La Concha Renaissance San Juan Resort
US$ 225
US$ 187
  • Pool
The Gallery Inn(San Juan)
US$ 175
US$ 158
US$ 395
US$ 263
  • Pool
Tres Palmas Inn(San Juan)(Great Value!)
US$ 124
Hotels.com
US$ 392
US$ 315
  • Pool
CasaBlanca Hotel(San Juan)(Great Value!)
US$ 147
Hotwire.com
  • Restaurant
The Dreamcatcher(San Juan)(Great Value!)
US$ 176
Travelocity
US$ 413
US$ 401
7,853 results
All reviewssuite towerfelix perezadult poolocean viewlobby barnew towerbeautiful resortla concha renaissanceslidersmain poolchairs and umbrellasgreat beachconcierge deskresort feefitness centercondado areasolera
Reviewed 2 July 2008

I'm currently staying at this property, so I thought that I'd take a few minutes and share my experience. It's really been a mixed bag. In some areas La Concha met and even exceeded my expectations, but in others it came up short. First it’s on the beach in San Juan. Honestly, the beach here is not that great to me; I'm not a big fan of brown sand beaches, but I suppose that is a matter of personal taste. I will say that the beach looked pretty clean and well maintained. The neighborhood does not seem that great to me either. - Vaguely seedy to my eyes, although it does look better at night. There is a good deal of construction going on in the area right now (including a new La Concha Casino and Suites building going up right next door. Also be aware of the extra charges: $26.85 per night resort fee, there's also a room tax...oh, you want to actually stay in your room?...and there's also an occupancy tax. My room itself was decent; medium size, but big enough for my needs. On the plus side, it's got a full wall window with a view of the beach and ocean, and it’s got an excellent bathroom and shower. On the minus side there are significant stains on the carpet. On the plus side they have complimentary internet; both wired and Wi-Fi, and that's an area where a lot of "luxury" hotels continue to gouge their guests. On the minus side, the Wi-Fi didn't actually work for 3 of the 4 days I was here, at least not in my room. The wired connection did work, but there was spotty connectivity in the evenings on several occasions. The BIG issue (and it’s been posted in other reviews is the noise problem. This is caused by the fact that the hallways leading to the rooms are open to the outside. This means that anything going on in the street (or more importantly in the park next to the hotel, where they have concerts on weekends) can feel free to come right on in. Also exacerbating the issue is the fact that the door to the room has like a 1/4 inch gap all the way around. I'm on the 9th floor and the noise was a significant issue on Saturday and Sunday night. On the other hand, on the plus side they have one, if not the, best fitness centers that I've seen at a hotel.
On other points of interest, we didn't eat at any of restaurants, with the exception of the breakfast buffet at Level 25, which I thought was not a bad value. We had a few drinks at the bar, but I can't speak to the prices since I didn't pick up the tab. Other restaurants in the area are fine, although a little pricey for what you get (I suspect that this whole beach area is gringoland). The pools are great, with lots of couches and chairs all around. The staff was fine. With the exception of one day when housekeeping missed making up my room, no problems. All in all, an average experience; not terrible, but not anything to write home about either. I booked through the hotel website at their internet rate, which was about 179, which is not exorbitant for the area and class of hotel. I'm here on business so I'll expense everything, anyway.

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank PlainVanilla
LaConchaResort, General Manager at La Concha Renaissance San Juan Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 20 July 2008

We appreciate you taking the time from your business trip to review the hotel and are pleased that on the whole you seemd to have enjoyed your experience with us. I did want to point out that the taxes you mentioned are government taxes and are standard at all the hotels. We hope you will visit us again when you are in San Juan again on business.
Regards,
Eddie Sipple, General Manager

Reviewed 27 June 2008

Just returned from Lan Concha today and figured that I better write my review before I forgot everything. Well, this was my first time to Puerto Rico and was there with about 60 family and freinds for a Family reunion trip. Our group ages ran from infants up to grandmothers. First off, the hotel itself was very nice. It was trendy in a Miami South Beach sort of way. My husband and I travel often and have been all over the world. We normally stay in HIlton or Marriott properties and are accustomed to well appointed amenities and service. The service here was good. We never felt like we were overlooked. We spent lots of time lounging at the pool in front and the waitresses kept our drinks full and made sure that we didnt need anything. Be aware that you will spend lots and lots of money eating and drinking in San Juan unless you dont mind Subway and Wendys which are right up the street on Ashford. I do have a few recommendations for eating and entertainment.

Eating:
1. J Taste: in Old San Juan was delicious. They have a full sushi bar and a full menu fr those in your party who dont eat sushi. There were 6 of us at dinner and everyone enjoyed their food.

2. Dragonfly: right around the corner in Old San Juan. Try the rock shrimp tacos!

3. Columbos: a cheap spot for breakfast, right up the street from the hotel just past the Gucci store.

4. The kiosks at Luquillo Beach: They taste much better than they look. This was the best and cheapest authentic food we had the whole time we were there.

5. Newyorican Cafe(sp?) : Dancing..in Old San Juan.This spot was good for dancind with other people over 25.

6. La Concha lobby, El San Juan lobby or Condado Plaza and Casino were hot spots from Wed to Sat late night (after 11pm) People were dressed to the nines. Luckily I had packed my mini dress and heels.

7. Request a room on the top floor. Our room 1211 had a full balcony, oceanfront so we were able to sit outside and watch the ocean it was great. Other floors just have little walkouts or nothing at all.

8. DO NOT LET YOU CHILDREN INTO THE WATER ALONE!!!
A member of our group (25 YEARS OLD AND 6 FEET TALL) was swept away by the rip tide while playing a game af football along the shore. There is a strong undertow and the floor drops abruptly about 20 feet out. he was literally floating out to see until the guy who puts the umbrellas in the sand grabbed a ring and jumped off the breaker wall to save him. They were in the water floating for 8 minutes before the police and some hotel workers came to help him out of the water. He had to be taken to the hospital. There are NO LIFEGUARDS ON THE BEACH>>>BE AWARE!

9. There is lots of noise from the construction next door and we could hear everything starting t about 7am during the week.

10. El Yungue:Easy to find by car. The lady at the Hertz desk in the lobby has directions. We did the shortest trail which is La Mina and even though it was .7 miles it seemed like a million. I would not have missed it and it was worth the work of hiking to see it. You dont need to pay the $3 at the visitor center. The trail heads are fairly well marked. You will see people parked at the trailheads as you ride up the mountain

We found that many of the nightspots did not card so there were many young (under 18) people trying to drink and party with you. I am a teacher (and over 30) and partying with this age group was not to appealing for me. All in all it was nice to visit but I do not think that I woul return for a pleasure trip. I have loads of pictures, will add later.

• Stayed: June 2008
3  Thank rodneytbond007
Reviewed 16 June 2008

I stayed at the hotel June 6/6-6/8/08. I had read most of the reviews on the website stating that it was loud on the weekends but we travel to san juan often for R & R and wanted to give the new kid on the block a try. First off the hotel is beautiful. The pools are small but the beach is nice. The staff is very friendly, especially by caribbean standards (I live in the caribbean). The rooms are very large, we stayed in an ocean view room and it was completely gorgeous.

But I have to say I was completely shocked by how loud the music really was on the weekends. It is a resort with almost all the expected resort amenites (I believe they are building a spa) and they charge resort fees. How can management justify charging these rates when you cant get to sleep until the party in the lobby/pool stops??

The hotel is built in a U shape. You walk into the lobby, which opens onto the pool with the pool rooms on the left (street) and the ocean view on the right. So the music is amplified like a mini arena.

I want to stay at the hotel again, the rooms were that nice, but with the noise level I will probably go back to the El San Juan or Hilton in isla verde.

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled with friends
1  Thank ChantelleSTX
Reviewed 12 June 2008

I flew into Puerto Rico for a fun weekend with 30-something friends. I HIGHLY recommend that if you stay here, you pick an oceanfront higher-level floor, as far away from the pool/lobby area as possible. It tended to be very noisy with the band/muisc on the weekend for my friends, who stayed on the 3rd floor. I didn't have a problem up on the 10th.

The room itself was beautiful, very chic with a flat-screen plasma tv, ipod doc, great bed, and great rain shower (no tub) that was lighted by blue leds. The only balconies were on the third floor, above the pool. It appeared that a lot of locals that knew each other were lounging at the pool, and the cabana girl/waitress always went to them for drinks, but I didn't get a visit once. I would suggest the breakfast special package, which includes the $20 buffet, which was very good. Overall, however, drinks at the bar were pricey ($10 including all the tax) for a diet and bacardi or cosmo, and service was not that great...unless you are a rich-looking businessman. The guy buying me drinks got continuous service, but me alone took a wait (and I do tip!) :)

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled with friends
2  Thank melissastx
LaConchaResort, General Manager at La Concha Renaissance San Juan Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 18 June 2008

Thank you for taking the time to reflect on your stay at the hotel. Our mission is to make La Concha an exceptional luxury experience for travelers, and comments such as yours will help us to achieve that goal.
Regards,
Eddie Sipple, General Manager

Reviewed 12 June 2008

We just returned from a four night stay at La Concha and it was wonderful. The service and helpfulness from everyone we came in contact with was excellent. Perhaps we are less needy than earlier reviewers but compared to other hotels on other islands, this one is the best so far. The ocean and beach views from our room was stunning! Our room was large, clean and well-furnished. We weren't in the room much until late afternoon but it was always cleaned by 2PM. This hotel has a very active night life and there are crowds of locals in the lobby and outdoor pool area most every night. One day, the beach pool was closed at noon to build a dance platform for that night's party, preventing us paying guests from using it, which angered us a bit. On a positive note, the music, which definitely could be heard in our room, ended by 10PM. We only ate one meal in the hotel because we're a bit budget-conscious and the food and drink prices are resort-priced! $14 for a hamburger, fries and a 6oz cup of Coke, which they would not refill without charging again, was too much. Fortunately, there are many excellent restaurants within walking distance that are reasonably priced. There is also a Walgreen's a couple blocks away where we could get snacks and water. Speaking of water, the ice and tap water in the hotel is safe to drink but tastes bad. Keep in mind anything you leave in your room is subject to "review" by the cleaning staff. We had some leftover food disappear which we were planning to eat the next night. We complained and were reimbursed by the hotel but we still had to get replacement food. After a long, hot day, that was a hassle. The safe in the room is large and ours was well used! We did not need or want a rental car. The bellstand and concierge gave us excellent instructions on how to take the bus to Old San Juan and water ferry to Bacardi. We had an occasion to call Housekeeping because they neglected to replenish some necessary bathroom supplies (TP). Within 5 minutes they were simultaneously knocking on the door with a fresh supply and calling on the phone to followup. It can't get better than that! We were very pleased with this hotel and will definitely stay again.

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)