“A Good Place to Stay”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Isla de Vieques
Trade Winds Guesthouse
Ranked #14 of 32 Isla de Vieques B&B and Inns
New York City, New York
“A Good Place to Stay”
Reviewed 24 January 2012

I first stayed at TradeWinds MANY years ago after spending a horrendous night elsewhere on the island. Got up in the morning and looked elsewhere, ending up at TradeWinds, where the lackadaisical summer staff put us up.

If you're expecting pampered luxury, this is not the place for you. If you enjoy camping out, as I do, TradeWinds may seem like luxury. The rooms are a very comfortable step up from camping out. Don't expect TVs, phones, or luxury bathrooms. DO expect clean rooms and good AC. That's what you'll get. You might get the odd bug (this IS the tropics, and they're right outside).

My first experience at TradeWinds was good enough that I have revisited the place 6 or 7 times since, and I have enjoyed it every time, especially the service from the owners (Harry and Janet) and the regulars.

I understand that staffing the place in the off-season is a problem. That's true everywhere. I have been to several out-of-the-way places in the Caribbean off-season, and you will find restaurants closed and guest houses staffed by temporary ex-pats without much in the way of hospitality skills. This has been less of a problem at TradeWinds than elsewhere.

The rooms are very comfortable--if just to sleep in--and their breakfasts are a great way to start the day. Equally good marks for the restaurant and bar.

I have enjoyed every stay at Tradewinds and I look forward to my next stay.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled solo
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
Minneapolis, Minnesota, United States
Reviewed 17 January 2012

This is a very, very basic room. We had 2 rooms. One room didn't have an outlet. Both rooms didn't have a tv, no phone, no hairdryer. The closet is open to the bed area. The air conditioning did work. We slept on the ground level and for me seeing the geiko crawling up the outside wall was scary. It didn't come in the room but I was scared because there was a small opening in our door. The rooms were clean, the bed was terribly hard and uncomfortable. It was a place to sleep but there was a loud disturbance at night from a drunk hotel guest that woke everyone in the hotel up. The check out process the staff was very rude and not helpful.

Room Tip: Don't stay and that will be your best room. Or choose the room on the 2nd floor.
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled with friends

Travellers are raving about these Isla de Vieques hotels

Arlington, Virginia
Reviewed 14 January 2012

This is a very simple, basic place. Our room was clean; the beds were semi-comfortable (until my foam mattress slipped off the platform in the middle of the night). It was, essentially, a place to sleep. That is, except for the extraordinarily loud street noise the first night we were there; it was a holiday, and there was very loud bar music, combined with cars cruising back and forth with their stereos (bass) at full volume, until late at night. But the second night wasn't as loud.

The outside courtyard is a nice place to sit--much better than in the room. The complimentary breakfast is good.

It looks as though three or four older women run this hotel. A couple of them are pretty nice and friendly, although one is not friendly or personable at all; when I talked to her, I always felt that she was kind of pissed off at me just for being there.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 10 January 2012

We stayed at Tradewinds a few years ago, and we liked it enough to re-book there upon a return trip to Vieques. Unfortunately, Tradewinds is not as pleasant today as I remember a few years back, and the management doesn't appear to be putting much effort into the place. It wasn't horrible, but I believe you can find better accommodations in Esperanza at a similar price.

The good parts about Tradewinds are the location and price. These are still true, and many reviewers here have commented on them.

The unpleasant parts include the following:
1. Unhelpful staff, sometimes to the point of extreme rudeness. This is not universally true, and we had some very positive experiences with a couple of staff in both the office and restaurant. We had a couple of very negative experiences with office staff, including an extended issue at checkout making it difficult for us to catch our transportation off the island. There are a number of reviews here noting similar problems. Overall, I would say about half my contacts with staff were characterized by rudeness or mildly hostile indifference. This doesn't ruin a stay, but it certainly colors the experience and is unnecessary.

2. Poor maintenance. Our bathroom included a poorly-draining shower and noisily-leaking faucet. Given issues noted with staff, we didn't bother trying to get these corrected, so perhaps they might have been... but I was skeptical. The room wasn't dirty, but it wasn't particularly clean either.

3. Opaque policies on rooms. We had previously stayed in the lower level, whose rooms are very dark. I booked early and asked about a room on a higher level, and I was told those were not available to short-term guests. In talking with other guests there, this turned out not to be true.

My feelings on the restaurant are neutral. We had a nice meal there one night, and we were treated pretty well. Service was also remarkably slow (other tables were quite agitated), and staff didn't do much to mollify upset customers. It wasn't one of our favorite meals on Vieques by any stretch, and the prices are not particularly cheap.

Tradewinds has the air of a place that can get by because it's in a great location and doesn't have to try too hard. Well, Esperanza is fantastic; and Tradewinds has a great spot on the Malecon. But there are equally inexpensive places in town that seem to do a much better job in welcoming guests and providing well-maintained lodging. I wouldn't tell someone to avoid Tradewinds, but I would definitely recommend shopping around.

Room Tip: Our room, on the lowest level, was dark and cave-like, with noise from the restaurant kitchen. This...
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank ElCachorro
Berkeley, California
Reviewed 5 January 2012

This is an island / family run place from way back. And you feel 'way back' when you sit at bar waiting for someone in a Panama Hat to come in and ask about tea time. You feel like you are in a movie.

The food is good, the people real (which means if they have been hassled that night you will know it lol) and the setting is pretty darn nice.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled solo