“No AIR CONDITIONING in rooms”
Review of S.J. Suites

S.J. Suites
Ranked #45 of 48 Hotels in San Juan
Reviewed 19 November 2012

Booked this hotel for one night post cruise so we could spend a day visiting Old San Juan. Looked at the reviews for the hotel. Knew no frills, but really? What a shock!
No phone in room. No clock. No water glasses. No temp control in room. Looked in hall and found a temp control, tried turning the one that wasn't locked down. Either A/C didn't work or was non existant.
Our travel clock has temp. reading and room hovered between 84 - 82 degrees. Called front desk from my cell phone and the desk clerk said he would "come and adjust". Never worked. Could the hotel at least put ceiling fans in the rooms? This is San Juan after all. Could not imagine staying here during "hot" season.
Carpet filthy, and comforter was stained.
Up for this hotel, staff was great, public area very nice, bathroom clean. Staff very helpful in places to visit and how to get around and stored luggage until check in.
Location great, everything in Old San Juan 10 minute walk.
We left the hotel and went to airport 4 hours before our flight since we couldn't sleep in the hot room.
Would not stay here again.

Room Tip: Junior suite does not have window!
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 15 November 2012

I really love to stay in different types of hotels when I travel so this one fit perfectly. This is the first hotel I stayed in where the lobby was actually on the second floor and the lobby itself was just the walk in, the elevator and the stairs. The hotel itself is located between two other buildings which means that most likely there is no window in your room just like mine, but the friend I was traveling with did have one in hers. While we arrived quite early (11AM) the very friendly clerk at the desk told me that my room was ready and I was allowed to gain access to it fairly quickly.

The room itself is more like a bedroom. My room had a big bed and a couch along with a flat screen television that was hanging from the wall. The tv was connected to direct tv and when turned on found there were only about 20 channels that were active. The bathroom was a decent size and two things I must mention because they always get high marks for this are really soft towels and toilet paper. The hotel also provided Breck's shampoo/conditioner and two different types of soap. I did not use their shampoo but I liked the soap. The only down side to a room without a window is that it does indeed get and stay very dark, but on the upside without the sun coming in and noise from below you don't find many interruptions. It's worth mentioning that the key that you get not only opens the front door to the hotel, but also the gate that sits at the end of the hall after you get off the elevator.

San Juan is an incredibly expensive place to visit these days so staying in this hotel which is priced far below some of the others that are located within a few blocks.

I would definitely stay in this hotel again next time I am in San Juan. Since I don't travel to places like this to spend much time in the room, the lack of a window does not bother me.

Room Tip: The back rooms do have windows but it's really only good for letting in light, the view is nothi...
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank StacyFromNJ
Reviewed 25 October 2012

We stayed overnight in March 2011 prior to a cruise departure. We were pleasantly surprised. I wanted to stay in Old San Juan and I happy we did. The hotel doesn't have any amenities--but the price was more than reasonable, too. The rooms were HUGE. Our's didn't have a window-but we knew this when we booked. The clerk/manager was very helpful and told us some great local places to go for cocktails and food. If you're looking for fancy--this isn't the place for you. However, if you're looking for a great location in the heart of Old San Juan with a large clean room, you won't be disappointed if you stay here.

Room Tip: Great location and value.
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank JodifromJackson
Reviewed 18 October 2012

We had booked this hotel for a 1 night stay along with 2 other couples prior to a cruise.

The hotel was ok for a nights stay if you are not too picky. I would not stay too much longer than a day or 2 at the most! It was a small hotel in the middle of Old San Juan. The staff was pleasant & very helpful. The rooms were clean although they had no windows because there are buildings built right next to each other. It does have air conditioning. When we got to our room it was warm & the ac was not on in our room. We went to the front desk & told them & they came right up turned it on. There are televisions in the rooms that have Direct TV.
There are showers that are clean & linens. They also offer coffee in the morning in the front lobby.

Room Tip: All rooms are about the same
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Fran M
Reviewed 14 October 2012

We stayed here one night pre cruise and it was great, excellent rooms and service, close to everything. Desk clerk was very helpful. Very easy walk to Carnival cruise terminal and all old san juan attractions

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple