“great holiday..but??” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #4 of 12 Hotels in Castries
Newmarket
“great holiday..but??”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 March 2012

So my husband and I stayed at La Toc! We had a wonderful holiday. The staff will do anything to make you happy. I huge hello to Priscilla at Neptune's. The hotel grounds are kept clean. The staff , no matter who they are will stop to pick up garbage or tidy up the chairs. It does not matter as long as the job it done. The staff always had a hello as we walked the grounds.
The rooms are very clean but I can see what people mean about it being a little dated. Even so clean is what I am after and that it was.
I would like to say however that the sister hotels are not as close as we were lead to believe.
It is a bus ride to Grande of about 45 minutes and Halcyon is about 20 minutes. So it is not a quick trip. We never really felt the need to go over there with so much to do at LaToc.
As restuarants go. There is a buffet at the Pavillion. This runs every morning with slim pickins. That is for sure. No fruit unless you like melon. I was lucky that I got pineapple one morning. You have to wait for scrambled eggs at the omelette station which is annoying. They should just have that in the warmers. We ended up going to Armando's, where they have a la cart for breakfast. Much nicer. Also 3 of the restaurants are closed on Monday and Friday night. You have to go to the street party or the beach party. They were good but if you don't like all the noise tough luck! You also have to have reservations for La Toc ( French Restaurant) and for Kimonos ( Japanese).
We also found that you have to go down to the pool at about 7:30 ish to get chairs or you will be sitting in the full sun all day. The Butlers get pics in before that hour. If you are looking for a nice quiet pool I suggest the pool beside the Pitons. It is small so get there early for chairs. A girl will come around often to get you drinks and even bring lunch.
One huge tip is be careful in the ocean. While we were there 2 people were playing in the waves. 1 man broke his ankle and 1 broke her leg. The guards will come around and urge people to stay out of the water unless they are strong swimmers. Take the advise!!!!!
Even the yellow flag does not mean a whole lot. That is what is was when the accidents occurred!!!
We really enjoyed ourselves. The food was very good the grounds clean and the room very compfortable and clean.
I understand people can find things to complain about and I could but all in all the holiday was fun and fattening.
One last thing is the ride into the hotel was great. People who complain have not taken the drive in to the Riu in Costa Rica. Now that is a roller coster ride!!!
Enjoy LaToc it is a great holiday. Maybe a little overpriced but makes you want to enjoy each day to the fullest to get your money's worth!!!

Room Tip: we were in 706. A little far from pool but quiet with a nice view of the ocean. It was central to ev...
7 Thank superbuddy
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,727)
Sherwood Park, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 March 2012

This was our second Sandal's resort my husband and I have been to, the first being Royal Bahamian. I have come to a realization that you can't take the negative reviews to heart. I had read about a few problems with this resort before going but really did not need to worry. Our room was on the bluff, the La Toc Oceanview room (rm # 10) was wonderful, vaulted ceilings and a gorgeous view. Yes I did encounter a few tiny bugs that seemed to come from under the rim of the sink but after using a hairspray on them they never returned and hey, I am in the tropics so bugs are expected! Being on the bluff was maybe a ten minute walk from the main area and there was a hill ta walk up or down but it was never a problem, I am actually thankful for the hill since it most likely stopped me from gaining weight while eating all the delicious food. If you have a problem doing hills, (it really wasn't bad) there is a shuttle that runs costantly and often up and down the hill.
We had also read complaints regarding the food. It was really very good. Yes, the portions are on the smaller size but this allows you to have an appetizer, a main and dessert without feeling like a glutton. If you truly need to eat more then just order two mains. One evening I wanted the lamb but the veggies that came with the steak so I ordered both on recommendation of our lovely waiter David. I just gave my steak to my husband. David had also helped me out earlier in the week when I orderd dinner at Neptune's and wanted crab legs added to my plate...no problem!! We did eat at La Toc and although the food was still good I did enjoy the other restaurants more.I do recommend making reservations at La Toc and Kimonos the day you get there or you may not get in.
My husband went golfing four times while we were there and enjoyed himself, he found the narrow course challenging but fun and the views spectacular.
The beach at La Toc is definitely more rough than the Grande but we still played in the waves...just make sure you respect the ocean and the red flags or you will get injured as a poor man found out when he broke his leg. We went to the Grande for the day and the beach was nice and the water calm. The resort seemed nice but since we spent most of our time on the beach and only ate in the buffet restaurant I don't have much to comment on.
The people of St. Lucia are friendly and really seem to want you there. The resort really tries to help with anything you need.
We did the scuba diving intro course and loved it. I was nervous but the instructors were so attentive I immediately felt better.
We did the Son of Man tour and it was a great all day trip.
I would definitely suggest this resort and would go again if the chance arose.
Feel free to contact me with any questions!

12 Thank tashisme
North Port, Florida
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 March 2012

I will start this letter on a positive note. There are a handful of staff that need to be applauded. Without these people our vacation would have been a total disaster.

Moise- Mgr La Toc Restaurant. He is a true professional. Moise went out of his way to find us a wine that we could enjoy. The resort has a very nice wine list, but they don't keep it in stock. We waited over 40 minutes one night in Neptunes because every bottle we ordered was not available. Because of Moisse, we ate at La Toc two evenings in a row. Our best two meals of the trip.

Thierry- Trainer, Fitness. This man is an adept trainer. He understands the human body and mind. His yoga and pilates skills are to be commended. Thank God for Thierry because I spent 15 hours in or around the fitness area just trying to blow off steam.

Barney-Dive Master. Treated people with respect, took command of the dives. The only one on the boat who acted as though they wanted to be there. We cancelled our excursion so Pete could dive another day.

O'Neil, John-Pool Bar. These two gentlemen worked. Why a resort would have two bars open 12:30-2:30 and then only one from 2:30-5:00 is beyond me. So much for all inclusive. Try to get a drink! John and O'Neil never stopped, never complained, always smiled and joked. A true joy to be around if you could get close enough because people didn't leave the bar when they got a seat.

Gilbertha, Cathy-Spa. Made me feel relaxed and looking good. Their knowledge and skill level are exceptional. They stand out from the rest of the spa staff.

Now for the not so positive experience.

Dinner- I didn't expect to serve myself at the dinner hour. Having to get my own soup, salad and dessert is not my idea of a luxury vacation. This happened too many times during our stay and it was not appreciated. Breakfast and lunch were no problem, but please I don't go to buffets at home!

Drink Service-at 10am there were 3 to 4 staff members running drinks, but come 2pm when we might actually want something from the bar they were gone and the second bar was closed. On four different occasions I had servers take an order and never return with the drink. On Sunday morning I saw people having mimosa, so I went to get some for myself and Pete. The server scolded me for pouring myself, as I saw others do. I was embarrassed. She offered to bring them to us, but never did. Pete got up served us. The wine list is not up to date on a daily basis and the staff has no idea what is available. This is very frustrating. We were made to wait on more than one occasion.

Staff-Staff at the resort are arrogant and rude. They would look you in the eye and talk about you to another. I just don't understand. We were nothing but polite...please, thank you. We even tipped with cash trying to get better service. My husband and I are both self employed and we would be out of business if we acted this way to our clientele.

Lastly, we have friends who have been to Sandals in Jamaica and they were dumbstruck to hear of our plight. They have another vacation planned for this month. Ten days for $6500, five days with a suite and concierge service, the other five with butler service. We received nothing of the sort for $6200 and seven days.

We are so disappointed, our dream vacation was ruined. We will never be back and will do our best to let others know also.

Room Tip: get a room at the pool, nice view and first up to get a chair
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
5 Thank adinardo
Hampshire
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 March 2012

We have just come back from La Toc. We loved St Lucia and the beach at La Toc was lovely. We stayed in a Butler suite which was worth it as they make your restaurant bookings even for those that 'don't require a reservation" therefore asking sure you don't wait. The bar service was excellent everywhere and no sign of anyone needing to ever tip bar staff to get a drink, as mentioned in other reviews. The butlers also reserve sun loungers for you which is great. I think though if i wasn't in a butler suite I would find all this very annoying.

Although the resort was on a steep hill the mini bus goes up and down to the bluff constantly so never any need to walk. The restaurants were reasonably good, only one we didn't like was the Pitons. We enjoyed going to look at the other 2 resorts and being able to eat there. We liked Gordons and as in a butler suite didn't have to pay for it, however if you aren't in a butler suite then I wouldn't pay the steep cover charge. We liked the Halycon as small & quite but the Grande was to big and "glitzy" for us, looked a bit like miami instead of the Caribbean.

Overall service was excellent and we had a great time. 2 annoyances, on the last day our evening flight was delayed by 3 hours which we knew in the morning. Reception refused to change our transfer time and suggested a private car which we had to pay for, they also said we would have to pay to keep the room any longer. We then discovered that they did change the transfer time for the next couple that came along and let them stay in the room for no charge. We then had the annoyance of following them in our paid for car down the road in a minibus with only 2 people in.
Also I had read that white Zinfandel was included in the all inclusive package and when we arrived we found this not to be the case, in fact they didn't have any rose or blush in the resort at all. It also said in the information book in the room that this wine was included but apparently not any more. Also information on the website and then information in the resort books etc give all sorts of conflicting info which in the main didn't matter.

Room Tip: I would go for the cheapest type of Butler rooms.
3 Thank tripersareus
McPherson, Kansas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 March 2012

This was my first experience staying at sandals. Would love to do it again. I was attending a nieces wedding. The wedding was awesome. The resort was beautiful, rooms were nice, food was good, staff was superb. A special thank you to Michelle, Natalie, Sparkle, Abraham, Marquis and Victor for taking such good care of us. All 29 of us had a great time!!!

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank Christy G
Also consider these accommodations in or near Castries
17.4 km away
12.1 km away
Cap Maison
Cap Maison
#2 of 4 in Cap Estate

Been to Sandals Regency La Toc Golf Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK