All reviews hosts lodging cuba accommodations excursions relaxation vacation
Reviewed 15 August 2017

The Runaway Experience in Cuba was an unforgettable experience! The owners, Jeff and Kalisa, have perfected the travel experience to make you feel fully immersed in Cuban culture. They expertly merged historical and educational experiences with social connections while offering the best of the best cuisine the island has to offer. They have local connections who you can tell have become their friends, their family, and we therefore felt protected and cared for every step of the way.

This was the most carefree trip I have ever taken. From the very beginning, they were totally responsive, answering questions before I knew I had them. All travel and visas were arranged without a hitch. They are in the business of taking care of you - getting you where you need to be, small care packages that will make your life easier, and letting you know what's best on the menu. They have thought of every detail and it makes for laid back, wonderful travel. That being said, there is a sense of flexibility, that allows you create the experience that you desire. We explored the city on our own and with a local guide, had fun salsa dancing with "professional partners", rode horseback through the countryside and learned about cigar making, tasted plenty of local rum and had (almost) too many fabulous meals, hand picked by Kalisa and Jeff from their previous experiences. There was even a beach day, perfectly timed relaxation, with, of course, more cocktails :-) Overall, the itinerary was well-balanced and well-guided!

I really enjoyed traveling with the small group they put together. We all bonded over meals and adventurous experiences and I hope we can reconnect in the future. I will definitely be traveling with Jeff and Kalisa again, as you can rest assured that you are in expert hands with them.

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled with friends
1  Thank cameodc
Reviewed 14 August 2017

Absolutely an unforgettable week! Kalisa and Jeff are such incredible hosts; so curious and adventurous friendly. As soon as I landed in Havana, I felt at ease, knowing I was in good hands. Because of their research and the relationships they've built in Cuba, every experience was amazing: the food, the activities, the cities we visited, even our housing and transportation.

Despite being a solo traveler, our group of 12 quickly gelled and I felt like I was with family. And that is a testament to Kalisa and Jeff and how they run things. DO NOT MISS THE CHANCE TO TRAVEL TO CUBA WITH THE RUNAWAY EXPERIENCE!!!

Stayed: August 2017, travelled solo
1  Thank mathismj
Reviewed 29 June 2017 via mobile

Global Pop-up in Bali with the Runaway Experience was incredible!
I will runaway anywhere with Jeff and Kalisa because they create delightful experiences around the globe with a high level of care and intentionality. It felt as if I were being hosted by close friends. The Runaway Bali was just the right combination of relaxation, exploration and connection. The focus on self-care with Jess and Wendy of Food Heaven Made Easy is proving to be the gift that keeps on giving. If you're thinking of treating yourself to a transformative travel experience, join Jeff and Kalisa for an unforgettable time.
Keeps tabs on their next adventure at therunawayexperience.com and sign up for the emails because they sell out fast.

Stayed: May 2017, travelled solo
Reviewed 28 June 2017

It has taken me embarrassingly long to write this review. I went to the Runaway Jamaica in 2016 and had the whole house between three couples. To say that the trip was amazing, makes the word amazing feel like it has no meaning.
Jeff and Kalisa have made an absolutely incredible home (full of local artisan crafted furniture and art) and experience (food, outings, etc). Before you head out, they send over a ton of potential options for outings and experiences for your trip. They plan everything from your airport pickup, to packing you lunches (more on the food in a moment), to buying your tickets, to securing guides, to making reservations... it's completely full service.
We were able to do some totally touristy outings, like Blue Hole waterfalls (still incredible to propel down a waterfall honestly, not hating one bit) to the local Jerk Chicken spot, Scotchies. Then we were able to do some more unique outings like visiting Stush in The Bush, a farm to table dining experience.
Then, there is the food that Kalisa makes. All food (unless you eat out for any meals) is included in your stay. And trust me when I say you can easily gain 5 pounds in 4 days because it is all absolutely mind-blowingly good and you want to try/inhale it all. Kalisa made breakfast, lunch, packed lunch for our hikes, snacks, cocktail hours and dinner. She included tons of local flavors and ingredients, many of which I'd never had before which was awesome. I'm just going to add photos (everything I posted, Kalisa made), because I can't possibly describe it.
I am DYING to go to one of the Runaway global experiences. Rest assured, any trip you take put together by Jeff & Kalisa at The Runaway is going to be one you will never forget.

• Stayed: July 2016, travelled with friends
1  Thank Truett J
Reviewed 12 June 2017

The Runaway Experience provides global, curated travel experiences for the culturally curious. Adventures are impeccably curated. Epicureans will be delighted. Lodging is stylish.

The best part of the Runaway Experience, are Kalisa and Jeff. They are expert hosts with friendly finesse. You can travel solo, or you can choose to travel alongside Kalisa and Jeff as travelers with insider knowledge of the locals and their customs. They manage to serve as group hosts, while also attending to individual needs with diplomacy.

The Runaway Experience has mastered the art of engaging place. All of my senses were engaged through a variety of experiences ranging from jogging through the Balinese mountainside at sunrise, traditional dance lessons with local Balinese children, village tours led by local tour guides, traveling to the local market, cooking lessons by local experts, among others.

Lastly, you are sure to make lasting connections with new friends from all over the globe. If you need to be reinvigorated, mind, body, and soul, be sure to Runaway with The Runaway Experience.

• Stayed: May 2017, travelled solo