“Coolest, sexiest B&B on the island” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Acacia Boutique Hotel

Acacia Boutique Hotel
Ranked #30 of 46 Hotels in San Juan
New York City, New York
“Coolest, sexiest B&B on the island”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 June 2012

I loved this place.
It all started with Susana who works the front desk.
She is so sweet and accommodating. You would actually expect her to be a b**ch because she's beautiful. Not true, she is humble and wonderful - so helpful. She booked our day trip and gave us the best advice. The hot tub is to die for as well, So is the restaurant Niche (one of the best on the island) with super service and waiters (Lester!OMG) that make you want to buy everything on the menu.
So overall, this place rocks and I cannot wait to come back!!!!!!!!

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Erica K
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (138)
  • Finnish first
Tel Aviv, Israel
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 June 2012

We took the hotel based on the reviews we saw on Tripadvisor, and were quite disappointed.
The location is okay- close to the beach, a few blocks away from a nice cafe, but a 15 mnts walk from the restaurant area and the lively area of Ashford.
The room was designed nicely, but poorly maintained, had sand on the floor, and... generally not pleasant to stay in. You could see they prefered to overlook the torn shower curtain, the TV screen which needed mending, the bad smell from the drawers... come on, it doesn't take much.
The staff, however, was sweet and eager to help, but hey- this is something that needs the attention of a grown up.
My advice- spend a few dollars more and stay somewhere nicer.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled solo
8 Thank lee r
New York City, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 June 2012

We loved most things about this charming spot, with a few exceptions. Like the prior reviewer, we were disapointed with our room. We were on the second floor of the building (Room 206). I requested a high floor with a view toward the ocean (knowing from reviews that there is an obstructing high-rise building but it is possible to get a glimpse of the ocean). This room faced the back of the hotel, and required that you keep blackout shades closed for any degree of privacy. This resulted in what should have been a comfortably sized (not large, but reasonable) room feeling dark and claustrophobic. What particularly bothered me was not only were my booking requests ignored, but when I inquired at check-in if the room fit my request, I was told yes. The front desk person gestured to the view from the hot tub, also on the second floor, and indicated that we indeed did have an ocean view. Not sure how 2 translates to a high floor, though. I would certainly recommend insisting on the highest floor possible, and views towards the ocean. As with the prior reviewer, though I expressed my disapointment to a different staff person, we just decided to deal with it, though it definitely diminished our experience.

The other comment is specifically with regard to the staff. While they are superficially friendly, and are willing to help if you ask, they were generally not the warmest bunch. I'm not into B&B touchy-feely experiences, but I must say there was a distinct chill, in my opinion. Perhaps it related to my complaint regarding the room. Also, they gave out some inaccurate information, specifically with regard to their restaurant Niche being open for breakfast. Of the 3 mornings we were there, Niche was not open once. We did have dinner there one evening, and while the food and service were very good and the tiny cave-like space quite cool, this was an extremely overpriced spot. Entrees were uniformly $40 or more, and definitely not worth it. Go to Marmalade in Old San Juan, or Jam Rum Bar, about a 10 minute walk from Acacia, for better food and MUCH better value.

We did really enjoy the neighborhood location, and the fact that most of the people on the beach were not tourists, but locals just enjoying time on the beach. If you require food and drink nearby, that is not happening. You must walk a few blocks for breakfast or lunch. Try Pinky's for either.

Overall, if you are OK with less service, but a clean, charming and convenient spot, this is a terrific value for the buck. Given that the major service feature was simply the maid service, we would look into an apartment rental in Condado the next time, with a view and more space. It is certainly possible, however, that we will take the easy way out and return.

Room Tip: Ask for a high floor and room facing the ocean. Our room, 206, felt dark and claustrophobic.
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank entrad
Seattle
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 June 2012

Acacia is somewhere I can see myself staying on future trips to San Juan. It's a small hotel in a very large house, located just one building from the beach.

The hot tub (one of my key amenities) was the largest I've ever seen. Larger than some swimming pools... and deeper than most hot tubs, too. Plus, it was literally on the other side of my balcony and accessible (if not open) all night.

The staff were all friendly and helpful. The intimate restaurant in the basement is highly acclaimed. The building is really cool and maze like. It also felt really secure and comfortable.

My room wasn't remarkable basically a big bed, a dresser and french doors opening onto a balcony directly above the huge hot tub. Oh, there was a bathroom, it was tiny but had a nice stone shower. The price/ room size ratio is what caused me to deduct a star.

My only real gripe would have to be the nominal charge for use of the in room safe. I mean, it's already in the room, why not just charge a fee if someone looses the key?

Make sure you take a moment to check out the very top floor deck, the view of the ocean is nice, especially at sunset!

Room Tip: Book early, the place is small and if you wait until the last minute you will probably get a less th...
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Lael_Lael
Riverhead, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 June 2012

because I had a wonderful time...but I really did NOT like my room!

Hubby and I were celebrating our 25th wedding anniversary...but had no money. YOu see our oldest is headed to Medical School next month and our youngerst headed to undergrad at UB in August. So I mean we had NO MONEY. I searched for the best bang for our bucj and found San Juan, Puerto Rico fit the puzzle perfectly. Some online searching led me to Acacia by the Sea.

Upon arrival by taxi from Luis Munoz Marin airport we could not get in to the hotel. I had forgeotten that you must be "buzzed" in. The lobby was a welcoming, cool stroll to the front desk. We checked in and were given a short tour of the hotel so that we knew where all amenities were. So far, so good! This was a tropical sunny delight!

We went back to the front desk to get our bags and be shown to our room. I expected to bring my bag up the steps...nope...our room was "this way." We were led through the glass doors but instead of up the steps we went past "Niche" and housekeeping to what seemed like a little cave - adjacent to housekeeping. When the door was opened for us we were in what seemed to me again like a cave: a dark, cool room all to itself - no windows to the outside - merely to the small courtyard. I was so disappointed but didn't want to show it. So we checked out the room and started to unpack - with me still hiding my disappointment.

We changed and headed for the beach. Acacia supplies guests with unlimited beach towels and beach chairs were also provided - we took some of each. A few steps from the rear entrance and we were on the beach! The beach was everything I hoped for: calm, blue, warm Caribbean water and soft sand!

After many hours on the beach (and pleanty of 70 SPF sunscreen) we returned to our room and got ready for dinner. A short cab ride later we were in Old San Juan.

Back at Acacia we were tired from the flight and day. We had a king sized bed which was very comfortable and the air conditioning had the room at the perfect temperature so we drifted off to sleep. I was awakened about an hour and a half later by some Niche resturant patrons laughing and talking. Niche was mere steps from our room and the noise traveled down our little hallway. I drifted back to sleep only to be awakended again by some sort of nocturnal bird (I later learned that this was actually coqui). Again, the sound had nowhere to go! The bed itself was comfortable and I again drifted back to sleep - wishing that there was a fluffy pillow or two to help me. The pillows were flat - albeit plentiful.

At about 7:00 AM I was awakened by what I am guessing to be the housekeeping staff starting the laundry for the day...

When my husband awoke I mentioned that I was going to ask to change rooms. He did not want to change and said that he was "very comfortable" in our room. I voiced my complaints and he said that he did not notice any of them. I took into consideration that I usually plan all of our trips and he goes along with whatever I say, so I did not ask to change rooms. Now for the advantages of this room and why hubby liked it: the room is HUGE, the bathroom is HUGE - specifically the shower area (wink, wink). The room is very private (just like my hubby) and conducive to romance: the bed was larger than a King (if that's possible) - and I know I mentioned this before: like a cave - I guess a man cave! We had a nice size refrigerator to keep the Heineken and restaurant leftovers cold. We had plenty of space for our clothing as well.

The bathroom is responsible for the 5 star review: there is a large mirror nearly the size of the wall with a shelf for toiletries below. Here's the attention to detail: they have a telescoping, magnifying mirror mounted just to the right of the jalosy window! I could apply my make-up with ease! THANK YOU! A blow drier is mounted right on the wall behind you - also easy to use!

There is a large screen TV opposite the bed - with an easy to use remote (another man feature ☺). The air conditioning was also via remote.

All said, this is a MAN'S room, so ladies if you cannot put up with what I've mentioned be sure to request NOT room 105! If you can let your man have this, you will likely not regret it (again - wink, wink).

The staff is superb - they cannot do enough for you. Housekeeping kept our room immaculate.
Would I go back?? In a minute! But, I'd like to try one of the sunny rooms!

Oh as for the surrounding area...left on Loiza Street gets dicey - but I'm sorry we didn't venture there for at least a meal! Right on Loiza for a few blocks takes you to SuperMax de Diego. This is a grocery store that sells everything - including liquor. Might as well stock up, you've got a refrigerator. We bought a soft-sided cooler with a shoulder strap to carry to the beach. There is an ice machine where the beach chairs are: cold beer and rum on the beach are good things!

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple