“I'm hard to impress and I was impressed.”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Nirvana on the Beach
Ranked #18 of 80 Hotels in Negril
Reviewed 25 June 2012

If you had to read only one review, please read this one. I never hold back. This was our honeymoon and our second international trip of the year. It was also our first trip to Jamaica. I am a fan of larger hotel chains because I enjoy the amenities of four and five star hotels. So, this was a departure from our normal trip routine.
Here are some facts.
1. Nirvana is smack dab in the middle of seven mile beach. That means that excellent restaurants, random beach snacks, souvenirs, clubs, bars and yes.... water and water sports are easy to find and surround you. The restaurants are so numerous. Whether you go into Negril and visit Sweet Spice, Rick's or Ivan's or walk out the front door and walk to Best in the West or Sweet Spot or walk up the beach and have the best waffles at Country Country or have the staff cook for you in your room, you're going to eat well. We sat on the beach every morning and waited for the bread man to bring us fresh coco bread or the patty guy in the afternoons with patties as good as Niah's. Then we swam or waded or floated. Nirvana supplies alot of water equipment and the security personnel know all of water sports locals. You can walk almost ¼ mile in the water toward the deep blue without having to swim. There are many souvenir shops and you will either learn to love bargaining or hate it, but it is a Jamaican national sport and they are very good at it. We even went to two clubs. I spent most of my TV time at Margaritaville, because of the multiple tv's and great drinks, but the Jungle was a good experience. Keep an open mind.
2. The staff is superb. I want to briefly discuss Zimroy, Sandra, Erroll, Leon and Leona. You will meet many Jamaicans during your stay but your staff is critical to your knowledge of the island and ability to be in the right place at the right time. The owners run this resort from the states but they gave Zimroy and staff enough leeway to make the right changes to make your stay impeccable. Zimroy is a born leader. Personable and runs his crew with precision. Sandra is the concierge or guest relations director. She met us when we arrived and was never more than a yell away all six days. It was wonderful but we wondered when she ever had time for herself. She was always there when we needed anything. Sandra recommended most of the restaurants we visited and without her we would not have stayed. We had an issue with our room on day one and they moved us to a wonderful room without haste. There are many security guards that you will meet but we truly enjoyed every dish, club or activity that Erroll suggested. Don’t let the slow and smooth talk fool you. He’s knowledgeable, into his job and knows what you want. Plus the beach locals don’t run all over him. Leon is the best taxi driver you could ask for. His first “yeah mon, no problem” was sincere and after asking him to stop like 7 times from the airport to the hotel he was still smiling. Leon should own his own fleet of taxis. You will meet many taxi drivers but none are haggle free like Leon and none know the island like he does. Lastly, Leona was our masseuse. She was fabulous and I get massages pretty regularly. She gave me an awesome deep tissue and gave my wife a perfect Swedish. Nice technique.
3. Nirvana's location and grounds are impeccable. Moses I and II and Otis keep that beach, your chairs and surrounding areas gorgeous. The resort is small. It is split into cottages. I think that there are 12. Some have air conditioning and some don’t. We chose a second floor room with AC after the bugs got to us on the first floor. And there was no tv in our room (either room). There was a full kitchen, king size bed and refrigerator though. We made the mistake of not bringing our Ipads or Computers, but after night one at Margaritaville (and the clubs on day two and three) we were thankful for the peace and quiet. Our Iphones and their wireless were just enough. We also went during the rainy season (hence the bugs), even though it only rained once during our 6 day stay. The grounds are very floral. It’s small, quaint and very personal. The staff are there but remain in the shadows.
4. You will be hounded to buy things. But keep an open mind. We found Jamaicans to be exceptionally pleasant but ever-present. It seems that you're always being asked to buy this or look at that. Most will leave you alone once you've said no once, but the line is long. I developed an easy "no" and most accepted that initial response as my final response. But even when floating, the jet skis kept coming to ask if we wanted to ride. After we rode, they left us alone too. If you do the glass bottom, ask Erroll, and go the rocks.
5. We didn’t bring enough cash. All the vendors work with cash. Don’t exchange money in the airport. It’s a ripoff. Learn the exchange rate and go to a bank once you get there. You’ll need cash for the ride from the airport in Montego Bay to the Hotel in Negril, cash for food like Jerk Chicken (I tried 6 different restaurants during my stay), cash for water sports, cash for souvenirs and cash for taxi’s.
6. Here's a list of things I wish I'd brought.
More cash, my computer, some type of water proof device to hold my money and id, more white shirts and a straw hat (bought one on town).

Room Tip: The bottom floors have more crawlers. The upper rooms have none. The room above the manager's of...
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
17  Thank Mozakflys
Management response:Responded 27 June 2012

Thanks for your wonderful comments, we are so happy to know our guests are well taken care of & enjoy their stay at Nirvana, it really is a special place on Negril beach.

We always forward your reviews to our staff & it means the world to them to know that guests appreciate their hard work & caring. They are all very proud of JA & do their very best to make Nirvana guests happy so its always great for them & us to know we have surpassed your expectations. We hope you will return & thanks for choosing Nirvana!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
There are newer reviews for Nirvana on the Beach

Reviewed 25 June 2012

In May we had our second vacation at Nirvana, and if I have my way it will not be the last! I'll skip over a lot of things since there are so many good reviews it's hard to not say what's been said before. Do your homework and read the reviews - everything good you read is true. As for the (very few) bad ones - Nirvana is perfect for most people but not all (some people are more suited to the large all inclusives). However, the few that complain about the decor, lack of TV, etc clearly did not take the time to research their vacation, becuse between Nirvana's website and Tripadvisor it's all there. This year we got to meet Lonnie (owner), we had met her husband Stanley last year and he was there again this year. It was very nice to meet them and be able to tell them in person just how much we enjoy their place. I have never been to a place where I was on a first name basis with all of the staff and felt the need to make the rounds and say goodbye before we left. Sandra took care of all of our needs, Errol on security runs a tight ship and if a beach vendor does not want to take no for an answer he WILL run them off. Moses, Otis and the other gardening crew were always hard at work but glad to take time to tell you about the native trees and flowers in the beautiful garden. The housekeeeping staff uis amazing, like special ops. You'd almost not know they were there, but everything gets done. In the course of two eight day visits they never once came knocking on the door while we were there, we never came back while they were in the middle of cleaning. We would leave randomly for breakfast, lunch or a walk, randomly come back, and everything was done. They will also squeeze orange juice for you if you buy oranges, fresh and much cheaper than buying on the beach. A bag of oranges cost $30 and gave us a half gallon a day for about 6 days. If you need a driver, Leon and Breezy are both good. Last year we took a lot of cabs one way each way thinking it would be much more expensive to have Nirvana's driver either wait or come back for us, but that was not the case, just a few dollars more with cleaner, more comfortable ride with someone you got to know. They can also take you on day trips to the falls, etc and are reasonably competative with the tour companies I looked at online. Once you throw in the calmest, clearest, warmest, most uncrowded beach imaginable into this mix, you have a perfect vacation.

Room Tip: ocean side rooms (sundeck, veranda, owners suite) not only have a great view but are more isolated f...
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
7  Thank Paul B
Management response:Responded 27 June 2012

Your review was right on in so many ways,
1st to give other travelers a personal insiders' view of what Nirvana is really like,
2nd to show to our wonderful staff so they can see how our wonderful guests have appreciated them & their hard work
3rd for us to know we're doing the right stuff

Thanks so much, we hope you will return soon.

Reviewed 23 June 2012

My husband and I just returned from a wonderful visit to Negril and enjoyed another stay at Nirvana. This time it was just the two of us so we splurged on the Veranda Suite. It was the perfect choice for us. Two factors were the deciding factor on what room to reserve..the availability of air conditioning and the ocean view. We made the right call.

At the recommendation from Nirvana we reserved a private transfer from Leon. We spotted him right away in arrivals holding the Nirvana sign. His warm and welcoming smile was so great to see in the huge mass of people and not having to wait for a hot bus to fill up with passengers before going on the way is worth the cost. As requested, he had a cooler with cold Red Stripes waiting for us in his air conditioned van and took us to the Mega Mart in Montego Bay to get a few supplies for our suite before heading on to Negril. Along the way he pointed out interesting sites and is such a nice and competent driver..I highly recommend this comfortable and stress free way to begin your vacation.

When we arrived at Nirvana we were warmly greeted by the staff and shown to our accommodations. We were not disappointed..the view from our suite was outstanding. Since it was evening when we arrived, we decided to wander down the beach for dinner instead of taking a cab somewhere. We stopped at Sun Beach for a very casual meal on the beach. It was a good choice..we had the pan fried snapper and enjoyed good service. Our fish was fresh and tasty..not to mention dining at the surf's edge at moonlight was the perfect ambiance. We ended up eating there 3 times during our stay. No shirt, no shoes, no problem!

Our room was just what we were hoping it would be. Simple accommodations in a 5 star location...something about Nirvana just fits the laid back vibe of Negril. The beach is pristine and the "sand to person" ratio has to be the best on all of 7 mile...no scrambling for location and beach chairs here. As others have pointed out, Errol will ask you on your first day where you would like your lounger placed and after that he will have it ready for you each and every morning. The housekeeping staff will watch for when you go to the beach and they will clean your room while you relax on the sand.

We slept like the dead every night. The bed was firm but pleasantly so. We had freshly squeezed orange juice provided every morning and made our own breakfast in the simply kitchenette using the electric skillet and two burner hotplate provided. We had breakfast every morning on the terrace looking out at the beautiful oceanfront. Lunch was usually a Patty from the Patty-man on the beach or jerk from "Best In the West" across the street that we would get "to-go" and eat on our terrace. For drinks we went next door to the White Sands Bar and brought them back to the beach...be sure to get a Dirty Banana cocktail there! Most evenings we wandered down the beach for dinner.

I think Nirvana is a special place..it reminds me of resorts from another era before flat screen TVs, granite counter tops, and themed restaurants became the desired amenities in resorts. Don't get me wrong, there are times that I also want a TV, spa, jacuzzi, designer furnishing and an on-site gourmet restaurant..but in Negril I want a simpler and slower pace and the rustic accommodations of Nirvana fit us perfectly. The only negative I can think of is that the AC was hard to regulate...there was not a remote control for it so it was high speed or nothing and it was too cold for us at night. But that was a very minor inconvenience and everything else was spot on. The biggest challenge is finding the motivation to leave the Nirvana beachfront for any reason. It is the most beautiful spot in Negril.

We are already talking about our next visit!

Room Tip: The upstairs Veranda Suite is a romantic and private choice for couples
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank citall
Management response:Responded 27 June 2012

Thanks so much for your post, you have gotten the essence of what Nirvana is all about..... A special place where you can just be yourself on one of the world's greatest beaches where the most important thing on your vacation is each other.

We personally, as well as the Nirvana entire staff all really appreciate all your insights.

I will pass your review along to all the staff & Leon & we hope you will return soon for more.....

Reviewed 20 June 2012

I spent 4 days here with my wife and 2 kids, ages 2 and 4. We had a great time. The staff is attentive and very friendly. Mrs Sandra takes care of most of the daily operations and does a great job. She is always somewhere making sure things are running smoothly. They have a great security team on the beach and watching over your stuff as you relax. Vendors wander up and down the beaches of Negril and the Nirvana staff is quick to interfere if they think you are being bothered in the smallest way. There are a lot of food options within walking distance. Plenty of enternainment close by. The beach is pristine, and very well taken care of by the groundskeepers. This place is truely all about relaxing and enjoying your time in paradise. The rooms are cabins not fancy resort rooms, don't be surprised by the simplicity. This is a very comfortable, nice, safe, friendly, inexpensive, beautiful place to stay. Don't look any farther.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank 07MAZE13
Management response:Responded 27 June 2012

Thanks for your post.... Nirvana loves kids of all ages & we're so glad your family vacation stay at Nirvana was just what you wanted. We hope you will return soon,

Reviewed 16 June 2012

The week I spent at Nirvana with my wife, daughter, and sister in-law was simply perfect. Our cottage was spacious and very comfortable, the grounds were beautifully landscaped with all sorts of flowering plants and cool, shady places to hang out.The beach was clean with crystal-clear water, people walking up and down the beach with delicious patties (I recommend pumpkin), fresh fruit and fruit juice, coco bread, and anything you might possibly want. You could easily spend the entire day on the beach without having to leave to get food or drink. And the beach has some world-class people-watching in peak season.
It's very easy to get into town - cabs are plentiful and not too expensive. A couple times we went into town and bought ingredients (goat, veggies, etc), and the ladies who clean the cottages cooked us outstanding meals.
It's a special little place, to be sure. If you are looking for a mellow little place with soul, this is it. If you are looking for sterile, all-inclusive lameness, look elsewhere.
If you go, definitely try to arrange a trip to YS falls - with a private driver, if possible, so you can take your time enjoying it. It really is beautiful there, and the drive will get you out into the countryside, which is interesting in its own right. And get some spicy crawfish nearby - soooooo good!

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank gringoflaco
Management response:Responded 27 June 2012

Thanks so much for your post.
Nirvana is a special place for families to be together &
enjoy beach cottage living with a caring Jamaican staff who loves to cook you an authentic meal every day.

They will share their local cooking style if you ask & are always proud when guests love the results. Be warned..... The Jamaican cuisine is addicting.

We send greetings & thanks for your post from all at Nirvana & hope you will come back soon.