“Great with pockets of extreme unpleasantness” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hotel La Pagerie

Hotel La Pagerie
Ranked #1 of 11 Hotels in Trois-Ilets
Fairbanks, Alaska
“Great with pockets of extreme unpleasantness”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 August 2012

We stayed twice during our trip to Martinique at Hotel la Pagerie and have many good things to say about our stay, yet a few things that were concerning. First, the good things...
Upon arrival, the people at the front desk were incredibly nice, despite my shaky French. They were very busy when we arrived, yet managed to get us a room for one night. Without ever looking at information about the hotel in advance, we were not sure what to expect. Our room was very nice, especially for the price that we were paying (off-season rates). The room looked extremely clean and was well-decorated. The furniture was especially beautiful - it looked as if some of the wooden furniture was handmade. We enjoyed the shopping in the area as well as the proximity to many nice restaurants. We ended up staying for three nights during our first stay because we enjoyed it so much. During our second stay, we arrived to a room that did not have working air conditioning - however the staff worked quickly and politely (despite my lack of French vocabulary to communicate the technical issues we were having) and placed us in a different room right away.
The few downsides to the hotel were the parking and the rudeness of one staff member. Parking is, at times, extremely difficult to find on the streets that border the hotel. One night we could find no parking except for a spot that was reserved for taxis only. It appeared that many other cars (that were certainly not taxis) were parked in those spots, so we parked there and walked to the hotel. Upon arriving, I asked one of the staff members about whether or not we should try to move the car before morning. Coming from the United States, it had begun to appear that when it came to driving and parking there were not many laws (or if there were, they were not enforced). So, I did not know if leaving a car in a spot for taxis would truly be a problem. At first we spoke French and I asked if I should move our car. He asked where it was parked, so we walked to the entrance and I pointed towards where we parked. He said it would be better if I moved the car closer to the hotel. I nodded and said yes, OK. He looked at me and said "You don't understand?" I said that I do understand. He looked at me and then got frustrated and stated emphatically "No, you don't understand." So then, in English, I repeated back what he had advised in French to try to confirm that, yes, I understand. That was the first unfriendly encounter with him that we had. The night before our second stay at the hotel, we were trying to find a restaurant that was open (many of them seemed to be closed on Tuesday), so finally we decided to try the hotel restaurant for the first time as well as book our second stay. The woman at the front counter was extremely nice and recognized us from our first (recent) stay. She called the restaurant and asked if they could accommodate us, which they said they could. Once we got to the restaurant, the same man I had spoken with concerning our car was there. He did not seem very happy to see us. We noticed that very few people were at the restaurant and began to wonder if they were closing soon (it was 8:45 pm). Throughout our stay on the island at that point, no restaurant seemed to be serving dinner until at least 7, if not 8 pm - so we would not have guessed that the restaurant would be almost closing. The same (very unhappy) man took our order right away - we got three drinks including water, two appetizers, two entrees, and we ordered dessert all at the same time. He never brought us our water, did not ask how I wanted my steak cooked, did not bring a steak knife (leaving only a butter knife), hurriedly asked if I was done with my dinner when I was not quite halfway through, and brought a liquid with mushy bananas that at one point was ice cream for my boyfriend for dessert. Thankfully he charged much less for our dinners than it seemed like a normal dinner there was supposed to cost, however we both were left questioning what we did to make the man so angry. In spite of it all, we had been so hungry by the time we got there and appreciated them serving us even though it looked as though they had intended to close at 9 that I asked the man for some paper and a pen and wrote a note thanking them for serving us even though it was late. So in terms of service, we had a mix of excellent service from everyone else to absolutely rude and horrible service from one of their staff members.
I would come back to this hotel again, however I would not eat at the restaurant except at breakfast time. I would recommend this hotel for those looking for proximity to restaurants, very clean and reasonably priced accommodations, and (mostly) very friendly people.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
9 Thank Marie S
Laetitia B, Responsable réception at Hotel La Pagerie, responded to this review, 24 August 2012
Dear Madame, Dear Sir,

First of all, I want to thank you for this nice comment about hotel La Pagerie, It really help us to improve the service.
I really apologize for the lack of professionalism at the restaurant. It's really a shame and be sure that It won't happen anymore.
Let us know when you come back in Martinique, we will be very happy to welcome you again.

Best regards,

Laetitia BIRON
Front Office Manager
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
  • Polish first
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 July 2012

Just spend 2 weeks in Martinique at La Pagerie, hotels in Martinique are reknowned for a desapointment. From the moment I arrived until I left, It was nothing is too much trouble !I have never met such great team in Martinique! The new managment is serouisly chaking this hotel. The refurb program is amazing, the rooms are very confortable and great design.The new chef make you discorver one of the main attraction of the ilsand Le Cuisine Creole, amasing taste. In all I would say if you are looking for excellent service, great sleep, great food and FREE INTERNET !!! Well dont waist your money on over priced hotels and rude service in Martinique! I have there done that and burn the T-shirt !! lol Go to La pagerie in Les Trois Ilets ! ho i forgot ! The free show on Saturday night is so good!!

Room Tip: Refurb room !
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled solo
5 Thank FG74_12
, Responsable réception at Hotel La Pagerie, responded to this review, 6 July 2012
Dear Sir,

Thank you for your nice post on Hotel La Pagerie.
Tourism in changing in Martinique and we really do our best to prove it.

We hope to see you very soon there.

Best regards

Heidelberg, Germany
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 May 2012

We just spent a week in the Hotel La Pagerie in Martinique and it was great. Rooms are huge with a kitchenette, which is great if you want to cook in the evening.
I do not give 5/5 because of the location, which is not perfect. The beach nearby is not so good, but you will need a car anyway in Martinique and at least you have great places to eat nearby.
If I ever go back to Martinique I will go there again.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Pixxidix
Laetitia B, Responsable réception at Hotel La Pagerie, responded to this review, 18 May 2012
Dear Madam, Dear Sir,

We were very pleased to welcome you at Hotel La Pagerie and hope to see you again very soon.

Best Regards,

California, Maryland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 February 2012

Although we arrived very late, staff was exceptionally friendly and did their best to speak English. Our room was quiet, spacious, and spotless. The bed was very comfortable. The room included a kitchen with dishes and a dining-room table. A balcony overlooked the bakery next door, cafes, and small shops. The little commuter boat to Fort-de-France stopped just two blocks away, and a public beach was a short walk away. I could have stayed here all week. The breakfast buffet included boiled eggs, cereal, cheese, coconut jam, banana jam, baguettes, toast, yogurt, cheese. Little birds and lizards entertained diners on the patio. The cost of the breakfast buffet was $13 per person per day, so many vacationers bought their own breakfasts at the bakery next door. Next time, I'll do the same. Plenty of local fruits are available at the market in Fort de France, including many varieties of bananas. The only disappointment was that Empress Josephine's birthplace is nowhere near the hotel.

Room Tip: A room with a balcony overlooking the street provides good people watching.
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank WorldTraveler9
Laetitia B, Responsable réception at Hotel La Pagerie, responded to this review, 2 November 2012
Dear Madam, Dear Sir,

I really apologize for the late reply.
It's a pity for Empress Josephine birthplace, it's about 10' of driving. Next time, feel free to ask the front desk any information about the area.
I hope that you had an amazing stay in Martinique and that we'll have the pleasure to see you again in Hotel La Pagerie.

Front Office Manager.
Delaware
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 January 2012

We spent a night here after a mix up with another hotel and found it delightful. The rooms were simple, but the sheets crisp and white, the hot water was hot, the soap smelled lovely. At breakfast, croissants were fresh, the coffee strong, and the fruit delicious. Our children were delighted with the pool, and staff uniformly charming and helpful. Fun shops and restaurants nearby, the beach and ferry into Fort-de-France only a moment's walk away. I would happily stay there again.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with family
7 Thank WouldBeWanderer
Laetitia B, Responsable réception at Hotel La Pagerie, responded to this review, 24 January 2012
Dear madam, dear sir,

I am so glad that you spent a wonderful time with your family.
We hope to see you again in Martinique.

Best Regards,

Team of Hotel La Pagerie
Also consider these accommodations in or near Trois-Ilets
0.7 km away
9.0 km away
Diamant Beach
Diamant Beach
#1 of 5 in Le Diamant

Been to Hotel La Pagerie? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK