“A good choice” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #23 of 46 Hotels in San Juan
Bristol, United Kingdom
“A good choice”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 June 2012

This hotel is a good choice in Old San Juan. I visit PR regularly and this is a new favorite. It's conveniently located across the street from 2 parking garages on the south east edge of town and is very close to the south east area restaurants (Plaza Colon, Calle Fortaleza). My room was on the back side of the building (facing Calle Tetuan, not Calle Recinto Sur), which is a relatively quiet street for Old San Juan. I am a light sleeper so wore earplugs anyway (which are insufficient at some other locations... ie, Da'House Hotel). The room is very tastefully decorated and comfortable. The a/c fan isn't obnoxiously loud. There is a nice little balcony. The shower has good water pressure and a rain head. Hairdryer good too. Comfy bed. The price is reasonable for Old San Juan. A word of caution, all hotels in San Juan area either charge a $25 "resort fee" or a $25 "location fee" that is not included in any advertised price. This is not the fault of this hotel. It is a Puerto Rico thing. Yes, it sucks, but that's what it is. Breakfast was not up to snuff. It was continental. Ok, fine, but they served me a plate of small bites of sweet pastries with butter and jam. Um, no. I don't do sweet stuff for breakfast except fruit (there was no fruit). The coffee was good as was the orange juice. I had the beverages and returned the food untouched (politely) then went to nearby Caficultura for oatmeal with fruit and another coffee (A+). The hotel staff was professional and mostly very nice. The young woman I checked in with was polite and professional but cold and unfriendly. Another young woman who served breakfast was very sweet and friendly, though.

Room Tip: Get one on the back (north) side (facing Calle Tetuan). Rooms 11 and 12 on 3rd floor, for example.
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled on business
5 Thank granite_girl
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (106)
Dallas, Texas, United States
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 June 2012

For only 1 night in Viejo San Juan, this hotel is quaint and in the middle of it all. My grandma and I stayed at Cervantes the night we arrived on the island before meeting up with the rest of our family the next day.
We were glad to have a nice place to stay that was only a $23 ride from the airport. After checking in, dropping off our luggage and changing into something suitable for dinner, the hotel staff were able to recommend a delicious spot to grab something to eat.
The room was smaller than I expected, considering the price of the room but we only needed it for one night and all we did was sleep. The shower was refreshing and clean. The hotel is on a busy street and after a long day of traveling all I wanted was some quiet. Unfortunately, there was lots of noise throughout the night which made it difficult to embark on my slumber and I did wake up a few times.
Carlos, the waiter in the hotel restaurant, treated us during a contintental breakfast the following morning. We devoured delicious sweet breads, pastries and cafe con leche. After walking through the plaza, we came back to the restaurant for lunch. The presentation was immaculate; gorgeous flowers and classy table settings. We enjoyed fresh, home made bread, a fresh salad and a dessert including basil ice cream. Carlos was friendly, attentive and a valuable resource of the island.
A week later, we stopped through Viejo San Juan one more time to get lunch before heading back to the airport. I ran into Carlos who remembered my Grandma and I and was able to recommend another spot-on restaurant for my last lunch on the island.

Room Tip: Request a room off the street to avoid noisy late nighters.
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Jenine C
San Antonio, Texas, USA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 May 2012

My wife and I had the privilege of staying there this past May 20th and 21st. Our room was very roomy, very clean, and the bathroom was excellent. There was plenty of hot water and the continental breakfast was also very good. I also would like to give special recognition to a couple of hotel employees that were simply wonderful towards us: Yuri and Jummilys. These ladies were most helpful in answering our numerous questions and always offered a kind smile. In fact if they lived in Texas I would offer them jobs with my company.

Room Tip: Good location but be prepared for some outside noise since some rooms are on the street side of the...
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
CervantesprGM, Front Office Manager at Cervantes, responded to this review, 25 July 2012
Thank you for taking the time out of your schedule to write to us. We are more than proud to know that your experience was satisfying. Our goal is to not only meet the needs of each and every guest we serve, but to exceed your expectations to make your stay as pleasant and comfortable as yours. Our staff is trained to provide the best service and is a pleasure to read such positive comments from our members.

Again, Thank You and it would be a pleasure to have the opportunity to serve you again.

If its anything that I can assist you dont hesitate to contact me directly at 787-724-7722

Sincerily,

Albania Caamaño
Austin, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2012

I stayed in the Chateau Cervantes in late May of 2012. It was a pristine experience. The room was very well put together in design and thoughtfulness of the guest. An extremely comfortable bed, an incredible bathroom, and my favorite was the giant french doors that overlooked the street below.

I stayed on the 3rd floor in room 12. It was a perfect size room for one or two travelers. Not a huge room, but not small either. It had a flat screen TV, and nice closet, and they had the lights dimmed when I arrived which gave it a very calm presence.

I will definitely go back there again. I used Kayak.com and got the room for $118.00. The only thing that caught me off guard was the $25 location fee as I checked out. But, they won me over with everything else!

• Stayed May 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank Bacspinner

Again, Thank You and we hope to have the opportunity to serve you again.

Sincerily,

Albania Caamaño
NY
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 May 2012

We stayed here for the first week of our honeymoon. We were very excited to be staying in such a great location & the room looked beautiful! When we arrived check in went very smooth. All of the staff we encountered were exceptional. They were nice & went out of their way to great us & make us feel welcome. We had booked the king 1 bedroom with the balcony overlooking...the parking garage. ;) We knew this going in. It's Old San Juan, you're not going to have the best views in most of the hotels. When we got to the room I immediately thought of a review I had read on tripadvisor before leaving. In that review they had talked about booking the same king 1-bed with balcony, but were given a full bed room with one tiny window. Well, the exact same thing happened to us. We booked the king suite but were given a full room. The room was very nicely decorated but no king bed, no separate living room & no balcony. Instead... one full size bed, a couch in the same room & one very small window to the side of the bed. This was not even close to the room we had booked & saw on the website! So my husband went down to complain & ask for the room we booked & were paying for. They told him they'd look into it & get back to us. About 25 minutes later there was a knock at our door & we were escorted to the room we had booked & seen pictures of on the website. Much better! They had champagne & a fruit plate in our original wrong room so they moved that for us. The room is gorgeous. High ceilings, beautifully decorated, just gorgeous. The bathroom is very nice with a large steam shower. However the steam shower function didn't work & we never had a hot shower from start to finish our entire stay. The hot water would come & go throughout the shower. We then realized if we ran the sink's hot water the shower would have hot water, but it would be incredibly hot & there was no cooling it down. That was a big disappointment. Also, we were only given two towels each day which was disappointing as well. There was no alarm clock or any type of clock in the room & the phones were not working our entire stay...they weren't even in the rooms! The internet worked very well thankfully. Now onto the noise. I had read about the street noise & thought it wouldn't bother us. We've stayed in city rooms before & we're pretty heavy sleepers. This street noise was intense! Multiple nights we would wake up to the noise...a car laying on the horn...a drunk singing & yelling... police siren...a car blasting its stereo. Just a lot of noise. After a night or two we got used to it, but it is a lot & all of the time. There is also a "bodies exhibit" across the street at the base of the parking garage so in the mornings we'd awake to large school trips yelling & shouting waiting to enter the exhibit. The beds are amazing though! You're not going to want to get out of bed! The location of the resort is amazing too! You can walk everywhere. We even walked to a small beach to swim in one afternoon. Many amazing restaurants just around the block & one really great one right on our street ("Raices Restaurant"-try the mofongo dishes!!!) Felt very safe the entire time. There are a lot of pan handlers though. Maybe our issues were out of the ordinary, but it was a little much. Our stay could have been amazing but just fell short. If we return to Old San Juan we would most likely stay somewhere else...which I'm very sad to say.

Room Tip: Earplugs! Make sure you get the room you booked!
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple