“Serenity amongst tourism chaos”

Canario Boutique Hotel
Ranked #21 of 29 San Juan B&B and Inns
“Serenity amongst tourism chaos”
Reviewed 12 June 2012

The wife and I stayed here this past Sunday 06/12. The room was nicer than the pictures the inn provides on their website. We stayed in a 1 bedroom 250 sqf. accommodation. Basic B&B set up; flat screen TV, safe, ice bucket, telephone and most importantly A/C unit. Our room was well kept, nicely decorated and stocked w/ clean sheets and towels. Basically everything we needed to survive the night. In the morning we were treated to a modest continental breakfast which included pastries (from a local bakery) juice, coffee, tea, cereal & toast. The staff was very nice during our stay and seemed eager to answer any of our questions. We enjoyed our stay at El Canario Inn and we'll consider staying there again on our next escape to the island.

Room Tip: El Canario Inn does not have on-site parking. Drive a block south and park along the street for free...
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank drigo02
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
Reviewed 26 May 2012 via mobile

The hotel was a great little gem in condado, not on the beach but a block away. The room was very spacious and the bathroom too. Ac unit in your room. we got 2 beds and a flat screen tv. Every one was very nice and helpful. The breakfast is pretty sad, but I didn't come to puerto Rico to have breakfast, we really enjoyed our stay at this hotel and will be back.

• Stayed May 2012
2 Thank Pegasusfury78
Cleveland, Ohio
Reviewed 13 May 2012

After reading other reviews, I was hesitant to book this hotel. I'm so glad that I did, however. It's location is perfect. Right in the Condado, one block from the beach. The place was generally clean and the rooms were large enough for two people. New bedding, large bathroom, flat screen TV, and beautiful surroundings. The A/C was noisy but it IS a window unit and they are always noisy. Breakfast was fine - pastry, coffee, juice, cereal, fresh cut fruit. The housekeeping could use more monitoring, however. It was sketchy at best. Not dirty but could use more supervision. Had to ask for towels and soap. Sink needed to be wiped down more often. Maybe a checklist would help and also a supervisor who follows the maids around. The front desk was most helpful except for one young girl who had a bad attitude. I didn't want her friendship just wanted her to be friendly. She should be working in a job where she doesn't deal with people. The other clerks were great!!!

Room Tip: All rooms seem to have a good location.
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends
4 Thank Ohrr
Oviedo, Florida
Reviewed 5 April 2012

I started calling hotels at 5:00am and I came across a gentleman by the name Wilfredo (in which he was amazing). He made a reservation for me as he knew the situation of my first hotel. Upon arriving to the hotel in which it took Sigrid almost 15 minutes to open the door to just turned me away until 2:00pm. While I was told that as soon as I checked-out from the other property I wouldn't have to wait for my room because housekeeping came in at 7:00am and Wilfredo had everything set for me. Not only did Sigrid make me wait, she raised the price that I was quoted because it was too low for her. Also, she wanted me to pay almost $19 for parking while I was told otherwise. Oh and not to mentioned when I came back at night to check-in I didn't have a room! Luckily all I had to do was to drive to my inlaws for the night. But thanks to Wilfredo I had my room the following night with FREE parking!

Room Tip: They don't have an elevator so pack light because if it's Sigrid at the desk, she will not h...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
6 Thank Mandy0107
Jamaica
Reviewed 1 April 2012

The location really is the best spot in Condado! You can't beat it!

We booked this hotel at the very last minute because our cruise got cancelled, so for the only hotel available at such short notice, we weren't excepting much - It is a little better than what we were expecting. The amenities and room are small and average, but okay for two people. It is great if you are spending a lot of time exploring and away from the hotel as it is so close to everything. Cabs aren't that expensive (around $12 to Old San Juan (12 minutes drive)) and we found cab drivers friendly and informative.

One thing we didn't like was that the pool and spas are more than 10 blocks away at a partner hotel. The spa at Wind Chimes is amazing! Probably the best hot tub I have ever seen, it is almost the size of a pool. The pool at Acacia is not so good. In fact, once we saw it we didn't go there to swim once.

Overall, this hotel is good if you only want to sleep there. It is nothing fancy, so don't expect it. But the rooms were clean and comfortable and staff were friendly and accommodating. Good value for money, considering Condado is expensive to stay in.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple