busy.
I did one yoga class. The teacher really knows her stuff! If I could have a teacher like her at home I would go all the time. I used the fitness trail a few times but for me i prefer to just run which proved a bit monotonous running round the paths between the other rooms, but thats just because i was too nervous to venture out onto the road.
We took a guided walk up the Gros Piton which was absolutely fantastic. You need to be reasonably fit to do it, but an amazing view from the top.
All in all a great week.

Room Tip: Pick a ocean view room.
6  Thank lauralou911
Management response:Responded 26 June 2012

THANKS FOR THE PERFECTLY RELAXED REVIEW

We greatly appreciate the perfect review you have posted on your recent stay at East Winds Inn. It is nice to see people refer to their experience as peaceful and relaxing – after all, that is what a holiday is really all about. From your recognition of the excellent staff, the wonderful meals, great yoga teacher and especially the fulfilling lunches for which the resort is famous – right on the beach in a thatched hut if you want – it is clear that you enjoyed yourselves.

You did some sailing as well, and climbed the famous Gros Piton (a height of some 2,500 vertical feet) and as you state, all in all, it was a great week.

We thank you for your support of East Winds Inn and sincerely hope to have you back soon.

Reviewed 22 June 2012

We've just returned from a week at East Winds and thought it was a very good value all inclusive. The food was excellent - especially the evening meals which were sophisticated and consistently high standard. There is a formal dress requirement for the evening meal, which I liked as I always dress for dinner when away, but do feel that the closed toe shoe requirement for men is a bit outdated. A shirt, long trousers and sandals for men are perfectly acceptable in my book, but this just a personal opinion and not a negative point about the hotel. The gardens are beautiful and immaculately kept to National Trust standard! It's true that the staff were always pleasant. You aren't offered drinks when sunbathing during the day, but can help yourself to drinks from the pool bar. Fridges in rooms contain beers and soft drinks. I liked the fact that nice large mugs were provided in the rooms for a proper cup of tea or coffee. It is true that it is isolated in terms of shops, bars, restaurants etc. There isn't really anywhere to walk to of an evening, but if you want a relaxing time in a quiet and beautiful hotel, which is all we wanted from this holiday, East Winds is ideal.

5  Thank JemmyButton
Management response:Responded 26 June 2012

GOOD VALUE REVIEW – THANK YOU

It is always a pleasure to read a review from a satisfied guest stating they received good value for their money, and we appreciate yours in that regard. Your acknowledgement of the excellent food of “high standard”, the beautiful and immaculately kept gardens and the pleasant staff are also welcomed. We will have another discussion amongst our management about the closed toe shoe during evening dinner issue, and while most people willingly abide by this request, we recognize different people have many varying definitions of what constitutes a sandal. Those guests who favour putting on something a bit special in the evening would certainly appreciate seeing closed toe shoes on a man, as opposed to a pair of thongs with some well weathered feet inside them as they enjoy gourmet dining. I think you get the picture and our dilemma – so we tend to lean toward the cautious side.

In your closing line, you state that if you want a relaxing time in a quiet and beautiful hotel, which is all you wanted from this holiday, East Winds is ideal. That is a very positive remark, and we thank you for it and all your other generous superlatives.

We look forward to welcoming you back to East Winds Inn, and appreciate your support.

Reviewed 19 June 2012

The staff ..... each and every member of staff we met was kind, courteous and interested in us and also us in them. Nothing was too much trouble. The food was 'wow' every day and if you are celebrating a special event, a beachside gazebo can be set up, decorated with flowers for a private meal.

We stayed in a deluxe cottage - these have been described well in earlier reviews so I won't repeat the information here. Save to say, they are large and extremely comfortable. The drawer space is immense so fear not about having insufficient storage space for clothing etc ..! Concern has been expressed by one poster about privacy issues with the sunken showers. They are sunk within the bathroom and feature mesh screens and wrought iron depicting the Pitons. Unless one is seriously wanting to spy on another taking a shower, I don't see that privacy is an issue and indeed the lush plants provide natural external coverage.

My only slight criticism would be that perhaps the bath towels could be larger, akin to the size of the beach towels but that is my personal preference.

For UK travellers, our domestic appliances work without the need for adapters. There is a powerful hairdryer in the bathroom which was more than adequate and I had no problem using my GHD straighteners. There is an IPod dock in the deluxe rooms.

I searched long and hard on Google Earth prior to our stay trying to work out whether the resort was in close proximity to say local shops and bars as my husband and I like to walk out at night sometimes after our evening meal. The answer to this question is 'no', although there is a small local bar next to the Post Office on the road from the hotel to the main road. This bar tends to open from Thursdays for the weekend only. It is very much a local bar but visitors are welcome.

The bus routes are very frequent and easy to use to reach places such as Rodney Bay (to the North) or Castries (to the South). It is a 1a bus travelling to either of these destinations and the stops are on the main road which is about a gentle 10 mins walk away from the resort. The cost is minimal.

I had puzzled about whether to bring USD or ECD or a mix of both. Having now been to the island, I would say take some ECD for things like the bus (if using) but we found USD were accepted widely in all shops and the market at Castries.

I had wondered and in truth was worried about driving in St Lucia, despite the UK and the island sharing driving on the left. We always take a car on holiday but I was nervous after reading posts on other forums and seeing some hairy You Tube videos! I can honestly say that anyone who is an experienced driver and used to country lanes (say) that there is nothing to fear. We travelled every inch of the island by Jeep (which I would recommend if thinking of hiring a car in St Lucia) and possibly my best purchase pre travelling was an excellent large scale road map sourced via Amazon. This had far more detail than the typical 'tourist' map one gets when hiring a car. Yes, the roads wind alot but they are nothing to be concerned about. Common sense caution applies as with negotiating sharp bends at home. We drove at night to Gros Islet (to the North past Rodney Bay) for the Friday night Jump Up and encountered no problems driving, parking or at the event itself.

Overall then, an amazing holiday on an amazing island with a resort to die for and one I feel who has much to teach other resorts in terms of customer service. We will certainly take many fond and loving memories back to the UK of the lovely East Winds staff, their kindness and endless service and also of their fellow country men and women who greet you with genuine concern and care to ensure that you are enjoying their beautiful island.

If anyone reading this post has any questions, please feel free to ask and I will reply.

Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
13  Thank gabriella1
Retonias, Owner at East Winds, responded to this reviewResponded 21 June 2012

ONE OF THE BEST REVIEWS WE HAVE EVER HAD – THANK YOU

Beginning with the first two words of your wonderful review – the staff – you go on to eloquently state all the reasons for claiming that your stay at East Winds Inn was probably the best holiday you have ever had. That is a powerful comment – particularly from a Top Reviewer with 103 reviews covering 53 cities with 81 helpful votes – clearly, you are not a stranger to this website, and your opinion should be considered with a great deal of weight and meaning. We thank you sincerely for shedding such a positive light on not only East Winds Inn, but the entire island of St. Lucia, for one cannot properly exist without the other for a truly memorable holiday.

Like you, we fell in love with the island of St. Lucia and its people 22 years ago, and we have not missed a year since. Similarly, many of the staff at East Winds Inn, including the General Manager, have been faithfully serving guests like you for well over 20 years. That is the nature of St. Lucians – loyal, caring, charming and always out to please if given a chance. You obviously did just that – and as stated in previous management responses and even guest postings on this site, as a guest, you get what feelings you evoke. Kindness and humor are returned instantly and nowhere will you find more interesting and engaged hotel staff than at a resort where they feel like part of a family. That is not really the ”secret” of East Winds’ success, because it would be unjust to call it so. Rather, it is an attitude where staff are provided with the support and confidence to behave in a relaxed and personal fashion – still professional enough to ensure good service, but without all the pretense and formality that prevents a truly genuine approach and experience. That is why we refer to East Winds Inn as “the small resort with a big heart” –you clearly discovered just that and we thank you for doing so.

Your numerous positive comments about the resort and the island are well articulated – anyone reading this review will immediately appreciate all of their qualities. However, your last paragraph does an excellent job of summing it all up – “Overall then, an amazing holiday on an amazing island with a resort to die for and one I feel who has much to teach other resorts in terms of customer service.” It doesn’t get much better than that, and your remarks are greatly appreciated.

Thank you for your support of East Winds Inn, and we eagerly look forward to your ultimate return.

George J. Reti,

23.9 km away
Anse Chastanet
Anse Chastanet
#5 of 11 in Soufriere

Been to East Winds? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK