“One night in Mayaguez, PR”

Holiday Inn Mayaquez & Tropical Casino
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Mayaguez
“One night in Mayaguez, PR”
Reviewed 11 April 2012

The hotel is an older Holiday Inn but is well maintained. The room was clean and quite except for the AC unit. It was noisy. We upgraded to an Executive room and it was worth the money but still was small. The front desk staff was polite and effective. Good hotel and grounds security. The only thing that should be added to enhance security is an in-room safe. I have stayed at all the chain hotels in Mayaguez PR and this is the best one for the value. We didn’t eat in the restaurant and the casino was closed due to be Good Friday.
We would stay there again.

Room Tip: You get what you pay for but ifyou want to pay more and travel further for a better hotel go to the...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank NavyAllan
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Mayaquez & Tropical Casino, responded to this review, 21 May 2012
NavyAllan,

Thank you for your comments, and recent stay. I am pleased to see you enjoyed your time with us. We appreciate the candid feedback we receive and welcome any opportunity to improve. We hope to have the honor of serving you again in the future.

Ben J
IHG Care
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
New York City
Reviewed 10 April 2012

We have been traveling to Añasco to visit my Dad for years and we have stayed at this hotel many times with no problem. We went to visit my dad and had a reservation for 8 days, my dad had a stroke and he passed away Palm Sunday, we had a wake in Añasco but my dad always wanted to be buried in Caguas where my mom is buried. When we informed the hotel we would not use the last 2 days of our reservation because we would be in the other side of the island, we were shocked to find out they do not reimburse you for the days not used, not even if there is a death in the family. Expedia would not fight our case for us, but they gave us a credit to use in any future travel. We are so disgusted with what happened to us, never again will we stay at this hotel when we go to visit our family. The hotel managers we spoke to were very rude even after knowing the situation we were in. If we wanted to cancel for any other reason I would not complain, but a death in the family? they have no shame.

Room Tip: Higher rooms will not have internet access.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank CityGirl94
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Mayaquez & Tropical Casino, responded to this review, 23 May 2012
Dear CityGirl94,

First of all, thank you very much for your recent stay with us. I am so sorry to see you did not enjoy your overall experience with us. We’d like to obtain some additional detail regarding your experience so we have sent you a private message.

We hope to have the honor of serving you again should your travels bring you back to Mayaguez.

Jaime W
Case Manager
IHGCare
Reference # 27697653
Reviewed 15 March 2012

I only stayed at the hotel room to sleep, but it was a fantastic experience. The room was great and the bathroom was extremely clean. The people was very friendly and informative. The breakfast buffet was delicious. I look forward to staying there again. Keep up the good work!

Room Tip: Check TRIP ADVISOR to read some review about the selected location.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank Profesora5
Blandford, Massachusetts
Reviewed 8 February 2012

We had a two night reservation while traveling between Ponce and Isla Verdi. The desk clerk was very helpful. They had already upgraded us because of platnum priority clup status, but he went one step further and upgraded us again to a two room suite. Very nice. The room did have a slight musty odor to it. I have come to expect that in this climate. I think the hotels in this area exist for the sake of the casinos. I am not much of a gambler so we spent the afternoon getting to know the area. We traveled to Rincon beach, Rincon light house, and Sandy Beach. None of which were very impressive. In fact we decided that we were wasting vacation time on this end of the island. We decided to add a night to our next reservation at the Intercontinental, and leave Mayaguez early. I booked this hotel with points and thought I would rather loose them than the day wasted with little to do. I talked to the desk clerk and let them know that we would not need the room for the next night and they were very pleasant about it. They even suggested that if I called Priority Club that I might be able to get the points credited back to my account. I did call and it worked out fine. The points for the next night were credited back to my account. Overall the hotel is nice enough. If you are entertained by gambling this would be a good place to stay. If you like the beach, don't waste time with anything but the north east end of Puerto Rico.

Room Tip: Room 400 is a nice two room suite. I would imagine that is also true for 500 and 600. Be nice to the...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Sandsculptureman
Lewisburg, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 6 January 2012

This property is another example of what the Holiday Inn chain has accomplished in recent years. In addition to adding numerous new properties to their inventory, they have invested a great deal into updating old ones......refreshing or selling worn out properties. I've been staying in Holiday Inns since the 60s when they were all new.......and have watched them "die" and then "come back to life". This property in Mayaguez is probably a good example of their renewal program. From the outside the building looks like an old Soviet era apartment building. We had been looking for a place to stay for the night in Western Puerto Rico .....we looked at a few island-chain and local independent properties and were uninspired.....so went ahead and depended on experience over hope and booked this hotel. Once inside, a sort of dread was replaced with a bit of a "wow". The building design is old....but the lobby has a fresh and clean look, notwithstanding its juxtaposition with a casino....not a plus in my view. The front desk staff were very friendly, promptly announced that we had been upgraded to a Suite......instructed me on free parking, internet use (good high speed by the way), complimentary breakfast, etc and we were on our way to a fifth floor one bedroom suite. The elevator was clean.....the carpets in the hallways appeared to be new and the hallways looked fresh. In this case I wasn't interested in any recreation or views......I was interested in a comfortable room. Flat screen TVs, hot water.......spacious quarters......nice work area.....very efficient AC (newer incremental units)......despite an obviously older design of building this chain has made the best of what they have and turned it into a good value hotel. There is a very nice and reasonably priced restaurant in the ground floor......we had a very good dinner, nicely prepared and served at a very reasonable price which added to our sense of value. This hotel delivers a very good product at a very competitive price. If you're looking for a safe, clean, comfortable lodging for a night, this is a good choice in Mayaguez.

Room Tip: Ask for a high floor to escape the casino noise/crowd.
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Roy P
Also consider these accommodations in or near Mayaguez
2.1 km away
Aquarius Vacation Club
#1 of 5 in Boqueron
59.4 km away
Holiday Inn Ponce & Tropical Casino

Been to Holiday Inn Mayaquez & Tropical Casino? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK