“Clean and Comfortable Hotel”

Embassy Suites by Hilton Dorado del Mar Beach Resort
Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Dorado
Kingsford, Michigan
“Clean and Comfortable Hotel”
Reviewed 17 April 2012

The check-in was easy and timely, the resturant and bar staff was friendly and the food was very good at both the in hotel resturant and accross the drive at the chophouse/oriental grill. The rooms were nice for the price. The pullout couch bed was not very comfy but it was a standard mattress. Managers receptions, that we made it to, served rail but drinks were good and plentiful. Our view was great as we could see both the ocean and some of the golf course. The course t-boxes and fairways could have used watering, however we lost enough balls in the water hazards argh.

The only think I would have added was more activity. It would have been nice to have group water areobics or some poolside activities. They had music on weekend but otherwise not much to do after dinner and the area didnt seem to have too much happening.

Room Tip: We stayed on the East side and the view was great. The sun came up about 6:20 but the drapes kept it...
1 Thank Rene B
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (228)
Bristol, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 10 April 2012

Beautiful resort, great value and terrific service all in one. This was my first trip to Puerto Rico and I booked in Dorado to be near to my husband's family (he's from the Dorado area). We were bowled over by the warmth and helpfulness of the entire staff. Everyone spoke perfect English (which was a concern for me, not my husband!). The valet staff (even though we didn't use the service) were super friendly and very helpful with places to go, etc. We didn't meet one staffer of the hotel who wasn't very warm and friendly. It elevated the luxuriousness of our stay tremendously. The room was big, clean and comfortable. My daughter even said the sofa bed was very comfy. The breakfast was fantastic and the Manager's reception every evening was a nice way to end your day and begin your night out! The pool and beach areas were phenomenal. The breakers made the private beach your own private lagoon. The waves (when there were waves) were very small, which made it the perfect beach for kayaking and paddle boating. The only negative I can think of, and it was minor, was the hotel restaurant. We ate there the first night as we arrived sort of late. The food was pricey, the selection was small and everything was extremely over-salted. Service was great, and the drinks were mighty fine! Lunch at the outdoor bar and grill was a different story....reasonably priced and very good food. Overall I would highly recommend this hotel. I am already planning a return next year and have every intention of spending more of my time enjoying the resort amenities and less time sight seeing!

Room Tip: I would recommend a high floor if you are a light sleeper and staying on a weekend. There was live...
2 Thank quinellax
msemprit, General Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Dorado del Mar Beach Resort, responded to this review, 11 May 2012
Dear Didn't Want to Leave Guest:

The comments you made on our Resort and Team put a HUGE smile to my face.

It was especially rewarding to know that this was your first trip to Puerto Rico and that we met and even exceeded your expectations.

Regarding the experience at the Restaurant, we are presently reviewing all of our menus and making changes in order to make sure that all expectations are met.

We look forward to your return back to Puerto Rico and our Embassy Suites Dorado del Mar Resort.

Tampa, Florida
Reviewed 9 April 2012

We stayed at the Embassy Suites in Dorado back in November 2009. This was our second trip to Puerto Rico and I have to say that I was very disappointed with the Embassy Suites. My in-laws are Marriott Timeshare owners and they decided to stay at the Embassy Suites because we would have kitchen areas to prepare our meals in.

The first issue is the location of the Embassy. Because it is on a large property it is almost a mile walk to get to the main street. A car is necessary to get around everywhere. We really enjoyed taking walks at night and walking to the local restaurants during our first stay. This was not possible at the Embassy.

The beach at the resort is absolutely awful. I am from Florida so maybe I have higher beach standards than others do? The beach itself is small and there are not many spots to lay down a towel. It is nearly impossible to swim in the ocean unless you are a skilled swimmer. During rough currents you are smashed onto rocks. Because the beach is terrible everyone goes to the pool and the seats are all taken by lunch. Go to the pool early or be prepared to not get a lawn chair.

During our trip I got a rash all over my body. I don't know if I had an allergic reaction with jacuzzi outside or the fabric detergent on our sheets, but needless to say I spent the majority of my trip taking benadryl and misserable.

Room Tip: Stay at the hotel instead of the suites.
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled with family
5 Thank Michelle M
It is so disappointing for us to read reviews where guest weren't satisfied as apparently you weren't.

I do apologize for the rash on your body or allergic reaction during your stay and hope that you felt better upon your return to your home. It is important for me to clarify that all of our linen fall within the allergy free (Green Products) line of linen as well as all other products that we utilize to service your suite.

Considering that our Resort is approximately a mile and a half from the main road, a car is recommended if one doesn't wish to rely on the 24 hour/7days a week taxi service.

As you mentioned, the Beach is public and although our Team work hard to keep it clean and organized as much as possible, we depend on the support and cleaning crew of the Municipality of Dorado that unfortunately aren't always available.

I hope that although you had these inconveniences, that you did find our Team to be accommodating and offering their attention to detail.

Take care and have a great year.

Washington DC
Reviewed 9 April 2012

My family and I stayed at this hotel for 5 nights in April 2012. I thought the hotel was solid, but not amazing. I liked the pool area very much and I certainly thought the hotel was a good value for what we paid ($161 plus tax and $20 resort fee). We stayed in a one bedroom suite with a living room area, which we liked because we were travelling with my young son. I was very pleased that when we arrived at our room, the crib we requested online was there waiting for us. We were also allowed to check-in a few hours early, which was a nice bonus. As with all Embassy Suites, all of the rooms face out towards the lobby into an open atrium. It looks nice enough, but there is so much noise between all of the floors and the lobby. For this reason, my son who was sleeping in the parlor, did not sleep well for the entire duration of our trip. The lighting in the parlor was poor but I did like the bedroom, particularly since it had a balcony. We had a lovely view of the golf course, though it also overlooked the parking garage and front entrance.

I didn't care for the parking garage situation at all. It was a little bit of a walk from the hotel and it was always busy in there at night, presumably because of the casino at the hotel. Driving to the hotel was also a little bit of a process because there are so many speed bumps between the main resort gate and the hotel. Any time I wanted to leave the hotel, I really thought twice about it. However, I would never recommend staying at this hotel without a car because there isn't much to eat at the hotel. There are lots of great options in Dorado (I liked La Terraza) but you absolutely need a car to get to all of them. There is also a Walgreens, a CVS and a grocery store (very reasonably priced) just outside of the report limits. I highly recommend Yougen Fruz (frozen yogurt place), right next to the Walgreens. So good!

The hotel comes with free breakfast, which was good but insanely busy. It was challenging to find a table at 8:30am, so I recommend going down for breakfast early if you can manage it. One morning it appeared to be absolute bedlam and even the hotel staff (who are surely used to the breakfast rush) seemed to be caught off guard with the volume of people showing up all at once.

The managers reception was also a nice tough with free drinks and a few light snacks. The in-room internet ("complimentary" as part of your $20 resort fee) was strong. I ate twice at the pool bar and both times I did not like the food at all. My husband had the Cuban sandwich however and he loved it. I thought the hotel staff overall was good and everyone was friendly and helpful.

For day trips to local beaches, I recommend the Playa de Cerro Gordo and the Playa Mar Chiquita. And Old San Juan is a must!

1 Thank cjb11711
msemprit, General Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Dorado del Mar Beach Resort, responded to this review, 10 May 2012
I was so pleased to read your heading, "good value" regarding your stay with us at the Embassy Suites Dorado del Mar Beach & Golf Resort.

Thank you for pointing out that the crib that you requested for your Son was in your suite as it is truly important to ensure our Children's comfort. I do apologize that he wasn't able to sleep too well because of the noise from the Lobby Bar. With the Atrium set up the music from the Bar will travel and unfortunately can be disturbing for children napping. The added bonus as you say with the early check in is our honor and one that we try and accommodate as long as our occupancy allows us.

Your other concern was the distance from the multi level garage which we are trying to assist our guest with our Security Team making more rounds on the golf cart in order to offer rides back and forth. I am sorry if this wasn't available during you stay.

The detailed review is not only appreciated but definitely an excellent tool for others. I especially felt proud with your comment on our Team which I will share with them.

Thank you again for posting your review and we look forward to your return back to our Island and our Resort.

We are at your services.

San Juan, Puerto Rico
Reviewed 8 April 2012

Just arriving back from 3 nights stay with husband and 2 teenagers. Breakfast buffet and evening recepction with free unlimited drinks were very good. Pool area a little bit crowded but we enjoyed it. The room was spacious and clean, staff very helpful. The beach is small and the bottom is full of weeds, not good experience. The public beach Cerro Gordo is about 15 minutes by car and it was not crowded and had security/police so we enjoyed it. We rested a lot. You need a car to stay here. Food is expensive but there are several options around but you need a car. Room has microwave. Walgreens and Cvs also nearby. Live music on weekend nights.

• Stayed April 2012
2 Thank rvbolorin
Hello and thank you for posting your review on tripadvisor.com regarding your most recent stay with us.

I haven't been on the site for almost a week and was happy to see the responses on our team and how much fun our guest have had at our Resort.

Thank you for choosing our Resort and we truly look forward to welcoming you back soon. We are at your services.

787-278-7001
Also consider these accommodations in or near Dorado
20.9 km away
21.6 km away
San Juan Marriott Resort & Stellaris Casino
21.2 km away
La Concha Renaissance San Juan Resort

Been to Embassy Suites by Hilton Dorado del Mar Beach Resort? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK