“Very good value.”
Review of Hotel Colonial

Hotel Colonial
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Mayaguez
Reviewed 31 December 2011

Very good for the price (we paid $75 per room). Great location if you want to be in the city, just a block from the plaza. Old hotel, so it looks a bit tired but at least it's clean. Road noise was loud, I'd ask for a room that doesn't face the road next time. It took several minutes of running the shower until hot water came, but it did. We had rooms 2 and 4, the latter had a much better looking bathroom with newer tile, the other one needed updating ASAP. Overall satisfied, great value if all you need is a bed for the night.

• Stayed: December 2011
7  Thank Ernesto R
heribertorosas, Owner at Hotel Colonial, responded to this reviewResponded 24 July 2012

After viewing your review I proceeded to add two new solar water heaters and room number two's bathroom was completely remodeled. Thanks a lot for your review. Heriberto Rosas

Reviewed 1 December 2011

Everything I read in previous reviews is true. I stayed in a single room 2 nights for $53 per night. This was probably the smallest hotel room I've ever had. It is an old building, with some modest upgrades. The WIFI worked good sometimes, other times no. There was a TV but don't think I used it. My room was on street side and was noisy, but the a/c unit muffled the street noise okay when left in the "low cool" position. No elevator, very small breakfast provided in the small breakfast room. Nice parking lot in the rear, but I didn't use it, they have security camera on the street in front also. Everyone super nice at the hotel. The town is very cute. Everyone should stay a few days at the Colonial, for a change.

Room Tip: Get a non-streetside room if possible.
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled solo
6  Thank ronbonbfhon

Thank you for your input. We have included more items to the continental breakfast menu. It includes white and integral bread, croisants, cookies, dry cereals, butter, jellies, coffee, orange juice, milk and chocolate milk. I changed our internet provider so our guests can have a better free WiFi service. Thanks again.

Reviewed 1 November 2011

We paid $70 for a double room. Nothing particuarly exciting about it, but was the best value for money anywhere near (we were driving from Ponce). Room was clean and had cable tv, also had a fridge.

Approx 5-6 car parking spaces round back, so felt safe leaving the car there.

Room Tip: Recommend the bakery round the corner, very tasty and great value.
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled with friends
5  Thank Elliot H
Reviewed 13 October 2011

This hotel was reccomended to me by a co-worker. I was only staying for one night and i am not a very demanding person and for the price I paid which was about 70$ plus taxes, I did not expect much. I arrived during the night and the front desk clerk was really nice, his name started with an A, I am soo bad with names!. But only one problem, I had booked two rooms (i went with my boyfriend and my sister with her husband) and neither of them had hot water. I was a little bit mad since that is the least you should expect from a hotel, it sucks showering with cold water during the night! I went to the front desk and told him about our problem and he said that we should not worry, that when we arrive from going out the water would be boiling.... To my surprise, when I decided to take a shower the next day during the morning, we still did not have any hot water. At that moment I was very pissed and at the moment of ckeck out the guy that was in the front desk, which is an elder man with glasses, I explained to him the situation and asked him if there was anything we could do, he just said no and was very rude, and was talking to me as if I was lying, I felt really bad and he groaned like if he was saying "oh whatever". Bad experience.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
4  Thank gitanamundo

Sorry you had this bad experience. Since that we had upgraded with additional solar water heaters and replaced the heaters element which we found out where not working during your stay. Again, sorry for your dissapointed experience. Heriberto Rosas

Reviewed 30 September 2011

I learned of this hotel from Tripadvisor. It was exactly what I had read: inexpensive simple lodging in a convenient location in town. My room was like a dormitory room (small) with a bathroom that included a shower. The price was less than $60 and I only needed one night. It was a place to go to sleep and it was just fine. The breakfast in the morning was reasonable for the price: coffee, cereal, some kind of cookie (or bisquit?), toast. Enough to get you going. And as recommended, I tried the nearby bakery mentioned in someone else's review and that was a nice treat.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled on business
2  Thank ChicagoMedicineMan
Also consider these accommodations in or near Mayaguez
4.7 km away
18.6 km away
Villa Cofresi Hotel
Villa Cofresi Hotel
#1 of 7 in Rincon

Been to Hotel Colonial? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK