“Beyond bad.”

Acacia Boutique Hotel
Ranked #32 of 47 Hotels in San Juan
Reviewed 2 July 2012

Made a reservation. Arrived at midnight to be told they are out of rooms. The guy at front desk told us that the room availability is based on demand and is not dependent on my reservation???
20 minutes later, after double checking the schedule he put as in the smallest room available (not the one I reserved). There was hair in the bed, stains on sheets and stain on the floor. This place is MUCH worse than motel 6, that charges a fraction of what they charged me. I drove to Double Tree 3 minutes away from this place and ended up paying $150 instead of $110. Save yourself time and Stay away from this place.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
9  Thank Ramil A
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.

Reviewed 19 June 2012

I loved this place.
It all started with Susana who works the front desk.
She is so sweet and accommodating. You would actually expect her to be a b**ch because she's beautiful. Not true, she is humble and wonderful - so helpful. She booked our day trip and gave us the best advice. The hot tub is to die for as well, So is the restaurant Niche (one of the best on the island) with super service and waiters (Lester!OMG) that make you want to buy everything on the menu.
So overall, this place rocks and I cannot wait to come back!!!!!!!!

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank Erica K
Reviewed 16 June 2012

We took the hotel based on the reviews we saw on Tripadvisor, and were quite disappointed.
The location is okay- close to the beach, a few blocks away from a nice cafe, but a 15 mnts walk from the restaurant area and the lively area of Ashford.
The room was designed nicely, but poorly maintained, had sand on the floor, and... generally not pleasant to stay in. You could see they prefered to overlook the torn shower curtain, the TV screen which needed mending, the bad smell from the drawers... come on, it doesn't take much.
The staff, however, was sweet and eager to help, but hey- this is something that needs the attention of a grown up.
My advice- spend a few dollars more and stay somewhere nicer.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled solo
8  Thank lee r
Reviewed 14 June 2012

We loved most things about this charming spot, with a few exceptions. Like the prior reviewer, we were disapointed with our room. We were on the second floor of the building (Room 206). I requested a high floor with a view toward the ocean (knowing from reviews that there is an obstructing high-rise building but it is possible to get a glimpse of the ocean). This room faced the back of the hotel, and required that you keep blackout shades closed for any degree of privacy. This resulted in what should have been a comfortably sized (not large, but reasonable) room feeling dark and claustrophobic. What particularly bothered me was not only were my booking requests ignored, but when I inquired at check-in if the room fit my request, I was told yes. The front desk person gestured to the view from the hot tub, also on the second floor, and indicated that we indeed did have an ocean view. Not sure how 2 translates to a high floor, though. I would certainly recommend insisting on the highest floor possible, and views towards the ocean. As with the prior reviewer, though I expressed my disapointment to a different staff person, we just decided to deal with it, though it definitely diminished our experience.

The other comment is specifically with regard to the staff. While they are superficially friendly, and are willing to help if you ask, they were generally not the warmest bunch. I'm not into B&B touchy-feely experiences, but I must say there was a distinct chill, in my opinion. Perhaps it related to my complaint regarding the room. Also, they gave out some inaccurate information, specifically with regard to their restaurant Niche being open for breakfast. Of the 3 mornings we were there, Niche was not open once. We did have dinner there one evening, and while the food and service were very good and the tiny cave-like space quite cool, this was an extremely overpriced spot. Entrees were uniformly $40 or more, and definitely not worth it. Go to Marmalade in Old San Juan, or Jam Rum Bar, about a 10 minute walk from Acacia, for better food and MUCH better value.

We did really enjoy the neighborhood location, and the fact that most of the people on the beach were not tourists, but locals just enjoying time on the beach. If you require food and drink nearby, that is not happening. You must walk a few blocks for breakfast or lunch. Try Pinky's for either.

Overall, if you are OK with less service, but a clean, charming and convenient spot, this is a terrific value for the buck. Given that the major service feature was simply the maid service, we would look into an apartment rental in Condado the next time, with a view and more space. It is certainly possible, however, that we will take the easy way out and return.

Room Tip: Ask for a high floor and room facing the ocean. Our room, 206, felt dark and claustrophobic.
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank entrad
Reviewed 14 June 2012

Acacia is somewhere I can see myself staying on future trips to San Juan. It's a small hotel in a very large house, located just one building from the beach.

The hot tub (one of my key amenities) was the largest I've ever seen. Larger than some swimming pools... and deeper than most hot tubs, too. Plus, it was literally on the other side of my balcony and accessible (if not open) all night.

The staff were all friendly and helpful. The intimate restaurant in the basement is highly acclaimed. The building is really cool and maze like. It also felt really secure and comfortable.

My room wasn't remarkable basically a big bed, a dresser and french doors opening onto a balcony directly above the huge hot tub. Oh, there was a bathroom, it was tiny but had a nice stone shower. The price/ room size ratio is what caused me to deduct a star.

My only real gripe would have to be the nominal charge for use of the in room safe. I mean, it's already in the room, why not just charge a fee if someone looses the key?

Make sure you take a moment to check out the very top floor deck, the view of the ocean is nice, especially at sunset!

Room Tip: Book early, the place is small and if you wait until the last minute you will probably get a less th...
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple