All reviews bush bar recording studio bass hot tub jolly boys apple tv sanwood villa gee jam private beach guest services rio grande frenchman's cove blue lagoon co owner alicia keys laid back banana pancakes
Reviewed 8 August 2017

Geejam is truly a luxurious gem hidden in Port Antonio. The sweeping views, excellent service, and amazing food truly made my time on this side of the island special. I enjoyed my morning coffee with a little Sangster's rum cream and relaxed to the sounds of the island before heading down to the beach.

I'm a vegetarian, and for dinner the chef made me the most incredible tofu and vegetable curry overflowing with fresh veggies. It wasn't officially on the menu, and they went above and beyond to accommodate me. Don't forget to grab a rum punch (or anything coming out of the bar).

Thank you to the entire staff for showing me and my brother the royal treatment. I hope to see you again in the near future!

Room Tip: Look for the Banksy in one of the guest houses!!!
  • Stayed: June 2017, travelled with friends
2  Thank Tori5327
Reviewed 5 August 2017

Just go ahead and book your stay. The Geejam provides an incredible experience that exceeded my expectations. While on property you will feel as if you are out in the middle of the rain forest, but in actuality are just outside of Port Antonio. The hotel is quaint and quiet, but provides the level of service you'd expect at a large luxury resort. I stayed in the Rocksteady bungalow, which had an amazing view of the ocean below to wake up to. I decided to eat all my meals at the Bushbar restaurant on site and they were all delicious. The staff is incredibly friendly, and I truly felt as if all of them were there to make my stay as best as it could be. I recommend drinking the Stinger, but anything Nastassja makes will surely not disappoint. Can't wait to go back!

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled solo
1  Thank taylorsteen
Reviewed 24 July 2017

Was the highlight of our trip and Steve and the staff spoiled us! The food and ambiance were top quality - we have never visited a place quite like it. The studio tour was also an amazing additional perk that we absolutely loved! We will definitely be back!!

• Stayed: July 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank OliviaPowell93
Reviewed 20 July 2017 via mobile

Loved Geejam! Such a lovely feel and Steve made you feel like you were home. We also had the chance to listen to a live recording in the studio which was a very memorable night. Can't wait to go back!

Stayed: July 2017
Reviewed 17 July 2017

My wife and I stayed in Ska for 5 nights at the end of June. I had high expectations but also a high level of concern. It was pricey for us, and I was concerned that perhaps reviews on Trip Advisor were not genuine and that the owners (who are music business people) knew how to promote, but that the property itself would let us down. I wasn't even sure I was smart to choose Portland instead of the more traffic'd area of Jamaica. (This was our first time to Jamaica.)

This is a genuine review, and I'm pleased to report Geejam is all that. We had a wonderful time during our stay, and we really fell in love with Portland. Since you can read other reviews, I thought I would add some things I never read in other reviews, but that might be interesting to know.

The property is actually better built than it appears in the pictures. "Boutique" and some photos might lead you to believe that if you lean too hard on railings (say), they'll fall over. Nothing of the sort. A lot of money went into this place. The bushbar is a really cool place to hang out, BTW. Also, the water. In our shower, hot water was instant and never ran out. Water pressure was deluxe. It has some fancy shower control because you could adjust the temperature with a finger tip to exactly the temperature you want. If you wanted, you could turn your villa into an ice box (the AC was deluxe). We had no bugs or refrigerator or AC noise or any of these other complaints I saw in a few reviews. Our hot tub was cleaned every day and worked with turbo jets to spare. Being in a rain forest setting did not entail any roughing it. It's really quite a property. It's kind of insane.

I am not sure what it was, but I've never experienced such good housekeeping and it really made a difference. Everything was always just perfect.

About the only thing I would say is that it may not be obvious but to get to the beach, you have cross a road and you can hear road noise on the beach and from the balconies of Rock Steady and Drum and Bass. From Ska, at night we heard the "sound systems" from Drapers, and once someone was pounding a hammer on a property nearby. All of this may sound completely ruinous, but all I can tell you is that it wasn't. I'm the sort of person who is totally bothered by such things; I wasn't bothered. But if you think the property is completely secluded in the rain forest, it isn't. That would be rare in Jamaica (sound systems are everywhere). Geejam is however entirely private and even more beautiful than it looks in the pictures. It's secluded all right, it's just you have to be there to understand the fully setting and context. It was a treat to stay here.

Being close to Drapers means you can have some night life if you like, just by walking next door. I'm older (50s), but we enjoyed Drapers, especially several meals at Woodies (you must get Cherry to cook you a dinner, order in advance).

Geejam breakfasts are huge and delicious. We had only one dinner, it was super good. The rest of the time we were stuffed on Jerk and other Portland fare, so we just didn't end up eating dinner at the Bushbar.

We met Steve (an owner) who arranged to have the life guard stay late one night and take me out past the reefs for some deeper water snorkeling. How great is that!? I felt a bit guilty but you do get personalized service here, as you might imagine. All of the staff are really great. I actually miss them writing this review!

We also met the other owner's daughter and enjoyed talking a bit to her; the bushbar is an intimate setting where you end up talking to and meeting interesting people.

We certainly hope to come back to Geejam and Portland. Last tip: forget about Frenchman's Cove. Take a route taxi to Winifred Beach and walk down to the beach. Unless there's an algea bloom, Winifred's is the place to be.

Room Tip: Ska is the most secluded of the Villas.
  • Stayed: June 2017, travelled as a couple