“!!!BEWARE!!! This hotel does not guarantee your reservation!”

Acacia Boutique Hotel
Ranked #32 of 47 Hotels in San Juan
Reviewed 27 August 2012

Booked this hotel for 3 nights through a major US travel site. Reservation confirmed at booking, again 2 weeks later by travel site and then by me by email about a week prior to arrival. Was told at check in that I had a 1 night reservation at Acacia and the other 2 would be at the sister hotel. I had my paperwork with me which clearly showed my reservation paid in full for 3 nights. There was no fine print that stated they may substitute hotels. Acacia said they often overbook and they felt that was acceptable as long as they have rooms available at the sister property. I was also told I had to check out of Acacia at 11 and could not get my room at Wind Chimes until check in at 2:00 or pay a late check out fee. This was during T.S. Isaac in the pouring rain when I had my 6 year old son with me. After several calls from Orbitz to the hotel, they did agree to let me stay in my room until the other room was ready but they never did honor my reservation at Acacia for the other 2 nights. I paid for an ocean view with balcony and got none of that at Wind Chimes. There were other posts with people having this same issue but I disregarded them thinking it would not happen to me since I booked through a travel site. Wrong! Please take my advice and save yourself the headache. There are plenty of nice options down the street. Book another hotel instead of this one!

Room Tip: Avoid this hotel altogether. Save yourself a headache and book somewhere else.
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
12  Thank PuraVidaSTL
CSiegel, Director/Guest Service at Acacia Boutique Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 29 August 2012

First of all, I would like to thank you for taking the time to write a review for our hotel. I am very familiar with your stay and let me assure you we do our very best to accomodate every guest and their requests. You made a comment that you booked a "Ocean View w/ Balcony" which in fact is not true. The reservation you made (nine days prior not the 3 to 4 weeks as written in your review) was listed on the travel site as "Best Value" which states "Bedding Varies" which means any room that is currently available at time of Check In regarless of any special request. When a reservation has a special request we do everything we can to make the accomodation, which in this case we were able with the request being 2 beds. Originally we had you in a room with 1 full bed for all three nights in Acacia but, with taking some time and putting in the effort we were able to put you in Acacia for the first night with 2 full beds, and then the last 2 nights at our Sister property (20 yards away) in one of our Deluxe rooms with 2 Queen Beds. Both rooms in fact are major upgrades. We understand this was not ideal for you but when you did arrive we did give you the option for the 3 nights at Acacia in the smaller room with one bed at which point you opted for upgraded rooms at both hotels even though you would have to move. We feel we did out part to accomodate you and your son but unfortunately you expressed your disatisfaction in your review and not while you were staying with us.
With all this being said, hopefully one day you and your son will return to the amazing island of Puerto Rico and enjoy our beautiful hotel.
Tkae care and God Bless!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
There are newer reviews for Acacia Boutique Hotel

Reviewed 26 August 2012

We just spent a week here and we also picked it because of the reviews. It's very small, only 21 rooms. Of course our room had a balcony that faced a condo parking lot. There are no chairs or umbrellas to sit at when you go to the beach. Your on your own. The hot tub is large, but the jets weren't working the whole week. the pool is at a sister hotel a block away, but it's only big enough for two people! Seriously! It's not in the best neighborhood although there were cops all over. if you have a car, good luck finding a parking spot. They have no parking. the one night we had to park six blocks away. No microwave, no refridgerater. We will probably never return to Puerto Rico for a vacation, but if we do, we will try our luck with a larger hotel maybe closer to Old San Juan.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank zoeybuddy
Reviewed 19 August 2012

We just spent 3 nights here specifically because of all the rave TA reviews...it was fine, nice even, but definitely nothing special.

Location in Condado close to the beach is excellent, and don't miss Pinky's for breakfast, but otherwise the place was a totally average small hotel.

When we arrived to check in, there was a sign on the front door saying reception was away, and to check in at the sister hotel down the street (Wind Chimes)...We did, and the girl at Wind Chimes was super friendly and helpful.

First two nights we stayed in room 307. Large space, overlooking the huge hot tub, ocean in the distance, shared balcony...we were happy...from there it all started to go down hill a bit...girl at reception was all smiles, but when we asked her to make us a dinner reservation she more or less blew us off. She then had to pull change out of her own pocket (begrudgingly) to give us change for the bus (FYI, it's $15-$20 for a cab to Old San Juan, or 75 CENTS for the bus, which is a piece of cake, BUT ONLY ACCEPTS EXACT CHANGE).

Room was clean, but generic and a bit shabby (couch was a crappy old futon with a blanket over it). AC was loud, like can't sleep, jet engine loud. Shower was barely adequate. Bottom line is that we've traveled all over Latin America, and this place seemed like a $50/night joint in Managua, not a $150/night 'boutique' hotel in San Juan.

Oh, and by the way, the restaurant Niche was excellent, but it's tiny, underground, no ambiance, and the prices are ridiculous...$40+ for entrees; we spent $160 for 1 app, 2 entrees, a few drinks, and coffee. It was good for sure, but didn't hold a candle to Marmalade, which was the same price.

Last night was in room 302. Awesome private balcony and great ocean views, but the room and bathroom were TINY and even less special than room 307.

Bottom line is I'd stay here again for the location and beach, but I definitely won't expect anything more than a safe, clean room in a nice part of town. On a final note, the hot tub is awesome and the pool at the Wind Chimes, although small, is nice and available to patrons of both hotels.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
6  Thank Mojua
Reviewed 16 August 2012

We stayed at the Acacia for our first night in San Juan before moving on to Old San Juan. The Acacia was clean, staff was courteous and the hotel provided a great base for beaching it for a day. We had a partial beach view balcony room (see pic) and it overlooked the large hot tub with the volleyball courts on the beach off in the distance. The hot tub was huge and open 24/7 (think, I need 25 more people to justify turning on these jets!). That's great if your like us and up until 2am enjoying it with friends - not so great if you have the room where ours was and you just want to get some sleep while others are carrying away in the hot tub.

The supermarket Supermax is about 5 blocks away and is a great value. We bought a $3 styro cooler and Medalla beer which ran $5 per six. The Acacia provided beach chairs and an efficient ice machine. The beach here was wide and nice. It was also somewhat more sheltered from the wind than the beaches just to the east and around the corner.

A block and a half away at the corner of Taft and Loiza was a great little cafe for breakfast. Can't remember the name, but all the tables sat on Singer sewing machine bases and it was very artsy. Overall, we enjoyed the Acacia and think it was a great value for being so close to a great beach. Since we are from South Florida, however, beaches weren't the priority and we moved on to Old San Juan for the remainder of our trip.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank AArrgghh
Reviewed 16 August 2012

For my week long vacation in PR I stayed at the Acacia Boutique hotel. It was my 1st time staying in a boutique hotel, which I loved and would 100% recommend, as I was given more of a unique and individual service experience than when I have stayed at larger chain hotels.

The staff was extremely friendly and knowledgeable about the tours, excursions, and local restaurants/night life and made perfect recommendations for the group I was with and everyone that worked there always seemed genuinely interested in making our stay the best it could be.

The location of the Acacia hotel was close to all the restaurants and night life and right on the beach.

There is a huge hot tub and it was amazing after a long day of walking around in Old San Juan or hiking in the rainforest (I did both and 100% recommend the tours!).

My room was really nice with a romantic canopy, comfortable bed, and large plasma TV with hundreds of english channels.

The restaurant in the hotel is called Niche; a small upscale 5-7 table restaurant with a exclusive/lounge vibe to it. From the zen garden at the entrance, and the upbeat music, to the dim lighting, and fun seating, the entire experience was flirty and trendy. I definitely recommend Niche if you want to impress, for a special date, or celebration!

The service was just amazing! We were sat right away, the server was extremely knowledgeable and enthusiastic about the menu, so much so that I literally wanted to order everything he recommended.

For my drink I ordered a mojito, the best I have ever had! I was with a table of 7 so we ordered a bunch of apps and entries...For apps we shared the duck confit tacos, beef carpaccio, roasted mediterranean mussels, and the house cervich. For entries we passed around the butter poached South African lobster, pan seared diver scallops, pure kobe NY strip, and the whole American red snapper. Niche was hands down one of the most amazing dining experiences I have ever had.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with friends