New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Review of Casa Condado Hotel

Casa Condado Hotel
Ranked #31 of 46 Hotels in San Juan
Illinois
“Pay the extra to stay somewhere else”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 January 2012

I read a review that said the place was simple elegance. Anyone who would call this elegance is nuts. It is BARE BONES MINIMUM. I have stayed at hostels with more. No clock, no phone (if you need the front desk walk down and see them). My wife and I wanted to use the bathroom to get ready to go out -- we had to put our stuff on the floor -- no room for anything - if it does not fit on the top of the toilet it goes on the floor -- Come on guys a $10 shelf in the bathroom would make a difference. No closet - no drawers -- live out of your suitcase.
All this might be fine -- but don't expect service. I am sixty years old. The young person at the desk watch me lug three large suitcases up the stairs with a smile on her face -- not a "can I help you" -- not a "someone can bring those up later." Breakfast ran out of plates and napkins -- no one was there to monitor the breakfast -- had to find someone to ask for a napkin. Worst coffee I have ever tasted. On check out, the clerk was eating -- seemed like an imposition to put down her food to check me out. Not a thank you - have a nice day - nothing. Seemed like they didn't give a dam if you ever came back. And I won't. Really guys a smile and a kind word cost you nothing.
Aweful.

Room Tip: Rooms on the first floor are right outside the breakfast area -- if you waant to sleep past 7AM don...
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled solo
5 Thank IllinoisProf
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (63)
Miami, Florida
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 January 2012

What an idiot, I am. I booked this hotel for vacation and didn't properly investigate. The photos aren't inaccurate, but it is VERY bare bones. I thought I didn't need something nice, since we'd just be sleeping there. BUT - beware. I felt like Cindarella in a cell. There is NO life, NO atmosphere, NO charm, NO privacy.

The rooms are stark. There are no plants in the common areas, no people - nothing.

We immediately left and found something more in line with our tastes.

I must say - the front desk staff is lovely, concerned, but sadly there is nothing they can do.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Robert C
Tampa, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 December 2011

Great location, walking distance to bars, restaurants and the beach. Clean, comfortable, modern and staff was friendly and helpful. We also go to check in early, which was a great plus. I would definitely stay here again. Continental breakfast was also a perk for the reasonably priced room.
One complaint I had read before booking the room was that there wasn't an elevator. If this is something that would bother you, you may want to request a room on one of the lower floors. We didn't have a lot of luggage, so it wasn't an issue at all.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with friends
2 Thank Lynn M
Washougal, Washington
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 December 2011

My husband and I stayed at this hotel by chance. We missed our flight home so we had to look for a cheap hotel for one night that had an open room. After looking at several ratings online we decided to go with Casa Condado. Since it only got about a 3 start rating, we weren't expecting much. We just needed a place to stay for one night. I will say we were pleasantly surprised! Although the amenities are very basic or minimal, the room was quite large and spacious. We had just spent two nights at the over priced Numero Uno, and we actually like Casa Condado better. The rooms at Casa were much larger than those at Uno. The bed was comfortable, the rooms were clean, they had hot water, free WiFi, cable TV, AC, and a good complimentary breakfast. The girl at the front desk was nice and helpful. We did not have dinner in their restaurant so I don't know how the food is. But their breakfast offered a variety of cereals, fruit, toast, eggs, coffee, and juice. I think they had a parking garage, but you had to pay to park there. So we just found a free parking spot along the street close by. It is not on the beach, but it is within walking distance to the beach and many of the shops and restaurants in Condado. It is not the fanciest hotel, and could probably use a little TLC as all buildings need in PR due to the salty air. But it was very reasonably priced at $88/night (including taxes). I would say that it's downfall is that all the rooms are upstairs and there is no elevator. Kind of unusual for a building that has 4 floors. We were on the 3rd floor and we had to carry all our bags up several flights of stairs. So unless there is someone at the hotel available to help, I wouldn't recommend this place to the elderly or disabled unless you can get a room on the second floor. They don't have any rooms on the first floor, as it's just the hotel lobby and the restaurant down there. If you are just spending one or two nights in San Juan, I would recommend this place as a simple and reasonably priced place to stay. I know that we would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 December 2011

We stayed at casa condado for 3 nights. Perfect stay in the middle of san Juan condado district. Claudia from the reception was super friendly and helpful. There is delicious sushi in the same house. We can highly recommend this place. Prices are very reasonable and rooms are big and.clean. The beach is just a 2 minute walk.

• Stayed December 2011