“Cool Vacation”

Sandals Negril Beach Resort & Spa
Ranked #9 of 80 Hotels in Negril
Reviewed 31 July 2006

My husband and I spent 10 wonderful days at Sandals Negril. We were there from June 24-July 4. My husband is 52 and I am 48. I rented the Honeymoon Beach Front room and when we got there were given an upgrade to one of their Loft rooms.

The room was beautiful, had an awsome veiw. The maid service was great they always had our room clean and only once they had not restock the mini bar, later I found out that was someone else's job.

We had butler service, they always made sure our chairs were set up on the beach with towels and floties, gave me a cell phone so I could call them from anywhere on the resort I waned. They made it easy for me being I am the one that does the unpacking and the little jobs that need to be done while you are on vacation. I liked the factor that they would make you dinner reservations for you even when you did not need them at a certain resturant, you did not have to wait in any lines. I really enjoyed havving the service, my husband like it sometimes but if we went again he said he is not sure if he would want the service. although he never had to get up while we were on the beach and get anything either.

Food: the buffet was great, a nice selection of foods. for dinner we only ate out at 3 of the restruants, with the butler service you had the choich to have dinner in your room and I chose to do it most of the time. and most of the time it was wonderful. We still the same choices of resturants. I am not a big fish person but still found thing on the menu to eat, even on the Barefoot at the Beach they had some good chicken. We went to the Four C. and were not real crazy about it to much oil. The Chinise one was supose to be entaining and the only good part of it was that I was out with my husband. At the gril I had the Jerk Chicken it was very good and the service was ok. We went to the Sundowners and had a nice time and is the menu we ordered most from in our room. I tried different food and most of them were very good . When we went to the resturant we had a very nice table outside. I sugest that you try thing that you have not tried before and if you find that you dont like it you can order something else.

The beach was awsome.The beach was alittle on the thin side but there was room for everyone. The water was great. If you decide to walk off the beach you do have to sign out and back in and be ready to say NO to anyone you meet because they will try to sell you anything from a message to hairbraiding to drugs. Just say NO.

The night life I am not real sure about we only went to the bar once, so I can not say much about it. I one time we went I was not crazy about it, but I was there to spend time with my husband and a walk on the beach at night was more fun.

We went on one adventure which was the raft ride. It was very nice. We went on Sat, and we were the only one from our resort that went and there was no line when we got there. Our driver said that we went on a good day, because on wed and thur the crusie ships come in and there are alot of people. So if you plan on an adventure while you are there dont go on Wed or Thur. The raft ride was very nice. but you get hit by people wanting you to buy stuff as you go down the river. when you get there and when you leave.

We did have a very nice time, but It did cost and I am not real sure that I would do It again. I can do alot more for the same money in cancun.

8  Thank peanut46
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
There are newer reviews for Sandals Negril Beach Resort & Spa

Reviewed 26 July 2006

I decided to write a review for Sandals Negril because I checked this site nearly everyday leading up to our honeymoon. My husband and I spent 6 nights there, July 10- 16th. We had the most amazing time.
When we arrived it was pouring down rain and the staff didn't want us to have to walk in the downpour to get to our rooms, so while the restaurant was closed, they found a seat for us and served us lunch from the beach grill which was delicious after traveling all day.
We booked a concierge room and the staff was marvelous. We had originally requested the Paradise block and found that our first night was in the Sundowner block with a view of one of the restaurants. My husband was quick to ask to be moved and we were the very next morning. The staff requested that we not unpack, and all of our bags were taken to a new room in the paradise block the next day.

The drinks were more than substantial. Some people on this site complain that the drinks are weak. I certainly did not find this to be the case. However, if it did happen, it is all inclusive.....simply ask for a double shot of whatever in your drink!

The food may not have been five star, but there is more than enough to eat. The quality if food is good.

We were the type to get quite involved with what the playmakers had to offer. We played pool volleyball nearly everyday and headed over to beach volleyball in the afternoon. My husband tried to water ski, and we both tried snorkeling. There is plenty to get involved in if you want, but you can do as little as you want as well. There were a couple of days that my husband and I simply laid around the beach and the pool.

We went on the Chukka Blue horseback riding adventure. It was well worth every cent we paid. I highly recommend it!

The only gripe we had was when leaving. Our flight was set to leave from Montego Bay at 2:40. Sandals had arranged transportation for us at 11am. We thought this would be plenty of time. We arrived at the airport at 12:40, again thinking 2 hours prior to flight time would be plenty. WRONG. The Montego Bay airport is a mess. Very much behind the times technology wise. Our baggage claim tickets were hand written. So, didn't ruin our trip, but just a word to the wise...give yourself more time than you think you need to catch your flight home.

Overall, an amazing honeymoon and we did NOT want to come back to Ohio. We met some really fantastic people and had the trip of a lifetime! Go! Go! Go! if you are thinking about it!

• Stayed: July 2006, travelled as a couple
17  Thank kcap01
Reviewed 25 July 2006

We just returned from a 7 night stay with a WeddingMoon package. We stayed in a Honeymoon Grand Luxe Beachfront room. We weren't sure what to expect based on some reviews we read here, but it was a great time and we really loved it!

We may represent a different segment of people, and I think its important to know who the review is coming from. We're a young couple in their 20's who are pretty common ham-and-egg'ers. We're not big drinkers or partiers, and tend to keep to ourselves. We wanted a wedding and honeymoon that let us relax and enjoy each other. The cool thing about Sandals is that I think they cater to nearly everyone. There were the options to participate in all the planned and scheduled activites but it was always an option and we felt just as comfortable left to our own.

The beach there is really pretty, the water is crystal clear, and its a very gradual slope. Even when we took a Hobie Cat out several hundred yards, it looked like it was only about 15 feet deep. Very pretty, saw lots of starfish, striped tropical fish, and even a sea turtle! We went snorkeling and went on a glass bottom boat ride, we enjoyed it all.

There are chairs out on the beach and around the pools every morning with towels laid on them. The beaches are raked every day and kept very clean. The traffic on the beach is kept to a minimum save for the occasional reggae band playing for tips going down the beach. There are floaties everywhere so no need to bring your own.

We thought the food was wonderful. We're not used to "fancy" food so we tried several new things. Some we liked and some we didnt, but we thought it was great and the presentation is really wonderful too. I even had the beef and it was really good. Just don't make them overcook it, just like anywhere else and it will be just fine. Jerk chicken at the grill was done just like I had remembered our last trip to Jamaica, but it was the only place I could find it done that way. Once I discovered it was there I went there alot. Breakfast at the bayside buffet is really nice, too. Always some live jazz music being played and nearly anything you could think of to eat. Lots and lots of fresh fruits. The bacon is good, the sausage tastes a bit wierd. The pasteries were GREAT! Room service food was fun to get and served in very nice presentations. The only thing I really didn't lke much was the hamburgers, but come on... I'm in Jamaica I can skip burgers for a week, right?

The room was ...good. We were in the Sundowner building with consierge service. The housekeeping staff is really friendly and do a great job keeping things clean and tidy. They cleaned our room 2 times a day, and have turndown at nite, always leaving my new wife a flower in the towels. We did have a problem with a leaky roof in our room when it decided to rain really hard. It leaked right on the bed. And the AC also leaked pretty bad outside right in front of the door. There *are tiny ants inside, and the windows are wood slats, so its not sealed really great. But we're in a tropical paraside not in Manhattan, so I'm not expecting 21st century styling and upgrades. Its sorta rugged but really fits Jamaica well we thought. And we quickly got over any reservations about the room, though we did spend more time there than some people probably do.

We didn't venture off grounds very much. We figure if you're going to pay for all inclusive then USE it. To the right of the resort is Hedonism II, the swingers resort. We didn't care to go over there. To the left is a small stretch (maybe 50 yards) of public beach where they sell lots of junk, and there is a drug pusher there all the time. I just tell them no thanks and walk on. There are also seadoo and boat rentals there. Right past there is Beaches Sandy Bay, where we hopped a free shuttle to the big Beaches resort just a couple miles down the road that has a waterpark . If you don't mind some kids and families, this makes a great daytrip for completely free and you can eat free there too. There are a couple waterslides, a lazy river, and some huge pools. Fun for kids at heart like us, but nice to get back to the peace and relaxation of Sandals at the end of the day.

For those planning a wedding, the wedding staff is very nice. Lily was our coordinator and she was really sweet and helpful. We just wanted small and simple, and it was very nice. They pined over us and gave us more than we even wanted. I recommend it to anyone.

Things to watch out for............

DONT BUY ANYTHING AT THE GIFT SHOP. The prices are higher than the airport shops and also they refuse to give any change. The people who work there arent nice like all the other people at the resort, almost like you went to an entirely different world. Nothing in there you can't get at the airport on your way out or somewhere else if you want to go shopping in town, either way for ALOT cheaper. Bring PLENTY of sunscreen because the giftshop is 2X more than at home and a sucky selection.

Oh, mosquitoes bite at nite and apparently love the taste of Cutter bug repellant. Every person I saw had bugbites, including us, and we lathered in repellant to no avail. But theyre not bad ones, just small bites that went away after a day or so.

The photo people can get annoying, but they act very nicely to a "not right now" or "no thanks". They will want to take lots of pictures of you, they cost about $15-23 a piece to actually get the photos printed. Just take your camera and ask other people to take your pic if you want. We did it for other people and they did it for us. We're all in the same situation so I don't think anyone minds.

There are some jellyfish around, but apparently (maybe?)they don't sting much cause my wife stuck her toe on one and it didnt sting her. They look like round things on the bottom of the sand. Apparently they sleep upside down in the sand during the day. I'll put up a picture so you know what to look for. But I wouldnt go stepping on them anyways.

It was a GREAT honeymoon and wedding and vacation all in one. We enjoyed it much more than our last trip to Jamaica, though that was nice too. The Sandals resort just took the service to another level and we think it really does deserve its 5 stars.

• Stayed: July 2006, travelled as a couple
23  Thank mgossett76
Reviewed 23 July 2006

We stayed at Sandals Negril for our Honeymoon. The staff is wonderful.from Bell Cap to the roomservice. The people and staff of SANDALS Negril are warm and friendly and care about their guests immensely. Keisha Drummond from Sales and Sean Wilson, our Concierge, where instrumental in assisting us in getting a wedding band back that we dropped while on a tour. There were many more special touches that Keisha, Sean and the Staff repeatedly did to make our stay special and more enjoyable.

Word to the wise. DO NOT WEAR YOUR JEWELRY DOING TOUR/WATER STUFF. COLD WATER MAKES YOU SHRINK.

We spent eight beautiful days at this terrific resort. We would definitely like to return in the future and will tell all of our friends about Sandals Negril and the great people that made our stay so enjoyable.

We would like to thank the entire staff at Sandals Negril and name as many people as we can that made our stay great!!
Rohan from Sales who was very patient with us.
Alex Kong who oversee's the Restaurants.
Sefton - BellMan
Natasha - Front Desk
Juliet from turndown svc and all of housekeeping.
Debby- Four C's Restaurant
FitzRoy -at the Beach Grill
Ale and Kerian for our Candle Light Dinner
Phillip and Caroll from Kimono's
Acliesh, Christopher, Dominic and Conroy- Entertainment
Deli, Mackey (does a great Michael Jackson), Wayne and Roger with Watersports
Regina, Dahlia and Colinette from RedLane Spa (get the Champaigne Celebration massage for couples.

and many more people...

• Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
6  Thank bellmont210
Reviewed 21 July 2006

Hello to all potential Sandals Negril people...

First off let me say, that obviously, everyone has a different vision and taste when it comes to vacations, honeymoons etc.... Based on some reviews there are people who complain about the most trivial things and others let them roll of their backs. So this review is biased towards our likings and what we made of it.
We took two tours. The first is a one in three tour and it is long but worth the money if you want to learn about Jamaica and see some real Jamaican life. First you go on the Black River and learn about the enviroment and then have lunch on top of a hill that overlooks the beautiful countryside. There after it is to the Y.S. falls, which is like the Garden of Eden, absolutely beautiful. Then last you visit Appleton where you are able to sip over 20 types of Rum. The second tour was the deep sea fishing which is pricey especially if you do not catch anything. I have always wanted to try it so regardless it was worth the money.
The trip from the airport is long, but the culture you see on the road makes the trip fly by. It is not as bad as it seems or what others say is too long. Depending on how you catch it the line for customs can be long, but once in Sandals you will have already forgotten about it.
Since we booked a conceirge room we were wisked away the second we stepped off the bus to a seperate room for check-in.
We did not really utilize the conceirge service as much as we thought. But they are there to lend a hand in any planning you need. However the concierge room in the Sundowner building is worth the extra dough. Not so much for the room but the location of it. Yes there is a stocked fridge, but the location is key. You are down at one end of the resort with the restaurants a two minute walk away. The beach at this end had no more then 10 people a day at it. Most of the restaurants are in front of the rest of the resort along with the pools, wedding receptions which can be loud, and lots of people walking by. By staying in the Sundowner it is quiet, reserved and just plain relaxing. Also staying on the ground level is key, because who wants to climb stairs when trying to relax. Our room was our own personal beach.
Like others wrote food was very good, not five star but very good. I do not want to lengthen this review by disecting each restaurant so try them all. If you want two entree's order them both. If you want 10 appetizers order them as well. It is hard to get used to eating and then just leaving without going through your pockets to pay the bill. But by the third day we were in the swing of it.
The employees at Sandals were by far the best part of the trip. We had several long conversations with many of them. It is nice to know that Sandals lets their employees mingle with guests becaused we learned and enriched ourselves in their culture through our conversations. What really impressed us was their class. Everyone was polite, funny, and in a good mood. There were a few not as friendly, but simply chalk that up to personalities. This is the best part that made us feel great. We met one bartender, gift shop employee and groundskeeper. We spoke with each one for about 5 minutes at first. We did not see them again until about 2 days later. Keep in mind the resort was full and they were greeting us by our first names. The groundskeeper took our purchased coconut and opened it so we could drink the juice. He came back 10 minutes later and took it again and opened it up so we could eat the gel inside. Not too shabby for a groundskeeper, but that is the way it was. In the line of service, room service was at our door 10 minutes after our order was placed. They say about 45 minutes but they were there quit early.
Per another review that I read, tipping is NOT pressed on you. They will get fired if they receive a tip and are seen and we did not feel pressured at all. We however did tip quit a bit, not because we felt any obligation, but because we felt the service warranted it. Also if you do tip, bring small bills. The gift shop and front desk never ever has small bills or change.
Going off the resort and walking to Beaches about 1/2 mile away is fun. Despite being heckled to buy a spliff or other products, a polite, no thanks, and a little small talk to the vendors will suffice. Some people might take it as pressure, we took it as some Jamaicans trying to earn some money for their families. Once you decline, they are not bad at all.
I am sure once I submit this review other things will come to mind as to what was so great about this place. Are there small issues, of course there are. Some things others find perfect might not be suitable for others etc....you get picture..... But our time was picture perfect, could not have asked for anything more then Sandals Negril.
I am amazed at how many people read these reviews for insight. If I can be any help at all please feel free to contact me and I will be sure to offer any assistance I can with questions you may have. If you end up going there here is a little secret that we found. Walk past Kimono's, following the same sidewalk. You will come to the spa with two plunge pools, very romantic and small. Wink Wink. Obviously the spa is open during the day, but a late night private soak under the stars was heaven.

Peace, Love & Much Respect......Rob and Kim.
Peekster@adelphia.net

• Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
25  Thank Peekster
Also consider these accommodations in or near Negril
52.6 km away
133.0 km away
Sandals Royal Plantation
Sandals Royal Plantation
#3 of 35 in Ocho Rios

Been to Sandals Negril Beach Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK