“Great place to stay if you lack a sense of adventure”

Sandals Negril Beach Resort & Spa
Ranked #9 of 80 Hotels in Negril
Reviewed 20 June 2012

I did not stay here but decided to give the all-inclusive a try with a day pass. The resort was beautiful and well-maintained but felt very generic and I get the sense that any other Sandals resort would look a lot like this place did. I tried out several restaurants and felt that the food was mediocre. Prior to this, I had eaten at some of Negril's best restaurants and local places that serve authentic Jamaican food and by comparison the food at Sandals was bland, and again quite generic. Not to mention, it was the only food I ate the entire day and I ended up with food poisoning which forced me to cancel my plans for the following day.

We did take the opportunity to take a glass bottom boat ride and snorkel which was great fun and I am glad to have gotten the pass for that reason. However, the remainder of the experience was limited at best. As I heard from many locals in the area, Sandals likes to act like your parents and tell you what you should and shouldn't do. We noticed signs on the resort that said Sandals did not recommend their guests jetskiing, parasailing or engaging in any other water sports they didn't provide.

Additionally, when we were ready to leave for the day we were told by the reception desk that they would have to arrange transportation for us and quoted a price three times as high as what we paid to get there from our hotel. When we told the front desk we'd arrange our own taxi the concierge became very rude with us and the security guards chased us down when we tried to leave the property to hail a cab. As an adult who travels often, it is not courteous but rather insulting with the hotel staff treats you like a child.

While our experience here was not terrible, it was not suited to the type of vacation we wanted. I much rather enjoy experiencing the flavor of a country- its food, the people, the adventure and do not prefer to be holed up in a penitentiary with a slew of tourists.

5  Thank foodographer
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
There are newer reviews for Sandals Negril Beach Resort & Spa

Reviewed 19 June 2012

I'm wicked lazy. This review is for our honeymoon May 16-22, 2012. This was my second trip to Jamaica and this was her first trip there, and was our first stay at a Sandals resort. We spent around 4 grand for 7 days from Boston with one room upgrade to premium, which got upgraded by the resort to the "luxury" level, room 5201. The room was nice and on the second floor overlooking the gardens and the gazebo. We really enjoyed walking the grounds to see the flowers and fruit trees and lizards. We even had an encounter with a brave hummingbird.
I enjoyed the ride to the resort, her notsomuch. The driver was very chill and we had no problems at all going to and from. The room was ready when we got there and they had the cool towels and rum punch ready while we signed in. Funny how some things in these reviews are spot on, like being rushed out of the airport lounge to wait in the bus for 20 min, brief hot/ cold showers, puzzling soap rationing.
I got open water scuba certified while I was there. You have to sign up for dives the day before, but we didn't get in until after the shop was closed. They had a spot open the next morning so I didn't have to waste a day, and within 2 hours of signing up I was underwater having a blast. The reef had quite a bit of coral and there were many fish. I saw 5 sea turtles and something new on pretty much every trip. I was blown away by the arches reef dive. I really want to thank Michelle, Breaker, Capt."Hook" Macintosh, Kamar, Josh, Phillip, and most of all Wayne Foster, my instructor for everything they did to make it an awesome time.
I also want to thank and say hi to the watersports guys Oganna, Dwayne,Gregory, and Jermaine, and Trillan (Mr. Hollywood)(he shot underwater pix). We really liked the watersports get together and the opportunity to drink with and get to know the guys. Many of the people working have been there a while and have worked at many other resorts. They seem to like this one because they have health benefits and a pension.
The food was good. I had zero appetite for the first three days due to the heat and the daytime drinking. We ate at the Sundowner, Dino's, and Kimono's once each, the other times we ate at the buffet.. We both really enjoyed Dino's and liked Kimono's food, but the wait times in between courses were crazy long, even for Jamaican time. Want to thank omlette people and the smoothie girl.
Some standout people were Oshane, Pauline, and Eddison. Also a shout out to the bartenders I could remember, Rosa, Leroy, and Chris.
We didn't have butler service, but many times felt like we had one. On many occasions if I was without a drink, someone would come by, like Audryanna, and ask if they could get me one instead of just standing there.
Overall it was a great vacation. The weather was good most of the time except the last two partly cloudy days. We're in our thirties and were guilty of not staying out late. I was beat after diving and day drinking. We did meet some cool people that I went diving with though, like the "Brits", the South Carolina couple, the Russian steel worker and his wife with the two golden Sandals sandals, the Oregon couple, the Ohio couple I did my pool time with, the Michigan couple, and the couple with the $20,000 worth of gear.
As far as the seaweed, they keep it off the beach, do the stingray shuffle so you don't get stung, get over the weird spots. Bring bug spray. If you don't need it good, if you do and don't have it you will suffer.
We felt it was a great vacation for the price we paid and would go back. It sucks when you just start to get into the rhythm of the place and you have to leave. It's just another resort, a nice one, but it was the staff that made the trip.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
5  Thank ya m
Reviewed 17 June 2012

We just got back from a 4 day trip and we loved it. It was a very nice and pleasant quick getaway for our 2nd anniversary! I have listed a few reviews on things below...

Service: The service was great! We never had any problems getting what we wanted and we always treated great! However, you do notice the butler service a little and who has paid for them. They do get better tables at dinner, reserved beach chairs, etc. Although I would never pay for that it seems like they do a good job for the people who do pay for them.

Beach: There are plenty of beach chairs to go around so definitely no need to worry about getting down early. If you want an umbrella or little hut we did notice people leaving flip flops or magazines on the chairs over night to reserve their place. We started doing this and it worked out just fine! ;) But we did always notice that there were always empty chairs with umbrellas available after the fact. Also, the water was pretty clear except where there was some seaweed. It's definitely not as crystal clear blue as in the pictures they post though!

Room: Our room was very clean and nice. The bed was a little stiff but not too bad. We did not have a room with a great view...just a view of the road but it never got crazy loud at night. We were next to the maid's supply closet. I am pretty sure I heard them laughing more than anything. Our room was 5219....not a horrible room but I would definitely pay a little bit more to have a better view!

Restaurants: They were good. The service was slow but hey they are on island time and you shouldn't be too worried about getting anywhere in a hurry right!? My favorite was the fried rice at Kimono's and I we loved Dinos! We ate at all the restaurants and they were all pretty good.

Activities: My husband and I tried the water trike and it was ok. It was hard to pedal and it squeaked a lot. My husband did the hobie cat sail boat and would have loved it even more if there had been more wind.
We also tried scuba diving. Now my husband is certified but I am not. So we did the discover scuba class together, he only did it as a refresher and to help me. The class lasted about 2 hours. They make you watch a video and then get you into the pool and teach you the basics. Oh and you also have to rent a wet suit for $10. Then you go out into the ocean and do a shallow dive in open water. We did about 30 feet. I was super nervous doing it. I felt very rushed in the class and wish I had more time to go over things. I did get to dive into the ocean for a little bit but kept getting water in my goggles and couldn't seem to get it out correctly (def needed more practice) so I ended up back at the boat while the rest finished the dive. As someone who has never dived before I do feel like they rush things and don't stop to help as much as they could or be patient. I think they should do more practice sessions before a beginner actually goes out in the ocean than just the 2 hr one they give.

Overall, we loved staying here and it was very nice and relaxing. We didn't want to leave the resort and all we wanted to do was sit by the beach and that's exactly what we did! It was great! We are also now looking at other Sandal resorts to visit! I would definitely recommend Sandals Negril!

Room Tip: 5219-good room but not great view. Although it was in a great location as far as getting to places o...
9  Thank rphelps26
Reviewed 16 June 2012

First time going to this resort and it won't be the last i had the best time, staff was super friendly and helpful,the food and drinks was endless just a great place to stay,rooms are really clean,overall experience amazing,i would recommend this resort to anyone who wants to just relax and have fun, the beach was just wonderful,not to mention the view from our beach front room.

Room Tip: the resort overall is very quiet.my preference is beach front rooms because of the view.
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank C G
Reviewed 16 June 2012

My wife and I got to Jamaica on Jun 4 for our honeymoon. This was our first all inclusive, and first trip to Jamaica. All i can say is WOW! It feels great to feel at home when you are so far away, and that is exactly how you will feel here.

They have a great stretch of beach and plenty of chairs, so there is no hurry to get down in the AM.

Photographers T-Bone, Hollywood, Jerome and Vinton really know there stuff! We ended up buying a picture package just because of the great quality of the photos, both posed and candid. They all have a way to make you feel comfortable!

Playmakers Chris and Owana did a great job throughout the week, and were constantly finding us to make sure we were OK. Great, attentive service! There were plenty more, but I can;t remember all of their names.

Russel, Warren and Ritu at the Soon Come back desk were the reason we booked our vacation for next year. It was a no brainer to decide to come back!

All of the bartenders, including Owen, Khani and Michael were top notch.

The ZInc-Shack reggae party on the beach was amazing! Definitely allowed us to get a feel for real Jamaica. The DJ kept the music going and we just kept jammin'! This was our FAVORITE event of the entire trip!

All in all, 5 stars and we will return to Negrii

5  Thank Ryan P
Also consider these accommodations in or near Negril
52.6 km away
133.0 km away
Sandals Royal Plantation
Sandals Royal Plantation
#3 of 35 in Ocho Rios

Been to Sandals Negril Beach Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK