“Caution-Even if you book this hotel and have a confirmation you may not get it!” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Acacia Boutique Hotel

Acacia Boutique Hotel
Ranked #30 of 46 Hotels in San Juan
Boston, MA
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 April 2012

We made a reservation for this hotel, have the confirmation and called a week ahead of time to confirm (after having the reservation for months) because of all the issues I've seen on TripAdvisor and Yelp about hotels moving/changing folks. Well, it happened to us and we too were informed that we'd been rebooked in one of their sister properties (which had mixed reviews). Upon calling the hotel we were informed they had overbooked and so we were being moved, they were pleasant about it but unaccommodating.

I'm a frequent business and pleasure traveler and have had my share of travel mishaps and thanks to this site I knew to call ahead and verify my reservation. My bottom line is if I wanted their sister property I would have booked it and now I have a new reseravation with an entirely different hotel chain. Be warned ....just because you have a confirmation with the Acacia doesn't mean you actually have a room!

Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
14 Thank KfromBoston
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (140)
  • Finnish first
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 March 2012 via mobile

First time I've had to submit an unfavorable review, so forive me if I stumble through this one. My wife & I are frequent travelers and I'm proud at the number of my reviews that have been read on this website, ( 3 reviews away from Senior Reviewer Badge)..
This website has served us well over the past few years, so you can imagine our surprise at how far off the strong reviews of this hotel was; compared to our experience.
* First I want to accenuate the positives: 1.) hotel located in safe neighborhood Condado. 2.) kudos to the housekeeping staff/rooms were kept clean. 3.) nice semi-private beach 1/2 block from hotel.
** Full Disclosure- we recognize that amenities vary on the importance scale from each individual/group or couple. What may be a deal breaker for some may not be for others. But what I do want to bring to anyone considering this location is first the definition of convenient. I saw on other reviews that this hotel was convenient to shopping, etc.. My wife & I are New Yorkers and no strangers to walking, and we found the walk to the nearest shopping area a little further than your standard defintion of convenient. It is a pleasant walk, but do not attempt this walk in sandals. HA..
*** Addressing the Poor Room Management: Our Check In was South of "warm & fuzzy". Instead we were greeted with indifference. Nothing better than having the Front Desk Attendant (first name began with an S) acting as if she was doing us a favor by checking us in. Please dont confuse indifferent with rude, because the exchange was pleasnat. However, when you give the owner a compliment of "nice place" and you get answered with "all smoke & mirrors" you start to wonder if they are in the wrong business. HA
What confirmed my suspicion was the room they gave us, room 207. The room had (2) King Beds (if you call 2 twin beds put togther a king) that was very narrow and claustrophobically tight. I noticed the room right next to ours was empty with a much nicer king bed and definitely better suited for a Couple. The hotel was at maybe 20% occupancy, and when I inquired with the same front desk attendant if the Empty room next door was a higher rate than ours, I was told it was the same rate!! I had to ask myself, if you see we are a couple on a romantic get away weekend, and you have a much nicer, EMPTY room at the same rate available, why would you give a couple a cramped (2) king bed room??? Poor Room Block Management!!
In closing this "boutique" hotel is run by individuals who either know very little about simple hospitality or just dont care. We could handle the fact the property has no elevator, only stairs that are exposed to the elements to your room (like rain in our case),or if you wanted a snack & simple cup of coffee you have to walk accross the street to their sister property. In reality it falls short with amenities you would find at even 3 star hotels, and couples would do better staying at a chain hotel further down the road where you are truly walking distance to shops and most importantly treated as a valued guest.

Stayed March 2012
5 Thank mychaeljacobnyc
Tarrytown, New York
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 March 2012

Stayed @ Acacia for recent escape from NYC. Not what was expected. Many reviews submitted on Tripadvisor have great comments and wonder about their experiences. Reserved king, deluxe room but wonder where the "deluxe" part was. What we got was 2 king beds, (which is really, 2 twins put side by side). Made the room very tight to maneuver around. No closet, but hangers on a wall rack. No full length mirror but the mirror on top of chest-height dresser can be full length if hung from wall. (Spent time standing on top of bed to look in mirror and ducking from ceiling fan. Or, if I was on the floor, standing on tippie toes. I am 5'8".) No refrigerator. Keys to enter hotel property worked only sometimes. (Had to change keys twice 2 front desk. Gave up after that and resolved to fact that the keys are tempermental.) Great beach location but otherwise inconvenient to restaurants, nightlife and Old San Juan.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
7 Thank Jenifer H
San Francisco, California, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 March 2012

After traveling around the island we spent our last 2 nights at the Acacia. The hotel itself is beautiful and the staff very warm, friendly, and helpful. Our room was clean and had a ocean view with a balcony that was very nice. We also enjoyed the large hot tob/mini pool outside on the second floor of the building. Note it is luke warm, which is really nice when it can be so hot outside.

I would give it a complete 5 points but for us it was a bit far from Old San Juan. We had already spent a week at the beach in other parts of the island so we were not drawn to the beach close to the hotel. It is a public beach with volleyball, swimming, ect, but also very crowded compared to the beaches around the island. Fof this reason we spent most of our time in Old San Juan which is AMAZING but a 15 minute drive away. Supposedly there is a bus that runs their easily, but we were very happy to have a car to make the trip there and back. Next point is parking is an extra fee and a must if you have a car. We parked illegally for 10 minutes outside the hotel and recieved a $250 parking ticket, FYI.

Bottom line is the hotel and building are incredible and location is great if you want to be close to the beach and in a more local neighborhood. If your primary focus for being in San Juan is the old town, I would try to stay closer to old town.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Brian P
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 March 2012

I booked this place for two or maybe three reasons. It was a small boutique hotel, looked quaint, some good reviews and you could walk to the beach. The outside was just as I imagined and how it looked in pictures. At first I didn't know how to get in and someone standing outside informed us that you had to ring the buzzer. When you walk in the lounge area had a modern yet tropical feeling with all of the big plants I wanted to take home with me and put in my living room. loud. We were quickly greeted by the concierge and apparently the operations manager whom everyone talks about here. I booked back in February of 2011- yes, it took me an entire year to write this review, but better now than never. Chad was just wonderful, always asking us if we needed anything whenever we would see him, but not overbearing. He really made us feel at home. Our room was very comfortable, clean and we had a nice view of the ocean and beach from our window. Make sure to check out the lovely jacuzzi, the top notch regular mojitos or the coconut mojitos made by Donna which are phenomenal. You MUST eat chef Christian's wonderful creations in Niche. My favorites were the mussels which were like butter, duck confit tacos, whole red snapper and ceviche. The front desk gave us restaurants to check out that were more high end, but not too expensive ans all of them were excellent. We asked about zip lining, and other tourists attractions and they were always so helpful. This place was more relaxing than I expected. Everyone made us feel relaxed and comfortable- service was great! Thank you Chad and all the staff for making our stay at your lovely hotel worthwhile. What a charming place to stay...

Room Tip: Arrange your parking well in advance..there are very limited parking spots down the streets in their...