All reviews bush bar recording studio bass hot tub jolly boys cell phone gee jam private beach apple tv guest services rio grande jon baker frenchman's cove co owner alicia keys blue lagoon state of the art
Reviewed 17 July 2017

My wife and I stayed in Ska for 5 nights at the end of June. I had high expectations but also a high level of concern. It was pricey for us, and I was concerned that perhaps reviews on Trip Advisor were not genuine and that the owners (who are music business people) knew how to promote, but that the property itself would let us down. I wasn't even sure I was smart to choose Portland instead of the more traffic'd area of Jamaica. (This was our first time to Jamaica.)

This is a genuine review, and I'm pleased to report Geejam is all that. We had a wonderful time during our stay, and we really fell in love with Portland. Since you can read other reviews, I thought I would add some things I never read in other reviews, but that might be interesting to know.

The property is actually better built than it appears in the pictures. "Boutique" and some photos might lead you to believe that if you lean too hard on railings (say), they'll fall over. Nothing of the sort. A lot of money went into this place. The bushbar is a really cool place to hang out, BTW. Also, the water. In our shower, hot water was instant and never ran out. Water pressure was deluxe. It has some fancy shower control because you could adjust the temperature with a finger tip to exactly the temperature you want. If you wanted, you could turn your villa into an ice box (the AC was deluxe). We had no bugs or refrigerator or AC noise or any of these other complaints I saw in a few reviews. Our hot tub was cleaned every day and worked with turbo jets to spare. Being in a rain forest setting did not entail any roughing it. It's really quite a property. It's kind of insane.

I am not sure what it was, but I've never experienced such good housekeeping and it really made a difference. Everything was always just perfect.

About the only thing I would say is that it may not be obvious but to get to the beach, you have cross a road and you can hear road noise on the beach and from the balconies of Rock Steady and Drum and Bass. From Ska, at night we heard the "sound systems" from Drapers, and once someone was pounding a hammer on a property nearby. All of this may sound completely ruinous, but all I can tell you is that it wasn't. I'm the sort of person who is totally bothered by such things; I wasn't bothered. But if you think the property is completely secluded in the rain forest, it isn't. That would be rare in Jamaica (sound systems are everywhere). Geejam is however entirely private and even more beautiful than it looks in the pictures. It's secluded all right, it's just you have to be there to understand the fully setting and context. It was a treat to stay here.

Being close to Drapers means you can have some night life if you like, just by walking next door. I'm older (50s), but we enjoyed Drapers, especially several meals at Woodies (you must get Cherry to cook you a dinner, order in advance).

Geejam breakfasts are huge and delicious. We had only one dinner, it was super good. The rest of the time we were stuffed on Jerk and other Portland fare, so we just didn't end up eating dinner at the Bushbar.

We met Steve (an owner) who arranged to have the life guard stay late one night and take me out past the reefs for some deeper water snorkeling. How great is that!? I felt a bit guilty but you do get personalized service here, as you might imagine. All of the staff are really great. I actually miss them writing this review!

We also met the other owner's daughter and enjoyed talking a bit to her; the bushbar is an intimate setting where you end up talking to and meeting interesting people.

We certainly hope to come back to Geejam and Portland. Last tip: forget about Frenchman's Cove. Take a route taxi to Winifred Beach and walk down to the beach. Unless there's an algea bloom, Winifred's is the place to be.

Room tip: Ska is the most secluded of the Villas.
Date of stay: June 2017
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
2  Thank Trever N
Reviewed 16 July 2017

Geejam is incredibly well run, with amazing, knowledgeable staff. The villas are located up on a hill with a breathtaking view of the beaches below.
They have recording studio capabilities which numerous celebrities have recorded in while inspired by the beautiful surroundings.
The food is also a hit, make sure to try the jerk chicken on the menu!

Date of stay: June 2017
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends
Reviewed 16 July 2017

The ambience and view were beautiful. The menu options at the Bushbar were great and tasty. We had a fun tour of the Studio and Steve Beaver nicknamed us as "the Supremes". We then went to their private beach which was just gorgeous. The experience was just generally excellent. I would recommend this place to others and would definitely return.

Trip type: Travelled with family
Reviewed 15 July 2017

I decided to visit Port Antonio for only one reason and it was GeeJam. Several of my favorite artists have recorded and stayed at this property including Drake, Kendrick Lamar, Rihanna, Alicia Keys, and last but not least (and also my most all time favorite) Harry Styles. My family and I got the best tour of the studio. I got to see all of the equipment and play the piano and guitar that Harry used to record his debut album (it debuted at no.1 by the way) at the studio. The views are breathtaking no matter where you are on the property, there are serene sea views and lush tropical vegetation all around!

We went for lunch and dinner both days and the chef came to our table to discuss our dietary needs as everyone in our party is vegetarian and the food was so good each time!

The co-owner Mr. Beaver introduced himself and talked to us like we were family. He was very humble and explained how artists did recordings and how the studio came to be and also gave little details on what each individual artist did. The second time we visited for dinner, Mr. Beaver took my brother and I into the recording studio to see a Jamaican recording artist from Kingston sing and lay down some tracks! We met her team and they were very amicable and inviting.

We hope to come again very soon in the next few months for a stay!

• Trip type: Travelled with family
1  Thank Amisha B
Reviewed 12 July 2017

Nestled in the hills of San San, Geejam's natural elegance was pretty impressive. I visited with my mom and aunt for lunch at the Bushbar. The food was great, service superb and the co-owner, Steve Beaver was congenial. He gave us a nice tour of the premises including a sing off in their world class studio. The view from the Bushbar was beautiful and to cap it off we spent a few hours at their gorgeous private beach. We're definitely due for another visit.

• Trip type: Travelled with family