“Beautiful, but not 5 star” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of W Retreat & Spa Vieques

W Retreat & Spa Vieques
Ranked #3 of 6 Hotels in Isla de Vieques
California City, California
“Beautiful, but not 5 star”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 May 2012

The W in Vieques is an amazing and beautiful property. The layout is excellent, both pools are wonderful and natural beauty abounds. Wild horses run free and Iguanas are easily spotted in trees. I would only caution that the hotel seems a little short staffed and they could use a manager with a sharper eye for details. For starters, the need to turn on some lights on that walkway to their outlying buildings. Guests used their own flashlights and cell phone apps to light their way. A pregnant woman tripped outside our building and fell during our stay. I tripped several times on the uneven walkway, which is beautiful, but not functional in the dark. To me it seemed incredible that a problem so obvious just went ignored which only signals larger problems in management.
Secondly, this place needs to be sprayed for bugs. I was eaten alive in the room and on the grounds. There are small bugs crawling all over our room. It also seemed to be a consistent topic of conversation with other guests at the pool. The service is on Island time, ordering is slow and awareness is low. it seems silly to complain about these few little things but it was a building of events that lead to an annoyance with my stay: waiting for my room in the lobby at check in (at 6pm), slow and non-existent "living room" lobby staff and a general unawareness of customer service.
I've stayed in great hotels around the world, and don't mind paying Four Season's pricing, (although $6 water does seem crazy for 8oz) but expect the staff to have that polish. I think this W's location is a blessing and a curse.... A blessing for beauty but not for attracting talent and polished workers who want to make the island their home full-time. My recommendation to the W is to stop responding on Trip Advisor that you have fixed the problems, and get out from behind your computer, walk over to the pool and ask a discovery question or two. I'm sure your guests would be happy to share.

Room Tip: Ask for the main buildings, the outlying units (12-17) are largely ignored.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank wanderlust5532139
NikoMN, Public Relations Manager at W Retreat & Spa Vieques, responded to this review, 17 May 2012
Hello,

Thanks for sharing your feedback. We do take the feedback seriously, and are addressing all of the items you mention. We make a point to speak with our guests about their experience, as our goal is to exceed the expectations of every guest.

W Vieques
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (495)
Long Beach, California
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 May 2012

What can we say, the location was incredible like that of Wailea, Maui, but the support and service from the staff and management was not acceptable. This is a diamond in the ruff hotel.
*While dining in the restaurant or at the pool, you had to ask many times to get anything and then when it arrived it was wrong.
* Most of the time in the resturante they were out of the items they had as a special on the menu and for drinks by the pool.
* Exterior lights were out all over the property and people had to use their personal cell phone lights to walk the property at night.
* They charged our credit card without our authorization 3 times before we checked out.
* Staff didn't show up for and early morning excursion. Always with an excuse!
* Extremely expensive for what you are getting.
* Most rooms the wifi didn't work and it took them days to move us, to a worse location.
* Many common areas were left uncleaned daily
* The staff loved to all gather in area's and talk and talk while guests were looking for service.
** I would recommend the W Exec. management team employ the management team at the Four Seasons so they understand what professional quality service is about at there prices.
* Rooms were around $ 450. a night with the added resort fee. This is not a $450. a night hotel.

Reminder the location views were incredible, the food in the dining room was good "when you got service." Again, this is a property that is a diamond in the ruff.

Room Tip: When making a reservation, make sure you they understand what ocean view means. You would have to go...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
3 Thank CatalinaMagic
Hello,

Thanks for sharing your feedback here on Trip Advisor. We are very concerned that your stay with us did not exceed your expectations. I’ve shared this feedback with our management teams and we are addressing each of the items you list.

Wesley Chapel, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 May 2012

We visited Vieques for 2 nights/3 days on our anniversary trip to Puerto Rico. We have family in San Juan so wanted to get away for a few days. The hotel was wonderful. They have their own lounge at the airport. Make sure to grab a few of the free sodas when you arrive, as they are very $$ at the hotel. They then pick you up and transport you to the hotel. The pictures do not do justice to the beauty of the building or property. Rooms are huge with balconies that overlook the ocean and pools. For a splurge, this was the best location we could have picked.

Room Tip: Ground floors have easier access than high floors, also ice is not on every level
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
Hello,

Thanks for sharing your feedback here on Trip Advisor. We’re happy to hear you had a wonderful time with us, and we hope to see you back in Vieques.

Warmest,

Boston
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 May 2012

I just returned from a three night stay at the W Retreat & Spa Vieques (4/42-4/27). I chose this hotel for a romantic retreat with my boyfriend to celebrate our anniversary after seeing it on TV, reading a story about it in Coastal Living, and reading numerous reviews.

Before I review the property I want to disclose two things. First, we arrived at the W after spending four nights at the St. Regis Bahia Beach in Rio Grande, PR for a work event. Maybe the St. Regis spoiled me, but the rooms and service at the W did not even come close to what we experienced at the St. Regis. And second, we had to wait in the San Juan airport for an hour, travel on a small Cessna, and then wait in the W lounge and take the W shuttle with a family that had two small children, one of which shrieked loudly the ENTIRE time. So when I arrived at the W my patience was shot.

However I think that any patient person, would still have had trouble with the room we were given. We had reserved a pool oasis room and were placed in room 911. We thought this room had a great view and there was a cozy looking hammock right near our front door. But, when we entered the room it smelled AWFUL. The only way I can describe it is that the smell was a mix between feces and mold. The shower also had a gross stale smell, as if it hadn't ever been cleaned. We called to complain and they sent someone who sprayed a bunch of air freshener which didn't mask the original smell, but just made it seem worse. We complained again and asked for a new room. We were quickly moved to room 515, which was better, but we later found out that the hot water wasn't really working. In total the things that weren't working in our room included: hot water, TV, handset for the phone, iPod dock (no power cord), and the sliding door (only entrance) had to be slammed each time to actually close. Our neighbors also had to slam their doors to close, which we could clearly hear from our room when we were trying to sleep. The W fixed some of the issues and some we just put up with.

Another challenge was working with the concierge. I had emailed concierge services prior to the trip to set up transportation to the biobay tour with Abe's and also to let them know that we were celebrating an anniversary and could they suggest some ways to celebrate on Vieques. Once we arrived they never acknowledged our anniversary celebration, which would have been a nice touch and the transportation turned into a fiasco with the concierge (not sure of his name but he was male, longer hair, shirt unbuttoned down to his navel) being incredibly snooty and rude. The transportation picked us up nearly 40 minutes after we were told to be ready and waiting in the lobby, and the driver told us that recently the W has given misinformation about the pick-up time to multiple guests, leaving them frustrated and thinking that they are going to miss a tour they already paid for. Two last negatives: we hated the eletronica music that was pumped everywhere on the property and we would not recommend the free yoga in the morning if you are used to American style yoga classes. The instructor says that American power yoga "is not real yoga". But we thought an hour and forty minutes of stretching was not the best way to spend our morning.

On a more positive note we did enjoy the pool, gym facilities, and private beach. I absolutely loved the decor, and we played chess and pool in the lobby area a few times before and after dinner, which was fun. We rented both bicycles and a jeep from Blackbeard Sports/AVIS on-site, which was convenient. The guy at Blackbeard forgot to give us a key to the bike lock though, so when we arrived in Isabel II for lunch we had to call and then track down their other store in town to get a new lock with a key. I also liked the food, although my boyfriend preferred to eat off-site.

And overall we really did love Vieques. It is a beautiful, unspoiled island, with beaches, great restaurants, and friendly residents. We spent a lot of time in Esperanza and recommend dinner at Next Course and Bili if you like fresh local seafood. Laid back bar scene at Duffy's was great too.

Bottom line is that we would recommend Vieques to anyone, but might caution them that this is not a hotel that meets the expectations one would normally have for a W.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank lmack1381
Hello,

Thanks for sharing your feedback here on Trip Advisor... We appreciate the good and the bad, as it helps us improve our service. I’m sorry the Pool Oasis room did not exceed your expectations and you had to deal with broken items and difficulty with the concierge. I’ve shared this feedback with our management teams to address with each department.

Warmest,

East Newark, New Jersey, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 May 2012

Took me a little while to get on here and post, but better late than never.

I stayed at the property from April 10th - 14th. W Retreat & Spa Vieques definitely puts the "W" in WOW!!! I love Starwood hotels and the W brand is my all time fav of all the brands, so to finally be able to stay at this property was such a pleasure. The property is clean, beautiful, spectacular, and the location is awesome. From the moment you arrive you get a sense and feel that everyone on property really cares about you and your needs. Everyone was attentive and quick to ask what my wish was? lol...I love it.

We arrived by boat late afternoon on April 10th and called to ask about the shuttle service. The W operator (forgot her name) was quick and efficient, she quickly dispatched the shuttle over to us. The driver was there in no time and quickly began to chat us up and give us details about the island as we drove back to the resort.

Once inside service only got better. I was quickly greeted by Front Desk Agent JJ Barrera and Welcome Desk Manager Wade Tobias. Wade and JJ were both extremely sweet and you could tell they both love what they do, which is awesome to see. They asnwered all questions & concerns me and anyone in my party had. Wade gave me and my partner the most awesome room (Room 924) and JJ went on to asign spectacular rooms to the other 2 parties I was with AND they also managed to keep us near one another as well which was GREAT and we didn't even ask. Walking into this room was really just "WoW"! The view from the room, the size, the location of it - I could not thank the guys at the welcome desk enough for this.

Everything moving forward after this continued to make us happy. Never did we receive any sort of disappointment. I'd like to also highlight some of the talent that provided exceptional service to me and my party while we were there - 1st Oscar the Dir. of Ops, Dave the operator, Josh (I beleive was his name) also an operator, Nancy the sweet lady who cleaned my room while we were there, bellman Pablo Cavallero (whom collected our bags when we were checking out on Sat. the 14th), Raul (also a bellmen) who was always attentive in the lobby whenever I walked by asking if I needed anything or making sure all was well. FD Manager Lindsay Kelsheimer was also beyond helpful and sweet (she assisted me with a credit card problem I encountered toward the end of my stay).She was patient and super accomodating. Three other team members who went above and beyond were Chris Oleas GM of Mix on the Beach & Ross in Convention Services. My party and I had some sort of miscommunication with the bar staying open late one night...so Ross was phoned by Chris and I had the pleasure of speaking with him, all in all between Ross & Chris they fixed the minor mishap and all was well, so a big thank you to those two. In addition the bartender who was on the night of April 12th (Arelis??? something along those lines - Chris would remember exactly who it was) was just great! And made the best drinks=-) I want more!!!! =-D

All in all the staff of this awesome resort is beyond great! I highly recommend this property as your 1st choice when trying to decide where to stay on Vieques. A hotel is only as good as it's team members...and I have to say this property is not only super clean, beautiful, and peaceful, but it's employees are just as beautiful and that makes this hotel that much better!!!!!

Wade, Lindsay, Chris & Ross thanks to you and your teams for making my week there as awesome & memorable as it turned out to be. And a special thanks to JJ (Front Desk) and Arelis (bartender - name not spelled right=-( ) for providing exceptional service to me and my guests. I am already planning my return trip.

Will=-)

Room Tip: The best rooms for me are those that face the main pool area.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
Hello,

Thanks for taking the time to share such a detailed trip report. We’re thrilled to hear you enjoyed yourself so much and our team went above and beyond. We’ll be sure to share this feedback with everyone you mention. We’re excited to welcome you back again soon!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Isla de Vieques
Hotel El Convento
Hotel El Convento
#2 of 46 in San Juan
4.5 of 5 bubbles 2,612 reviews

Been to W Retreat & Spa Vieques? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK