“One of the best Starwood Properties”

W Retreat & Spa Vieques
Ranked #2 of 6 Hotels in Isla de Vieques
East Newark, New Jersey, United States
“One of the best Starwood Properties”
Reviewed 1 May 2012

Took me a little while to get on here and post, but better late than never.

I stayed at the property from April 10th - 14th. W Retreat & Spa Vieques definitely puts the "W" in WOW!!! I love Starwood hotels and the W brand is my all time fav of all the brands, so to finally be able to stay at this property was such a pleasure. The property is clean, beautiful, spectacular, and the location is awesome. From the moment you arrive you get a sense and feel that everyone on property really cares about you and your needs. Everyone was attentive and quick to ask what my wish was? lol...I love it.

We arrived by boat late afternoon on April 10th and called to ask about the shuttle service. The W operator (forgot her name) was quick and efficient, she quickly dispatched the shuttle over to us. The driver was there in no time and quickly began to chat us up and give us details about the island as we drove back to the resort.

Once inside service only got better. I was quickly greeted by Front Desk Agent JJ Barrera and Welcome Desk Manager Wade Tobias. Wade and JJ were both extremely sweet and you could tell they both love what they do, which is awesome to see. They asnwered all questions & concerns me and anyone in my party had. Wade gave me and my partner the most awesome room (Room 924) and JJ went on to asign spectacular rooms to the other 2 parties I was with AND they also managed to keep us near one another as well which was GREAT and we didn't even ask. Walking into this room was really just "WoW"! The view from the room, the size, the location of it - I could not thank the guys at the welcome desk enough for this.

Everything moving forward after this continued to make us happy. Never did we receive any sort of disappointment. I'd like to also highlight some of the talent that provided exceptional service to me and my party while we were there - 1st Oscar the Dir. of Ops, Dave the operator, Josh (I beleive was his name) also an operator, Nancy the sweet lady who cleaned my room while we were there, bellman Pablo Cavallero (whom collected our bags when we were checking out on Sat. the 14th), Raul (also a bellmen) who was always attentive in the lobby whenever I walked by asking if I needed anything or making sure all was well. FD Manager Lindsay Kelsheimer was also beyond helpful and sweet (she assisted me with a credit card problem I encountered toward the end of my stay).She was patient and super accomodating. Three other team members who went above and beyond were Chris Oleas GM of Mix on the Beach & Ross in Convention Services. My party and I had some sort of miscommunication with the bar staying open late one night...so Ross was phoned by Chris and I had the pleasure of speaking with him, all in all between Ross & Chris they fixed the minor mishap and all was well, so a big thank you to those two. In addition the bartender who was on the night of April 12th (Arelis??? something along those lines - Chris would remember exactly who it was) was just great! And made the best drinks=-) I want more!!!! =-D

All in all the staff of this awesome resort is beyond great! I highly recommend this property as your 1st choice when trying to decide where to stay on Vieques. A hotel is only as good as it's team members...and I have to say this property is not only super clean, beautiful, and peaceful, but it's employees are just as beautiful and that makes this hotel that much better!!!!!

Wade, Lindsay, Chris & Ross thanks to you and your teams for making my week there as awesome & memorable as it turned out to be. And a special thanks to JJ (Front Desk) and Arelis (bartender - name not spelled right=-( ) for providing exceptional service to me and my guests. I am already planning my return trip.

Will=-)

Room Tip: The best rooms for me are those that face the main pool area.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
NikoMN, Public Relations Manager at W Retreat & Spa Vieques, responded to this review, 17 May 2012
Hello,

Thanks for taking the time to share such a detailed trip report. We’re thrilled to hear you enjoyed yourself so much and our team went above and beyond. We’ll be sure to share this feedback with everyone you mention. We’re excited to welcome you back again soon!

W Vieques
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (510)
Reviewed 30 April 2012 via mobile

My wife and I had a wonderful time at the W Vieques. The resort itself is so nicely done from top to bottom and it instantly relaxes you and helps he escape from everyday life. The views of the ocean are extraordinary. The staff is incredible. Of course, nobody is perfect. But, the staff gee does as nice of a job as one can reasonably expect. So genuinely friendly and accommodating. If I have to complain about one thing, I suppose it would be the room. We had a first floor pool suite. I've heard complaints here about the noise around the pool, but that never Realy bothered me. On first impression, the pool suites are incredibly romantic. But, over time, as something more han romanticism takes hold, he design of the rooms are quite impractical and border on annoying. Also, the walls are way too thin. You can hear absolutely every word (or other things) coming from your neighbor's rooms. Finally, they use some sort of air freshening scent in the room that gets into your bags and clothes and you will take it one with you. The upstairs of my home smells like the W right now!!

Still in all, it is one of the few places my wife and I agree is someplace we would go back. Overall, we recommend it highly.

Stayed April 2012
Hello,

Thanks for sharing your feedback. We’re happy to hear you had a wonderfully relaxing trip and enjoyed the W. I’m sorry the Pool Oasis rooms didn’t exceed your expectations, but we do hope you’ll come back again.

Boston, Massachusetts, United States
Reviewed 30 April 2012

Just got back from the W Hotel in Vieques and it was fantastic. Every aspect of the hotel is beautiful - from the lobby to the rooms to the pool area. The rooms were spacious, clean, and very comfortable. The affinity pool area was large enough to easily accommodate all of the guests and the staff here was very attentive and quick. We ate at The Living Room and Mix on the Beach. The food was excellent and the staff was great. All in all, one of my best vacations.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Julie K
Hello,

Thanks for sharing your feedback here on TripAdvisor. We’re happy to hear you had such a wonderful time. We hope to see you in Vieques again soon!

Wilmington
Reviewed 28 April 2012

This was my second visit to this property. The first time was Christmas with the entire family. This time just my husband and I made the trip to celebrate his birthday. From the time we checked in at the Welcome desk until we departed everyone was gracious, attentive and made us feel at home. The view from Villa 1 room125 is spectacular. Listening to the breaking waves at night and early morning was relaxing and soothing. The breakfast buffet was excellent and even if you arrived at the end of service the staff was accomodating.

Room Tip: Villas 1-3 are on the quiet side of the property and you just might see a wedding.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
Hello,

We’re thrilled to hear you had a great time on your second visit… we hope to see you in Vieques again soon!

San Francisco
Reviewed 27 April 2012

My husband and I had a great time on Vieques. I really can't imagine staying any where else on the island. The resort is beautiful. The rooms are nice, but not amazing. The service is ... decent. We just had some odd issues with service - like we arrived during a rainstorm at 3pm when our room should have been ready, but they left us in the lobby for 3 hours in order to "let the rain pass." Finally, we asked to go to our room and they walked us right around the corner, which was a little baffling. Not entirely sure why they just left us there. Probably wouldn't have bothered us any other day, except we had just traveled 9 hrs to get there from the west coast.
Like I said, there just things a little off -- service, house cleaning (always something missing), etc. And as someone else mentioned, there was a wedding one night we were there. The music blared so loud and we were attempting to catch up on sleep. No chance ... It is what it is --- just wanted to mention it.

For breakfast, we ate at the Cafe mostly, which I think is great that they have it. It's convenient and inexpensive for breakfast. ** they do run out of breakfast pastries, so you kinda have to go there early. Similar to beach chairs by the pool, they fill up pretty quickly. We never seemed to get there early enough to get a lounger right by the pool.

Mix on the Beach -- my husband and I loved it. Ate there for lunch before we left and dinner our first night. We thought the food was great (had the lobster paella) and priced comparable to El Quenepo.

We rented a jeep from Avis on the property and that worked out great. We also swam/snorkeled in the ocean at the hotel and saw fish.

** Lastly, we flew on Cape Air and Vieques Air. Vieques Air was half the price flying to Isla Grande, but we did get charged a $40 luggage fee, but still cheaper so check it out.

Another nice touch was the free drink they offered at 5:30. Oh, and without a doubt the best pina colada - delicious with the rum floater.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
Hello,
Thanks for sharing your feedback here with the Trip Advisor community. I’m happy to hear you loved the W, but am sorry you experienced some service mishaps. We hope you can visit us again for another Pina Colada!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Isla de Vieques
77.3 km away
Hotel El Convento
Hotel El Convento
#2 of 48 in San Juan

Been to W Retreat & Spa Vieques? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK