“The sort of place you go back to”

Acacia Boutique Hotel
Ranked #32 of 47 Hotels in San Juan
Reviewed 14 June 2012

Acacia is somewhere I can see myself staying on future trips to San Juan. It's a small hotel in a very large house, located just one building from the beach.

The hot tub (one of my key amenities) was the largest I've ever seen. Larger than some swimming pools... and deeper than most hot tubs, too. Plus, it was literally on the other side of my balcony and accessible (if not open) all night.

The staff were all friendly and helpful. The intimate restaurant in the basement is highly acclaimed. The building is really cool and maze like. It also felt really secure and comfortable.

My room wasn't remarkable basically a big bed, a dresser and french doors opening onto a balcony directly above the huge hot tub. Oh, there was a bathroom, it was tiny but had a nice stone shower. The price/ room size ratio is what caused me to deduct a star.

My only real gripe would have to be the nominal charge for use of the in room safe. I mean, it's already in the room, why not just charge a fee if someone looses the key?

Make sure you take a moment to check out the very top floor deck, the view of the ocean is nice, especially at sunset!

Room Tip: Book early, the place is small and if you wait until the last minute you will probably get a less th...
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Lael_Lael
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
There are newer reviews for Acacia Boutique Hotel

Reviewed 10 June 2012

because I had a wonderful time...but I really did NOT like my room!

Hubby and I were celebrating our 25th wedding anniversary...but had no money. YOu see our oldest is headed to Medical School next month and our youngerst headed to undergrad at UB in August. So I mean we had NO MONEY. I searched for the best bang for our bucj and found San Juan, Puerto Rico fit the puzzle perfectly. Some online searching led me to Acacia by the Sea.

Upon arrival by taxi from Luis Munoz Marin airport we could not get in to the hotel. I had forgeotten that you must be "buzzed" in. The lobby was a welcoming, cool stroll to the front desk. We checked in and were given a short tour of the hotel so that we knew where all amenities were. So far, so good! This was a tropical sunny delight!

We went back to the front desk to get our bags and be shown to our room. I expected to bring my bag up the steps...nope...our room was "this way." We were led through the glass doors but instead of up the steps we went past "Niche" and housekeeping to what seemed like a little cave - adjacent to housekeeping. When the door was opened for us we were in what seemed to me again like a cave: a dark, cool room all to itself - no windows to the outside - merely to the small courtyard. I was so disappointed but didn't want to show it. So we checked out the room and started to unpack - with me still hiding my disappointment.

We changed and headed for the beach. Acacia supplies guests with unlimited beach towels and beach chairs were also provided - we took some of each. A few steps from the rear entrance and we were on the beach! The beach was everything I hoped for: calm, blue, warm Caribbean water and soft sand!

After many hours on the beach (and pleanty of 70 SPF sunscreen) we returned to our room and got ready for dinner. A short cab ride later we were in Old San Juan.

Back at Acacia we were tired from the flight and day. We had a king sized bed which was very comfortable and the air conditioning had the room at the perfect temperature so we drifted off to sleep. I was awakened about an hour and a half later by some Niche resturant patrons laughing and talking. Niche was mere steps from our room and the noise traveled down our little hallway. I drifted back to sleep only to be awakended again by some sort of nocturnal bird (I later learned that this was actually coqui). Again, the sound had nowhere to go! The bed itself was comfortable and I again drifted back to sleep - wishing that there was a fluffy pillow or two to help me. The pillows were flat - albeit plentiful.

At about 7:00 AM I was awakened by what I am guessing to be the housekeeping staff starting the laundry for the day...

When my husband awoke I mentioned that I was going to ask to change rooms. He did not want to change and said that he was "very comfortable" in our room. I voiced my complaints and he said that he did not notice any of them. I took into consideration that I usually plan all of our trips and he goes along with whatever I say, so I did not ask to change rooms. Now for the advantages of this room and why hubby liked it: the room is HUGE, the bathroom is HUGE - specifically the shower area (wink, wink). The room is very private (just like my hubby) and conducive to romance: the bed was larger than a King (if that's possible) - and I know I mentioned this before: like a cave - I guess a man cave! We had a nice size refrigerator to keep the Heineken and restaurant leftovers cold. We had plenty of space for our clothing as well.

The bathroom is responsible for the 5 star review: there is a large mirror nearly the size of the wall with a shelf for toiletries below. Here's the attention to detail: they have a telescoping, magnifying mirror mounted just to the right of the jalosy window! I could apply my make-up with ease! THANK YOU! A blow drier is mounted right on the wall behind you - also easy to use!

There is a large screen TV opposite the bed - with an easy to use remote (another man feature ☺). The air conditioning was also via remote.

All said, this is a MAN'S room, so ladies if you cannot put up with what I've mentioned be sure to request NOT room 105! If you can let your man have this, you will likely not regret it (again - wink, wink).

The staff is superb - they cannot do enough for you. Housekeeping kept our room immaculate.
Would I go back?? In a minute! But, I'd like to try one of the sunny rooms!

Oh as for the surrounding area...left on Loiza Street gets dicey - but I'm sorry we didn't venture there for at least a meal! Right on Loiza for a few blocks takes you to SuperMax de Diego. This is a grocery store that sells everything - including liquor. Might as well stock up, you've got a refrigerator. We bought a soft-sided cooler with a shoulder strap to carry to the beach. There is an ice machine where the beach chairs are: cold beer and rum on the beach are good things!

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
10  Thank RLTF
Reviewed 5 June 2012

Just back from a weeks stay at the Acacia Seaside Inn. The hotel is excellent, The front desk and room staff are very friendly and top rate in efficiency. The hotel is located steps away from a very nice beach. The swimming is not great but very good. Due to a rip tide, swells can be a little high for comfortable swimming. The hot tub is to die for, I loved it and used it every day.

The hotel location is a little romote from old town and good shopping. There are some hotels, casinos and restaurants in the area but a long walk for seniors. Cabs can be at the hotel in 5 minutes or less. A little pricey for a lot of trips into old town and other area's. I would recommend getting a car if you want to travel everywhere.

Two excellent recommendations: must go the Niche restaurant in the hotel, a little pricey but well worth the expense and a trip to the rain forrest with "Natural Wonders", its like having a friend or family member showing you around.

If I went back to San Juan again I would probably stay closer to Old San Juan. But for the
price difference Acacia is a very good hotel.

Room Tip: 206, 207, 208 across from the hot tub
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
5  Thank barbsoluri
Reviewed 4 June 2012

I went to Puerto Rico to visit my family and decided to spend the last five days in San Juan. Acacia was just what I was looking for. It is very close to the beach, the rooms are nice and they let you use towels and beach chairs, which was very convenient.

I was there by myself, but Chad and Susana made me feel right at home. The dinner at Niche restaurant was excellent. Although I felt a little awkward eating alone in the evening, I was greeted by Chad who included me in conversations with those around me and gave me a sample of the duck confit tacos...good stuff. After a few drinks I got a little absinthe crazy and started ordering shots for anyone who would take one with me....good times!

The public beach located 1/2 a block away was perfect. I was looking for a quite beach where I could read, relax and take the occasional dip in the water.

So if you are looking for a place to relax, with a great staff and a beach close by then Acacia is for you. It's also a short 15 minute walk from the casinos and resorts. I highly recommend Acacia and I am looking forward to returning.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled solo
4  Thank ItaliaRican1
Reviewed 23 May 2012

I absolutely recommend acacia! This place is quiet enough to feel like you're away from all of life's stress, and close enough to everything (5-10 minute walk) to be a part of the scene. Resting right along the beach that seemed to always be empty when I was there, this place was always nice to return to. The giant hot tub is a huge bonus! While the staff was not only extremely friendly and made you feel at home, they also took me out on the town for me birthday! Thanks again guys! Make sure you go to Niche downstairs. I ate all around San Juan and that is by far the best meal I had...and the best mojito! I had to go back multiple times to try more of the menu. The Red Snapper still haunts my dreams.

Room Tip: if you can splurge for the room with a balcony!
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled solo