See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 8 May 2011

We stayed at Jajome Terrace Wednesday night to Saturday morning in early May 2011. We really enjoyed our stay here and if you're a low maintenance traveler I would definitely recommend it. It's a good, clean room with beautiful views at a good price, and its location on the island let us explore the central mountains between Cayey and Jayuya as well as hit some beaches in Boqueron and Luquillo. And Jajome is just an exit or two away from Guavate if you want to visit the lechoneras (which you should!)

I can imagine this place isn't for everyone, though, so here's a rundown of things that stuck out to me that I thought might be relevant for those trying to decide whether or not to stay here:

* Rooms were clean, beds were comfortable, and there was hot water - so the basics are there for a good price. The water pressure in the shower was a little low, or maybe it was just the type of showerhead used - in a regular hotel this would bother me but in a guest house in the mountains of Puerto Rico, no biggie.

* We were the only ones there. Sara and her family stay at a house farther back on the property, I believe, so we were completely alone in the main building. We really enjoyed this, but:
(a) one night we came home and no one was around and the main doors were locked. It took us a bit to figure out how we could get to the back of the building and up to our room. If you go, figure out the back way during the day - much easier.
(b) additional guests showed up Friday night. We weren't aware anyone was coming and it kind of startled us to hear footsteps late at night (we were already asleep, but admittedly we were usually asleep by 10 pm, so it may not have been that late). If you plan to be there over the weekend be aware others might arrive later in the evening.

* We were in touch with Sara ahead of time to let her know when we'd be arriving. However, we ended up being early and she wasn't there yet, so we had to wait about half an hour. We knew from the other reviews that this was a possibility - just a reminder that if you're expecting 24 hour service, this isn't the place for you.

* Our room (#5), and I think at least 4 others (maybe all of them?), face the main road. It's not terribly busy or loud, but I'm a light sleeper and a few times during the night I was jolted awake by a loud motorcycle or truck going by. (My boyfriend didn't hear a thing, though.)

* No TV or phones, but free wifi, which was useful for looking up directions or sights to visit on our smartphone.

* If you're OK with fast food you'll be fine eating in Cayey. If not, be aware there are limited food options nearby. Most places are closed by 7 during the week, so get some food early. You probably will have better luck on the weekends. Sarah had warned us about this ahead of time so on our way there the first night we stocked up on some snacks and got a little cooler with some ice and beer. There isn't a lot to do at night in general, and you probably don't want to be driving those windy roads too much after dark, but if some beer, a deck of cards, and a nice night in the mountains sounds like a good time to you, you'll be fine.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank patdc99
Reviewed 8 May 2011

This is a beautiful hotel. We only stayed one night and really wished we had planned to stay for a few days. The room was great and the location is absolutely beautiful, with wonderful views. Sara is very welcoming and helpful. We will absolutely go back. Plan to stay for a few days if you can!

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank haddockgreg
Reviewed 4 April 2011

We stayed one night March 21, 2011. We called from the Ruta Panoramica the same day and they opened up just for us to stay one night. Mainly a wedding and weekend location, but they seem happy to accommodate the weekday traveler. The owner texted us to confirm our arrival time. It did take a few minutes for them to come down and open the gate, but this is the norm at most places we stayed. We were the ONLY guests and found the room already stocked with ice. 10 rooms with mountain views. Two beds, a table and chairs. Could have used a little more light in the room. No TV. No phone. We didn't care about internet. Private balcony with an amazing view clear to the Southern Coast. The grounds are breathtakingly landscaped. Truly beautiful. Breakfast in the morning was fruit, juice, coffee, yogurt and toast. We spent almost an hour talking with the Owner's Daughter, Sarah. She was very helpful and full of local information and suggestions. This was a perfect overnight stop for us on the Ruta. Hassle free and pleasant.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank LeahWade
Reviewed 13 March 2011

My partner and I stayed the night at Jajome Terrace in March.
Though we may have been the only people staying, due to the fact they have a lot of weddings held here in the season. We really enjoyed the peaceful setting on the Ruta panoramic. They have absolutely stunning gardens with beautiful flowers, tree ferns, humming birds and singing coqui frogs.
I watched a lovely sunset on our balcony overlooking the lush hills of the forest. The Ruta Panoramic wasn't for us, but it was a lovely stop off and good to see another part of Puerto Rico.

• Stayed: March 2011
4  Thank Pryan20
Reviewed 16 July 2010

When I first heard that I was staying here with a colleague for a work trip, I was hesitant. I wasn't sure I'd like a place that had no phones, clocks, t.v.'s nor radios in the rooms. I thought I'd be bored. I was sadly mistaken! This place is unlike anywhere else I've ever stayed. To put it simply, Jajome Terrace is beautiful. It is quiet, peaceful and tranquil. Upon returning to my room each evening, I opened a cerveza and headed to my private balcony to watch the sun set over the southern coast and ocean while being serenaded by the thousands of tree frogs. I stayed out there well after darkness had taken over the island.

Each morning I was greeted to beautiful sunrises over misted jungle topped mountains and a lovely continental breakfast of toast with homemade jam and orange juice. Not much, but it was so good! If you can, buy a papaya and the owner’s wife and/or daughter will serve it up nice for you for breakfast! The meal is served on the lower terrace in an open air location with views of the jungle. There is a nice boardwalk through the jungle covered grounds at the hotel with waterfalls and fountains too.

On some mornings, I’d take a jog along the road to the east and south that held more spectacular views of the southern coast. The staff is extremely friendly and helpful. I wish the restaurant was still in business though! The rooms were clean, nice and smelled fresh. I had room #4. I would and will stay here again. I am totally sold on the unique experience that the Jajome Terrace offers while in Puerto Rico. I can stay at a busy resort style hotel anywhere. This place offers something truly unique and genuine.

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled on business