“Feeling of community on Palm Sunday 2018 in this humble parish”

Mary, Gate of Heaven Catholic Church
Reviewed 2 weeks ago

I attended 10am mass on Palm Sunday - 3.25.2018. This was 1 of the most moving masses I've ever attended. The Franciscan priest - father Jim led a beautiful service. I attended mass by myself but the feeling of community brought tears to my eyes. Father Jim asked what countries people were from at the beginning of mass & welcomed everyone. The distribution of the palms was outside - palms came from the trees on the church property & the children distributed the palms that parishioners had fashioned into crosses - I brought mine home to Toronto & will always remember this service. At the end of mass Fr Jim asked whether anyone was celebrating a birthday or anniversary that day or week & prayers were said for those people. He also did a blessing for couple newlywed 2 days prior. The mass was so touching that I returned for Good Friday mass as well.
I wanted to thank a Good Samaritan. The cab driver who dropped me off at mass on Good Friday didn't return to pick me up. A lovely lady - a snowbird named Faye from Minnesota had her driver drop me at my hotel. Ironically her cab driver's name was Lenny GOODWILL - goodwill indeed. Thanks again Faye & Lenny

All reviews
"sunday service"
in 4 reviews
"great place to attend"
in 2 reviews
"brought tears to my eyes"
"great songs"
in 7 reviews
"choir"
in 6 reviews

Reviewed 2 weeks ago

We went to the church on a sunday monring and where personally greeted by the priest and the locals. The overall experience with the singing and praying was really nice. But be aware that it will get very warm in the church. Take water with you!

Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

Far from a regular attender back home (lapsed would be closer to truth) but trip advisor reviews made me want to go and both kids and myself enjoyed a truly Catholic ie universal experience with a lovely welcoming negril congregation supplemented by people from all over world inc US, Canada, Italy Germany and Scotland. Delightful service with young Jamaican singing and dancing and thoughtful sermon which hit spot on importance / duty of letting light shine on internal and external darkness by Father from US who is of German extraction. Beautiful experience

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

We went for Palm Sunday services, 10 am on March 25, 2018. We all went out to the yard where the Priest surrounded by little children, blessed the palm. Then the children passed them out to the attendees. We then went inside for the most wonderful, heartfelt service I've ever experienced. Everything you would expect from a tiny little church built in 1958 in a parish with meager means. Last year we attended Palm Sunday services at St. Patrick's Cathedral in New York City, but this little place blew NYC away! During the "sign of peace" singing broke out and people actually walked around the church to hug and shake hands with everyone, and get this - the attendees were from all over the world and came in all colors and ethnicities! Brought tears to my eyes! Don't miss Mary, Gate of Heaven - it will change you for the better!