All reviews hot water dream hotel puerto rico train and bus mini fridge cable tv old san juan metropolitan area enjoyed my stay stayed nights airport pr cruise universidad ac taxis caribbean
Reviewed 14 May 2012

After a week-long cruise, we opted to spend a few extra days in San Juan. We had booked the Dreams Hotel based on the reviews of others on TripAdvisor. Our first clue should have been that our taxi driver had never heard of the hotel and had to ask another taxi driver who only knew the general area of the hotel.  Our room was on the third floor (no elevator for those this may impact). There were no lights that we could find in the stairways. The hotel looks like it used to be a set of apartments that were cheaply renovated into hotels; I say this cause the first half of our "room" looks like it used to be a patio that they installed windows in to enclose it. As soon as we got in the room, I needed to use the restroom. It took me several minutes to locate the light switch because it was halfway down the BEDROOM wall - not near the door. Then, the toilet seat would not stay up. I had to hold it open to sit down. When I went to flush the toilet would not flush. Since they do not provide shampoo, we had to go get some. On our way out we advised them our toilet would not flush  Fun note, the key we were given must have been the only key since we had to give it to them to fix the toilet; the door lock was a cheap exterior door lock that any novice could have picked in no time. When we came back they said it was fixed; however, I cannot verify this because we decided to leave and find other accommodations. The bedding was very old and clearly worn. The room just did not meet our definition of clean nor did it appear adequately sanitary. The only good thing I can say is the owner did offer to call us a taxi after refusing to give any sort of refund quoting policy.  There must be two Dreams hotels in San Juan because the other reviews here DO NOT match the hotel we saw.  STAY AWAY!!! There was so much more wrong but we didn't want to write a novel. Enjoy!!!

Room Tip: Pick another hotel!!!
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
13  Thank rpd709
Reviewed 7 May 2012

I really like this hotel. It is very clean, located in a university district of San Juan, close to good amenities, (restaurants, Walgreen's to pick up last minute items) and able to be reached from the airport via public transportation should you choose (.75 cents vs. $20.00 for what is essentially a 10 minute ride Take the #40 bus from the airport and get off at the University of San Juan Tower stop, you are two blocks from the hotel.). Most importantly, it resides in a gentrified neighborhood of San Juan were you can find grad students walking their kids in the evening. The husband and wife could not have been nicer or more helpful. They picked me up from the bus stop as it was raining when I arrived and made sure that I knew where the subway station was when I left. I took public transportation from the hotel to the pan am cruise pier (possible because I only had 1 bag). Be aware that there is no elevator, however there is always someone who is there to assist you and the two times I needed assistance the individual refused the tips I offered.

If you are looking for the Caribbean beach vacation hotel with a wide expanse of beach and palm trees, this is not the place. If however, you are looking for a hip, inexpensive location where you can safely walk in the evening, listen to the guys downstairs root for their favorite soccer team and get to the Pan Am Cruise pier without taking a cab, this hotel is an excellent choice. I plan to return.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled solo
14  Thank thecurious1
Reviewed 5 May 2012

oh what a lovely two night stay we had....my boyfriend and I was looking for a a cheap, clean, and comfortable hotel on trip advisor..after weeks of searching we found Dreams Hotel and the pictures, prices and reviews cought my eyes..we stayed here on my birthday weekend and loved it..our first day we went shopping all day and we came the Dreams hotel, took a shower (although our shower was very very small) and watched t.v until we fell alseep, the next day we asked the front desk to arrange a taxi to another great mall and she did (she was very helpful, and gave us great direction)..even though this was jus a resting place for us..on my next visit i would diff. stay here...loved it

Room Tip: room have cold AC..push out glass widows..and resturants right next door
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Sissy l
Reviewed 4 May 2012

Arrived on a Sunday, and Elena was right there to take care of us. This is our fifth and final night here, but we will be back. The place is very clean and the staff great. Great location with everything you need within a few minutes. Very pleased. Great job guys !

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank DrewH80
Reviewed 2 May 2012

Elena is sooo sweet!! She was extremely helpful from the time we stepped out of our cab to the second we got back in one (that she called for us) to leave. The rooms were VERY clean and well maintained...for the price you'll pay, this place is amazing!

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank Shanee_H12
Elena P, Manager at Dreams Hotel Puerto Rico, responded to this reviewResponded 13 August 2015

Thanks for the time spend for this review.
We are an small, budget, clean hotel in the real Puerto Rico. The guest and the environment are very important to us. Guest like you makes a difference.
We hope to see you in a nearly future.
Hugs