The Gallery Inn
Very Good 4/5
  • Breakfast included
Very Good 4/5
  • Pool
All reviewsmusic roomjan d'esopoexotic birdshonor barold san juanrooftop deckpuerto ricounique hotella perlagarden roomhonor systemtapasthe atlantic oceanchain hotelcontinental breakfastsmall poolcruise ship
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 13 April 2012

Stay clear of the "Brown" room. It is an interior room in the "artist" class. The room is very tight, humid, musty, and does not offer an exterior window. Additionally, you will very clearly hear your fellow guests in nearby rooms.
On a positive note, the wine deck will offer one of the best views in Old San Juan.

Room Tip: Do not stay in an "interior" room with no window.
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 April 2012

Utterly bonkers, with plants/courtyards/exotic birds/statues/hidden rooms/turrets/garrets/fountains everywhere.
The HIlton it ain't. My first impression on our rainy arrival, after struggling to identify the entrance, was "shambolic, ramshackle, delapidated". Our room (Jonathan) was leaky and although a "suite", the second bed was a single iron bed the likes I of which I haven't seen since childhood! The food in the restaurant that night though was excellent.
We returned after a week away for 4 nights and my impression turned rapidly instead to "charming, quirky, unique". Reception staff are excellent, helping us book restaurants, rental cars, taxis etc and generally being extremely welcoming. We stayed in Dr Joe (a suite with the same small second bed) but which was a much nicer, bigger, more watertight room and then I stayed in Stevie, a single room but beautiful mini 4-poster bed and lovely shared balcony, when my friend left. The little plunge pool is great, there's a beautiful roof terrace (well several actually!) with great views over the coast, as well as access to the beach shack. I love the personal touch the owners bring, it really is like being invited to stay in their house: they are around and like to chat, the place is filled with their memorabilia and artistic collections, and the bar operates on an honesty box system. Whilst slightly tired in its fittings/fixtures, the rooms are all indeed clean. Location in Old San juan is excellent and allows easy exploration of the town.
If you are looking for an international standard, anonymous-type place, this isn't for you. But if you like original and interesting, and don't mind sacrificing a few creature comforts for it, then try this.

Room Tip: Stevie a nice little room; Dr Joe a big-bedded room; avoid leaky Jonathan!
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 6 April 2012

My boyfriend, now fiancé, stayed in this hotel almost two years ago. We are doing our honeymoon research and everything I'm finding, I keep hearing myself say, "but it's isn't like the experience that we had at The Gallery Inn." We had the best time; from looking all the art in the inn, to our view in our room, the decor, to the lovely meals, and personal attention. The family that runs this place is so sweet and I can still remember their generosity. They made you feel at home as soon as you walked in. So as much as we loved this place, honeymoon research is now VERY difficult due to the superb experience we had in Old San Juan at The Gallery Inn!!

Room Tip: The room upstairs was the best...but I can't remember the name of the room. It had it's own living room, patio with a beautiful view to watch the sunset; very romantic!
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank GemCity_12
Reviewed 3 April 2012

My husband and I stayed at The Gallery Inn for 3 nights before going on a cruise starting in Puerto Rico. We absolutely loved every minute of it even though it rained most of the time. Yes, there was a little water coming into the room from the deck, but that was taken care off right away. Our room had a king bed, and a balcony with a full view of the ocean. The bed was very comfortable with a TempurPedic mattress and the room was very clean.

We have stayed in many 4-5 star Hotels but I wouldn’t trade The Gallery Inn for any of them. This is a very old building, so it definitely has some issues, but you won’t find a more interesting place to stay. Walk the courtyards and enjoy the beautiful flowers everywhere. Explore the music room, the wine deck, eat a great meal in the garden or cannon room and talk to the beautiful birds. You will see Jan’s wonderful artwork everywhere and it feels like staying in a museum. You may want to visit the Beach house late afternoon and enjoy a drink right above the waves of the Ocean. Yes, it is right next to La Perla, a ramshackle place of squatters, presumably, a Slum in an incredible location. La Perla is also the home of many families who have been there forever and we hope that they will be able to stay and preserve the area and not lose it to big developers.

The Inn is right in Old San Juan and you can walk everywhere, including some great local Restaurants. If you are looking for a great lunch or just a good coffee, definitely go to the St Germain Bistro and Café just a few blocks away.

Now, you have to be able to navigate stairs to stay here and if you don’t love old historic buildings, it may not be the place for you.

Thank you Jan and everyone for the wonderful stay.

Room Tip: We stayed in the "Dr. Joe" room. It is a big room with a small balcony and a King bed, facing the beautiful Ocean and the front of the Hotel. It was quiet.
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 31 March 2012

The Inn is a masterpiece, you know the moment you walk through the gates that Jan and Manuco have dedicated a lifetime of experiences into the formation of their unique and intriguing Inn. The staff is wonderful, welcoming and always warm. They take pride in their jobs and love what they do and it shines through to their guests. You could spend hours exploring each of the guest rooms eclectic bohemian decor with Jan's masterful artwork throughout. Antiques and a tasteful hint of old equestrian sophistication are truly one of a kind. The history of The Gallery's journey is fascinating.

A short walk to the Beach Shack a gathering place for family and friends for an early evening cocktail and some laughs. Or walk thru the gardens as you are serenaded by the beautiful birds. You can walk to everything in Old San Juan and settle in at night up on The Wine Deck with it's breathtaking views of the Atlantic.The Cannon Room where dining is truly an "event" each evening, you will not want to miss! The cuisine is excellent and one of the best in San Juan.

If you are going to San Juan it's a must that you stay at The Gallery Inn. As an Innkeeper aspiring to someday to have my own inn, The Gallery was a true inspiration and lands at the top of my list in the world's best Inns. Hats off to Jan, Manuco and your very special, talented Staff! I look forward to visiting again very soon!

Room Tip: The Ocean Room and San Sebastian rooms are fabulous! For a smaller quaint room Amy is great w/ it's balcony view of the colorful architecture along the cobblestone street!
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled with friends