“PROBABLY THE BEST HOLIDAY WE HAVE EVER HAD,”
Review of East Winds

East Winds
Ranked #1 of 13 Hotels in Gros Islet
South Yorkshire
“PROBABLY THE BEST HOLIDAY WE HAVE EVER HAD,”
Reviewed 19 June 2012

The staff ..... each and every member of staff we met was kind, courteous and interested in us and also us in them. Nothing was too much trouble. The food was 'wow' every day and if you are celebrating a special event, a beachside gazebo can be set up, decorated with flowers for a private meal.

We stayed in a deluxe cottage - these have been described well in earlier reviews so I won't repeat the information here. Save to say, they are large and extremely comfortable. The drawer space is immense so fear not about having insufficient storage space for clothing etc ..! Concern has been expressed by one poster about privacy issues with the sunken showers. They are sunk within the bathroom and feature mesh screens and wrought iron depicting the Pitons. Unless one is seriously wanting to spy on another taking a shower, I don't see that privacy is an issue and indeed the lush plants provide natural external coverage.

My only slight criticism would be that perhaps the bath towels could be larger, akin to the size of the beach towels but that is my personal preference.

For UK travellers, our domestic appliances work without the need for adapters. There is a powerful hairdryer in the bathroom which was more than adequate and I had no problem using my GHD straighteners. There is an IPod dock in the deluxe rooms.

I searched long and hard on Google Earth prior to our stay trying to work out whether the resort was in close proximity to say local shops and bars as my husband and I like to walk out at night sometimes after our evening meal. The answer to this question is 'no', although there is a small local bar next to the Post Office on the road from the hotel to the main road. This bar tends to open from Thursdays for the weekend only. It is very much a local bar but visitors are welcome.

The bus routes are very frequent and easy to use to reach places such as Rodney Bay (to the North) or Castries (to the South). It is a 1a bus travelling to either of these destinations and the stops are on the main road which is about a gentle 10 mins walk away from the resort. The cost is minimal.

I had puzzled about whether to bring USD or ECD or a mix of both. Having now been to the island, I would say take some ECD for things like the bus (if using) but we found USD were accepted widely in all shops and the market at Castries.

I had wondered and in truth was worried about driving in St Lucia, despite the UK and the island sharing driving on the left. We always take a car on holiday but I was nervous after reading posts on other forums and seeing some hairy You Tube videos! I can honestly say that anyone who is an experienced driver and used to country lanes (say) that there is nothing to fear. We travelled every inch of the island by Jeep (which I would recommend if thinking of hiring a car in St Lucia) and possibly my best purchase pre travelling was an excellent large scale road map sourced via Amazon. This had far more detail than the typical 'tourist' map one gets when hiring a car. Yes, the roads wind alot but they are nothing to be concerned about. Common sense caution applies as with negotiating sharp bends at home. We drove at night to Gros Islet (to the North past Rodney Bay) for the Friday night Jump Up and encountered no problems driving, parking or at the event itself.

Overall then, an amazing holiday on an amazing island with a resort to die for and one I feel who has much to teach other resorts in terms of customer service. We will certainly take many fond and loving memories back to the UK of the lovely East Winds staff, their kindness and endless service and also of their fellow country men and women who greet you with genuine concern and care to ensure that you are enjoying their beautiful island.

If anyone reading this post has any questions, please feel free to ask and I will reply.

Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
13 Thank gabriella1
Retonias, Owner at East Winds, responded to this review, 21 June 2012
ONE OF THE BEST REVIEWS WE HAVE EVER HAD – THANK YOU

Beginning with the first two words of your wonderful review – the staff – you go on to eloquently state all the reasons for claiming that your stay at East Winds Inn was probably the best holiday you have ever had. That is a powerful comment – particularly from a Top Reviewer with 103 reviews covering 53 cities with 81 helpful votes – clearly, you are not a stranger to this website, and your opinion should be considered with a great deal of weight and meaning. We thank you sincerely for shedding such a positive light on not only East Winds Inn, but the entire island of St. Lucia, for one cannot properly exist without the other for a truly memorable holiday.

Like you, we fell in love with the island of St. Lucia and its people 22 years ago, and we have not missed a year since. Similarly, many of the staff at East Winds Inn, including the General Manager, have been faithfully serving guests like you for well over 20 years. That is the nature of St. Lucians – loyal, caring, charming and always out to please if given a chance. You obviously did just that – and as stated in previous management responses and even guest postings on this site, as a guest, you get what feelings you evoke. Kindness and humor are returned instantly and nowhere will you find more interesting and engaged hotel staff than at a resort where they feel like part of a family. That is not really the ”secret” of East Winds’ success, because it would be unjust to call it so. Rather, it is an attitude where staff are provided with the support and confidence to behave in a relaxed and personal fashion – still professional enough to ensure good service, but without all the pretense and formality that prevents a truly genuine approach and experience. That is why we refer to East Winds Inn as “the small resort with a big heart” –you clearly discovered just that and we thank you for doing so.

Your numerous positive comments about the resort and the island are well articulated – anyone reading this review will immediately appreciate all of their qualities. However, your last paragraph does an excellent job of summing it all up – “Overall then, an amazing holiday on an amazing island with a resort to die for and one I feel who has much to teach other resorts in terms of customer service.” It doesn’t get much better than that, and your remarks are greatly appreciated.

Thank you for your support of East Winds Inn, and we eagerly look forward to your ultimate return.

George J. Reti,
President
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (235)
Bristol
Reviewed 14 June 2012

No holiday will ever come with greater expectation than a honeymoon and no holiday is as reliant on the choice of hotel.

East Winds gave us the experience we were looking for and more. We'd love to go back and re-live the entire fortnight.

The hotel is intimate, quiet, elegant and understated. The staff are fantastic - charming, attentive - and proud to work there.

The food delivered on its reputation and for a pair of self-confessed foodies this always makes or breaks a holiday. Time simply flew between meal times and every one was a delicious, laid back experience.

The booze was just as good; top wines and spirits on demand. The expertly made cocktails and the pre dinner drinks in the ambient bamboo lounge were particularly enjoyable.

The gardens are mature and wonderfully tended. They create a feeling of peace and privacy amongst the 30 or so 'cottages'.

The beach is small but more than big enough and private (not shared with an adjoining hotel). The sea is beautiful and calm and the snorkelling off the beach is enjoyable but for real underwater afficionados there are excellent reefs a short boat ride away. You can learn to sail a catamaran, go for a kayak or pedalo, or if your chosen water sport requires an engine then it's a short walk round the bay to the next hotel.

The only slight disappontment is that the superior rooms aren't as comfortable as the delux. Plenty of space and newly appointed bathrooms but the mattresses aren't as firm and there isn't air con or a TV, which you might expect to come as standard. This was our only grievance and it couldn't have been dealt with more gracefully.

This hotel knows what it is and has plenty that others don't. No pretence, no fuss. We felt at home and relaxed almost instantly and we've got the memories we hoped for.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank martineandmatthias
Retonias, Owner at East Winds, responded to this review, 18 June 2012
THE PERFECT HONEYMOON REVIEW – THANK YOU

Given your great expectations and the importance placed on your two week honeymoon experience – which is certainly understandable - the fact you were so obviously pleased with your choice of East Winds Inn and can’t wait to come back, is extremely gratifying for all. We thank you sincerely for your direct and well written review covering all of the important aspects of the time you spent at East Winds Inn.

The intimacy of the hotel, the attentive staff, excellent food and drink, well-tended gardens generating peace and privacy, calm and beautiful sea are all so eloquently commented upon in your review – we greatly appreciate that too.

Most of all, you capture the essence of East Winds so accurately in your last line - This hotel knows what it is and has plenty that others don't. No pretense, no fuss. We felt at home and relaxed almost instantly and we've got the memories we hoped for – what more could we ask for than that?

Thank you for the support, and we look forward to welcoming you back some day to further celebrate your new lives together.

Sittingbourne, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 June 2012

It always amazes Julie and I that East Winds maintains such high standards and nothing is too much bother to the staff. This year we returned and there were even more improvements not least the fact that Champagne was also available all day on Saturdays and Sundays.
The food we felt at lunchtimes was an improvement over previous years and it was good then our only disappointment was there was no lobster on the BBQ but I presume that is because it was out of season.
Special mention must go to Windel and Kerwin in the bar who always had a happy smile and a friendly greeting even when we were talking about the West Indian cricket team.
We look forward to returning in coming years with even more improvements.

5 Thank Holidayjustice
Retonias, Owner at East Winds, responded to this review, 17 June 2012
BRIGHT AND PERFECT REVIEW APPECIATED

It is always a pleasure to receive a review from repeat guests who proclaim that things are still improving at East Winds Inn – thank you for stating that so emphatically. The staff are surely appreciative of your acknowledgements, and will be looking forward to your next visit, as by then, the West Indies is bound to win at least one cricket game.

As for the lobster on Friday night Bar-B ques, we do serve them as usual, in season. The St. Lucian government has shortened lobster season, now finishing at the end of March – so if you are intent on experiencing them, you should return before that date. In their absence, we do serve jumbo prawns, the strip loin steaks and local fish, as well as a pasta dish and all the regular trimmings – of course, finished with the famous rum baba and cheese board, not to mention the coconut and banana flans.

We look forward to welcoming you back again, and are hopeful that you will be pleasantly surprised with even more improvements to add to your holiday experience.

Thank you for your continued support of East Winds Inn – our strength is in our satisfied guests.

George J. Reti,
tennessee
Reviewed 6 June 2012

My husband and I stayed here for 5 nights. We were very excited because we had read all of the great reviews here and it seemed like the place for us. We flew into Hewanorra and took the helicopter to the other airport and a short taxi ride to the resort - highly recommended for the views and a different way to see the island but be forewarned, your luggage does not travel with you (it comes by car and will arrive anywhere from 2-3 hours later) so if you do it, be prepared to open your bags and carry some things with you that you may need before it is delivered. Also, more than likely you will also have 4 additional passengers riding with you as well - not a private ride and the cost is $290 per couple (St. Lucia Helicopters).
As a quiet, isolated resort that forces you to concentrate on nothing but relaxing, it was spot on. I was thrilled my husband could not get phone service. As for the resort itself, it was pretty tired looking. We had the deluxe accommodations which included an air conditioner (note - the bathroom is NOT air conditioned and you must keep that door closed and the ceiling fan running in order to keep the room cool). Our room was clean and very quaint - we really enjoyed the shower - you had to walk down into it. It had two screens above it and it was a little disconcerting at night because standing in the bathroom itself, if someone outside wanted to observe you, they could; they would have to maneuver themselves among the flora and fauna but it wouldn't be that difficult.
Service - I'm not sure how to word this other than to say the service we did get was good, but for a resort that small and the staff they had (and the price we paid), service should have been great. Reception was very friendly and helpful and we encountered no difficulties with any of the staff. We were just amazed at the amount of self service that we had to provide within the resort. There is one bar at the beach and while they could manage to send people out to pick up empty glasses, etc., there was no one offering to bring drinks - you had to walk to the bar every time you wanted something. Not that far, but kind of annoying. I will say that of all of the staff, the bartenders we encountered during our stay were not overly friendly or welcoming but we really didn't frequent it that much. No service at the pool - essentially an open bar and they have a menu with recipes but I didn't go to bartending school and prefer to have someone else with much more experience mix my drinks while I am on vacation. Apparently, most people don't mind and it's not that I'm some prima donna that expects to be waited on hand and foot - most things I prefer to do myself - but when I pay a premium price for a resort, I expect a few little perks, like not having to mix my own drinks. I can do that in my own house in my own pool for free. Meals were the same; it was not that we didn't get "good" service, but you couldn't help but notice that the wait staff seemed to be more concerned with watching for us to clean our plates and put our forks down so they could clear our plates than they were about whether or not we needed a drink refill. We just felt that if they had concentrated more on actual service than clean up, we would have no complaints. If we had been just a little paranoid, we would have felt like we were being rushed, especially at breakfast and lunch. No freestyle dining; all meals were served during a certain time and no room service.
Food- for the most part, the food was delicious, especially dinner. Breakfast and lunch were buffet - breakfast was exactly the same every day, lunch was the same except for the meats, not a tremendous amount of choices; dinner was an a la carte with 3 choices for appetizer, main course and dessert. Breakfast and lunch pretty standard and boring but no real complaints about the food. They used a lot of local fare, which was nice. Their ice cream was wonderful - loved the coffee ice cream and they have a huge selection and it is always available even if not on the menu so ask for it. No food in your mini bar - you have a small fruit basket that apparently is not changed for your entire stay (we were there 5 days so we assume that anyone staying longer, it would be "refreshed"), a small amount of soda, beer and water and they were good at replenishing it. Again, the staff were always helpful and accommodating but we just felt they could have provided a higher level of service at the beach and pool, which would really have helped to make the resort seem more luxurious.
Spa - no spa. They have a list of things they can book for you in reception, but the massage either occurs in your room or on your front porch. We wanted a couples massage so they had to set up in the lobby/sitting area of the oceanfront rooms (which were not closed off for the duration but we were not bothered). It was nice to hear the ocean waves but I got bit worse by bugs during that time than I did the entire trip so needless to say, I don't think I will have anymore outdoor massages, although they did a good job.
Activities - they have Pilates and yoga. I did not do the yoga, but the Pilates instructor was wonderful and we really enjoyed it. They have a fitness trail that was in need of some maintenance (and some mowing). We could only assume that it is not used enough by the guests to warrant time spent on it. They have snorkeling gear, paddleboats, kayaks and a Hobiecat. Snorkeling was average, but the paddleboats and kayaking provide a good workout and a chance to see what's on each side of the resort. The beach was small but fine for the amount of guests there (at least it wasn't a long walk to the bar!). At night, they had a piano player or a saxophonist??? playing during dinner; other than that, no other entertainment unless you wanted to read or play board games.
Excursions- we took a catamaran excursion with SunLink Tours which included a land portion to a botanical garden, a waterfall, a plantation and the sulfur springs in the volcano. The staff was wonderful (Heidi is an awesome tour guide!) and it was very enjoyable.
To sum it up, it was a great resort for a very quiet, secluded getaway. We can only assume that the individuals who have given it such rave reviews must be waited on hand and foot in their daily lives and just needed a couple of weeks of "roughing" it like us regular folk but on a gorgeous island. We just felt that had the service been a little more "full service" as opposed to "self service", just a few tweaks here and there, we would not have come back scratching our heads wondering if we could have gotten the rest and relaxation in our back yard by our pool (obviously sacrificing the ocean views and island experience which was incredible) for a fraction of the price?

20 Thank thebell7
Retonias, Owner at East Winds, responded to this review, 13 June 2012
YES…. COMPARED TO 99 PERCENT OF OUR GUESTS ….. YOU DID MISS SOMETHING

In your own words, you describe East Winds Inn as a quiet, isolated resort that forces you to concentrate on nothing but relaxing, and reinforce that it was spot on for that purpose – that is a very positive comment to begin a review - which we thank you for. It is also the first relevant portion of a lengthy posting in which you state certain disappointments that lead to an eventual granting of a three star, average posting. We appreciate you taking such efforts to comment on your 4 night stay at East Winds Inn (not 5 as you state) recognizing that the average stay of the overwhelmingly satisfied guests who have posted on this website is 11 nights – almost three times as long as you were guests at the resort. To this end, East Winds Inn was just awarded a rare Certificate of Excellence by this website for maintaining a constant 5 star review rating – this on the heels of being named, for 2012, the #1 All-Inclusive Resort in the entire Caribbean/Mexico Region, and #3 in the World as an All-Inclusive Hotel. On this basis alone, compared to the 99.1 percent Customer Satisfaction Index which East Winds Inn enjoyed on this website for 2011, as well as the 276 coveted 5 star reviews which East winds Inn has earned to date, it seems that unfortunately, you did miss something.

We recognize the time you have taken to express your views – a bit of a shame that you could not share any of these comments with our staff whilst you were at the resort – for certainly we could have resolved many of your concerns had we known about them. While your average three star review has many positive elements, it is clearly not what we had hoped for or expected, as there was absolutely no indication of any dissatisfaction through the numerous contacts our staff made with you during your visit. We do understand that everyone has the right to their own opinion of a holiday experience, but at the same time, feel it is necessary and worthwhile to clarify the aspects which you have identified as being below your expectations – however reasonable or unreasonable they may have been.

The entire first paragraph of your posting deals with the helicopter transfer from the International airport to the smaller airport in Castries, from where you would have taken a taxi to East Winds. This is a decision you made totally on your own, and we have absolutely no control or influence over that or the quality of the experience. The great majority of our guests take the taxi ride from the International airport to the resort, and while this takes somewhat longer, it should be viewed as a bit of an island tour, as well as it being a great deal less expensive - $85 USD per couple as opposed to $290 USD per couple – and your luggage travels and arrives with you.

We would like to isolate and highlight the many positives contained in your review as follows:

• You state your room was clean and very quaint - you really enjoyed the shower - you had to walk down into it – yet you also state that the bathroom is not air-conditioned and that you felt there was potential loss of privacy due to the large openings in the circular stone walls for ventilation. Had you indicated this was a concern, we do have specially designed portable louvers which can be installed in a minute if you are after total enclosure and wished to be blocked from the surrounding vegetation and the shower experience which most of our guests highlight as a real plus.

• You comment that reception was very friendly and helpful and you encountered no difficulties with any of the staff – that same reception contacted you the morning after your arrival to check on how you found things, and you stated everything was just fine and totally to your satisfaction.

• Your posting references food- with you stating that for the most part, the food was delicious, especially dinner, and that the resort used a lot of local fare, which you appreciated. You did say that breakfast and lunch were virtually the same every day, but having spent only four nights at the resort, you could not possibly know that breakfast and lunch were the same every day – which they are not unless you choose to make it so. There are three bar-b-ques with different offerings during the week, a Saturday International Buffet featuring many special dishes such as paella, king crab legs, lobster or jumbo prawn salad, special pastas, parma ham, smoked fishes, raclette, roast beef or lamb - all with Steel Band accompaniment, and an ever-changing menu for lunch on a daily basis. Breakfast is what you want to make it – there are dozens of choices which will be happily made right in front of you by Paula – our breakfast chef for the past 17 years – with a multitude of accompaniments as well as a changing daily health drink and homemade yogurt. We also have one of the nicest Italian made cappuccino machines available, and all the staff are well trained to use it properly for any coffee based drinks.

• Your review points out the staff were always helpful and accommodating but felt they could have provided a higher level of service at the beach and pool, which would really have helped to make the resort seem more luxurious. For a 30 room resort, we have 84 staff in total, many of which are bartenders and servers for the four bars on property. Each room also has its own stocked mini-bar with a variety of alcoholic and non-alcoholic beverages included. Two of the four bars are constantly staffed, and the other two are supervised and stocked as necessary. Any form of refreshment is only a few steps away – which you also acknowledge in your review.

• You wanted a couple’s massage so the staff set up in the lobby/sitting area of the oceanfront rooms - which were not closed off for the duration but you were not bothered as it was nice to hear the ocean waves. Just prior to this massage, our Operations Manager spoke with you to see how you were enjoying your vacation, and you told her it was wonderful. There are mosquitoes in the Caribbean, and the resort is fogged weekly to help keep them at limited numbers – which vary from time to time. All resorts have them to contend with – especially those with natural vegetation.

• You enjoyed the activities - did not do the yoga, but you state the Pilates instructor was wonderful. It is unfortunate you did not experience the yoga as well – the instructor is of the highest quality, and is a teacher of yoga teachers. East Winds Inn is the only location she will work outside of her own studio, as she finds it to be the most special and relaxing yoga facility on the island.
• You comment on the snorkeling gear, paddleboats, kayaks and a Hobiecat, stating that snorkeling was average, but the paddleboats and kayaking provided a good workout and a chance to see what's on each side of the resort. There are actually two Hobiecats which our watersports staff will gladly take you out on. The piano you refer to is a Steinway concert grand piano played by talented musicians, which, accompanied by the waves and an ocean breeze in the evening, makes for an unmatched dining experience. Sadly, you would have had only four of those – one or perhaps two with the piano at best. The saxophonist is also very talented and makes for a relaxing dining experience.

• Finally, you sum it up, stating that East Winds Inn was a great resort for a very quiet, secluded getaway. This leaves us to wonder, having stated that and all the rest of the positives above, how you decided to give us such a mediocre rating? We too, as well as our loyal repeat guests, are likely scratching heads as you were yours.

In summary, it would appear that East Winds Inn’s authenticity and tranquility was not exactly what you were after. With just a four night stay, it is difficult to get into the groove of this kind of holiday, and we are hopeful that you will give us a better chance of showing you the merits of proper relaxation by returning for a longer period of time. As we like to say, East Winds Inn is not about doing – it is about being. Perhaps someday you will appreciate that.

We thank you for your comments.

Exeter, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 June 2012

We stayed at East WInds Inn during the first part of May for 10 nights and we had planned our wedding to take place during our stay.

As soon as we arrived we found East Winds to be a very relaxing tranquil place and we felt at home straight away. The staff were very friendly and helpful and made the atmosphere a very happy one.

The food for the whole of our stay was wonderful and there was always a different menu every evening to choose from. The accommodation was also lovely and set in beautiful gardens which we enjoyed walking around spotting the hummingbirds.

We loved the private beach and enjoyed snorkelling spotting the many fish. We took a couple of day trips out to explore the island, and for anyone travelling with Virgin, the rep Natacha was very helpful and friendly.

Before we travelled we were in touch with Glenda who always replied to our questions about our wedding day very promptly and efficiently. Once we had arrived Glenda had arranged for the local lawyer to visit us straight away to get the legal paperwork signed. The co-ordination of our wedding by Glenda and the team was excellent and so ensured we never had any stress or worries.

The photographer, flowers and hair & make up were also booked through the hotel and all were perfect. The wedding day itself went better than we could ever have hoped for and Sylvanus the head gardener and his team put so much effort into making the ceremony area on the beach look beautiful.

A big thank you to everyone at East Winds for making our Wedding Day so memorable we picked the perfect place to say our vows.

East WInds is a wonderful place to stay, made more special by the attentive and friendly staff, we definately hope to return one day.

10 Thank HandCHoliday
Retonias, Owner at East Winds, responded to this review, 15 June 2012
THE PERFECT WEDDING REVIEW – THANK YOU

Can you imagine the joy and happiness you have bestowed on all the staff at East Winds Inn by stating that you picked the perfect place to say your vows on the most special of days – your Wedding Day? Or picture their fulfillment in their day to day tasks by you publicly posting that East Winds is a wonderful place to stay, made more special by the attentive and friendly staff? These statements are so kind and selfless from a couple who were committing to spend the rest of their lives together so far away from home, yet made to feel right at home through the reverberation of their own feelings by people who genuinely care. That is the difference between a wedding at East Winds Inn versus many other locations that have multiple weddings each and every day. At East Winds, as you discovered, you are not just another wedding couple, you become part of the “family” – and that is what makes it so special and non-commercialized. Your gracious review sends that message out loud and clearly – thank you for that.

The numerous details which you have so carefully set out are of great benefit to all potential couples who may be considering a destination wedding which is a bit out of the ordinary, where you are not forced to select from a package, but indeed are allowed to customize exactly what you want and still receive good value. We are so pleased that you found everything to your satisfaction – to the point where you would like to return one day. We look forward to that, and will endeavor to live up to our reputation as “ the small resort with a big heart”.

Thank you for being such wonderful guests and for all the lovely things you have said about East Winds Inn . We hope to see you again soon, and wish you all the best in your married lives together.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Gros Islet
5.6 km away
Cap Maison
Cap Maison
#2 of 4 in Cap Estate

Been to East Winds? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK