We recently returned from our second trip (the first 7 years ago when our children were very young) and had as good a time this year as in 2005. Positives: the setting, the landscaping, lovely secluded bay, good 'safe' swimming, fun beach games like the floating trampoline and floating water slide. There are several pools to choose from if you want to avoid the gorgeous white sand. Sports facilities, quite busy during our UK half term visit, include waterski-ing, with lessons for children if booked the day before, hobie cat sailing, kayaking and pedaloes. The people were friendly - both staff and other guests - and we found ourselves chatting with plenty of both. Most were families with children ranging in age from 0 to 16. There is a kids' club which is well run which we used occasionally on our first visit.
The food: American-Caribbean style cuisine - with BBQ and grills featuring large on the menus of all five restaurants. The fish and meat we had was excellent. The only real disappointment was the Dragonfly dinner we had on Valentines night. The Upper Deck proved top of our list this time for its exquisite filet mignon. The fish - mostly Mahi-mahi, was deliciously fresh and cooked. The menu at Jammers was perfect for family suppers with a great bar too, and right by the beach. The view from the Papa Dons mediterranean style restaurant up the hill is gorgeous - get there before 7 or the sun will have set. Breakfast is at the Dragonfly by the main pool, which has a lovely verandah though is a little gloomy inside. On the bright side you can have the buffet every day of the week - eggs cooked in front of you, bacon and pastries piled high. The children were agog and had chocolate pancakes with muffins just to whet their appetites for the cooked brekkie afterwards.
The accommodation: villas and apartments across the whole site, linked by a winding narrow brick road and shuttle bus rides to the resort facilities. We were 'upgraded' to a 3 bedroom villa with plunge pool on the lower slope from the 2 room villa we'd booked. While providing the children with more privacy, we were told by other families we met that the villas up the hill were more modernised. Ours was tired, definitely, with no glazing in the living room/kitchen area. The lighting in the bathroom was decidedly temperamental and the plunge pool was in need of a good scrub to lose its liverish look. However, we were quite comfortable in our bedrooms with AC units and the outdoorsy feel to the living room was exotic and helped us acclimatise to the tropical climate. Another benefit of being lower down the hill was that we didn't need to depend on the shuttle bus. The view across the sea was lovely though our proximity to the beach meant we could hear the local Saturday night gatherings more clearly than we would have liked.
Overall, an excellent choice for the family holiday with lots of activities and a friendly atmosphere. Plenty of guests were there with kids and grandparents. You don't need to leave the resort, but if you do you'll soon discover you've picked one of the best on the island.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Windjammer Landing Villa Beach Resort & Spa in Saint Lucia, offers an unforgettable Caribbean vacation for families, honeymooners and couples. This exotic 60-acre full service resort is a panorama of picturesque, spacious and secluded hillside villas. With breathtaking views of the cobalt waters of the Caribbean Sea, this Mediterranean village resort is alive with the sights and sounds of beautiful Saint Lucia. Absorb the stunning beauty of nature at the Windjammer Landing. From dining on tropical fruits at sunrise to enjoying a refreshing cruise at sunset and only your choice of what to do in between. Richly appointed with the warmth of wood and an exotic blend of tropical furnishings, your spacious villa sets the mood for complete relaxation and truly your greatest escape. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, TripOnline SA, Hotels.com and HotelQuickly so you can book your Windjammer Landing Villa Beach Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Windjammer Landing Villa Beach Hotel Castries
- Windjammer Landing Hotel Beach
- Windjammer St Lucia
- Windjammer Landing Resort Beach
- Windjammer Landing St Lucia
- St Lucia Windjammer
- Windjammer Landing Villa Beach Resort St. Lucia/Castries