“Don't take a group here”

Sandals Regency La Toc Golf Resort and Spa
Ranked #4 of 12 Hotels in Castries
Great Falls, VA
“Don't take a group here”
Reviewed 10 April 2012

We booked a group of twelve for May as a predessor to a group of 150 next year, and for four months we have been trying to arrange dinners and golf tee times for the group with no success. We have been taking these two groups for the past ten years to Secrets, Velas and Occidental chains of all inclusives with no problems, and we can't even get responses from anyone at Sandals. Sandals is not for groups. Thank goodness we have a few months to divert the larger group to a more responsive chain, unfortunately the smaller group will have to wing it without any pre-planning. Sandals--NOT FOR GROUPS.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank mfingerhut
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,802)
Waterloo, Canada
Reviewed 10 April 2012

My wife and I recently returned from our vacation at Sandals la toc in St. Lucia. We had an excellent vacation. The staff, facility and food were terrific! Here are my thoughts on the resort:

Food:

The food was quite good. We especially enjoyed the French restaurant (la toc) and Caribbean restaurant (Pitons). Both of these restaurants were fantastic. Kimonos (teppanaki) was OK... it requires a reservation, however, in hindsight, I would have gladly returned to the Pitons restaurant that did not require a reservation. We also splurged and had dinner on the beach. This was an additional $170 charge (for the couple). The food was quite similar to what you would receive in the French restaurant however you can’t beat a candle lit dinner on the beach. The meal was a four-course meal that surprisingly went by much faster than one would expect (approximately 1 hour and 15 minutes).

On the down side, the main pool bar can get quite crowded. On occasion, it took 5 – 10 minutes to get a drink at the pool bar.

Facilities:

We stayed in a Honeymoon La Toc Premium room. It was located in the main building which is close to the main pool, beach, golf course and gym. We prefer to be close to the action, so this was perfect for us. The room was nice... not the nicest that I have ever stayed in, but clean, well maintained, etc. The gym at the resort is actually quite nice. There are a lot of different machines and free-weights to choose from. The beach is “ok”. There are not a lot of chairs on the beach, with most chairs surrounding the pools. The sand at the beach is not white soft sand. It’s a little darker and coarser and can get quite hot in the afternoon.

Atmosphere:

We had a blast at the resort. The music at the main pool was fun and energetic. We are in our early 30’s and enjoy fun, upbeat music, pool volleyball, etc. We met a lot of other great couples on our trip and had a blast... We ventured to the Sandals Grande one day and 0nly stayed a couple of hours. We found the atmosphere at the Grande to be boring and more geared towards and older crowd. The La Toc has other pools, with pool bars that are geared more towards individuals that enjoy a quieter setting, so all and all, it caters well to multiple demographics.

Staff:

The staff was outstanding. Always smiling and friendly. We had lunch a number of times with various staff members, received hugs in the morning and consistently received upbeat greetings.

Golf:

The golf course is nice... quite short though. It is not difficult to walk, therefore, I would recommend that you save your money and walk the course. Also, if you plan to play more than once, it is definitely worth bringing your own clubs as the resort charges quite a bit to rent clubs. We brought our own clubs and it was well worth it. Lastly, the website is a little deceiving. The facility does not have a driving range, practice range nor a putting green. It has a mat that you can hit balls into a net with... the chipping/ putting green is non-existent.

Excursion:

We did the Son of Man excursion. This included a boat ride to mud baths, waterfalls, an authentic St. Lucian lunch, snorkelling, brief shopping, etc. We also got a chance to cliff dive on our return voyage which was fun... word of advice, watch out for sea urchin. Ouch! In any case, this excursion was worth $100/ person.

Overall, we had a great vacation and would highly recommend this resort. Safe travelling!

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank awhite05
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 10 April 2012

We have travelled alot and this was our first stay at Sandals. After reading the negative reviews I had set my expectations for this resort as a 4 star. I have to tell you it eceeded our expectations, however, I think it is what you make of it. We booked a La Toc Honeymoon deluxe and were upgraded to an oceanfront room (306) which was located between the main pavillion/pool and Neptunes restaurant. The view was fantastic and we could open the patio doors and listen to the surf every morning. Room a little dated but very clean and comfortable. The food was very good, although I was most unimpressed with ther fish/seafood. The restaurants that require reservations do fill up fast, unless you want to eat at 9:00 or after. The entertainment is a little lame and there is really only the pub open late. I found most of the staff to be very friendly, happy and helpful, of course there are always people that should not be there. The main pool is where all the activity an noise is but if you want to relax and have a peaceful afternoon the pool next to the Pitons restaurant will suit the bill. Golf course was OK but very tight with the placement of greens and tee blocks very dangerous. We had some wayward incoming balls several times but, what can you do in such a small, confined course. Only thing I didn't like was that you had to buy beer at the course, $3.00 for a tiny 275ml bottle which I feel should have been complimentary. All in all good resort, good food and something for erveryone. My big beef was when we left for the airport and the bus we were in could barely make it up any hills unless you used first gear. I think we were passed by every vehicle in ST. Lucia. That bus probably was not even road worthy. Don't take all the negative reviews to seriously. The vacation is what you make of it.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank gerogetowntraveller
chicago il
Reviewed 10 April 2012

Short and sweet..... You will not be disappointed with this resort or at least you shouldn't be! We have stayed at previous Sandals resorts and other 'adult only' (Secrets, Couples, Excellence) in the past and I must say, this is now one of our top three! The resort was beautiful and very big! The staff was so wonderful and friendly!! Many thanks to all of them, they went above and beyond!! I cannot believe some of the negative reviews regarding this resort....don't believe a word!! Relax and Enjoy!!

Room Tip: If you are not staying in the Bluff area, try to get a room by the main pool...less walking!
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank airra1
Sharpsville
Reviewed 10 April 2012

This was my first Sandals experience and my first experience of an all inclusive resort. I can not say I will go to a Sandals all inclusive resort again. I do not believe we received what we paid for. The resort itself was nice with good scenery, but the service was poor. Basically, you already paid and they have your money, so there is not much you can do about it, or at least that is the feeling many of us had. To start off my wife and I paid for a room upgrade. Although the room was nice, the staff failed to honor our "express check in," which was nonexistent and we found this out when we were told they would check us in with everyone else and seemed surprised when I attempted to point out we had an "expressed chech in." Additionally, the room upgrade was supposed to incluse a stocked bar. Although I mentioned this to guest services more than once, our "stocked bar" consisted only of water and juices all other rooms had as well. So, our room upgrade ended up only giving us a better view and good location at the resort, which was minimal consolation compared to the money we paid. The website advised the resort offered a business center with internet connection. After we arrived, we were informed they closed the business center a few years ago, but they offered laptops for rent. Although this is a large resort, they had a whopping 2 laptops to rent out, and one was broken. Needless to say I was unable to ever rent a laptop. One evening the resort had a luau on the beach. The same ended up being a bug infestation. People were actually running from the beach. When we tried to go to a different restaurant, we discovered they closed all but two, as they wanted people to go to the luau. One was reservations only and was booked. The other was an English pub, with a 2 hour wait due to 300 people attempting to get dinner at this all inclusive. Many people went without dinner that evening with no compensation. Please understand, only go to this resort if you like HUMIDITY. This resort is blocked in by terrain, so there is little to no breeze. It is very humid!!! Also, there are many stray cats running around that the resort seems to keep on staff. We were there for a wedding, so there were many people in our group. Several others were complaining that the staff did not clean their rooms, and they had to go down to get more water for their rooms and fresh towels, even after complaining for several days. Lastly, the first 3 or 4 days we were there, there were some waves. Security argues with anyone who went down to the beach area, as they did not want you to get in the water. Needless to say, they refused to rent out any ocean equipment, as they attempted to say the beach was closed. Although I have the food marked as very good, the portions were minimal, so we figured out we could order multiple appetizers to make up for it, although on more than one occasion the staff argued about whether we could do this (all inclusive?). As our trip was September 2011 and I am only getting around to posting this now, I cannot remember all of the problems we had. But I will say this: I would not go back to this resort EVEN IF IT WAS FREE, and I will never recommend this resort to anyone else.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Jason P
Also consider these accommodations in or near Castries
17.4 km away
12.1 km away
Cap Maison
Cap Maison
#2 of 4 in Cap Estate

Been to Sandals Regency La Toc Golf Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK