“Could NOT have been any better”

Sandals Negril Beach Resort & Spa
Ranked #9 of 81 Hotels in Negril
Vancouver, BC
“Could NOT have been any better”
Reviewed 16 June 2012

We just returned from Sandals Negril on 13Jun after 9 glorious nights. We stayed in the Penthouse Crystal Lagoon Suite for the first 6 nights, then moved down to a swim-up for the last 3 nights. Both room categories come with Butler service, which really made the whole trip perfect. Theda and Basil (our Butlers) were top notch, and knew exactly what we wanted before we even asked :)
Our room was absolutely gorgeous, and the views were amazing - even from the swim-up! If you stay here, treat yourself to the butler, it makes all the difference in the world!

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
6 Thank TinaBVancouver_BC
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,427)
  • Greek first
Salisbury, Maryland
Reviewed 16 June 2012

We stayed at this resort June 2 - 9th. We were very happy with the resort overall. We booked a Caribbean Luxury room, which is a basic room but with a patio or balcony, and our room faced the gardens (and the maintenance shed and road). Not a great view but honestly we never sat out there. We just wanted the extra light from the patio doors. Our room was nothing fancy but it was clean and had a nice tv. We were only in it to sleep anyway. The only negative was the electrical outlets. There are none in the bathroom so you have to do your hair out at the desk.

The beach is narrow but that wasn't a big deal. We tended to wake up early for some reason, and one of us would go out and put towels on our chairs around 6:30. Then we would take our time and go to breakfast. We ended up on the beach by 8:30 usually. The seaweed was kind of a pain, but not Sandals fault. I was stung by a stingray on the last day, as were two other people. They are hanging around, so shuffle your feet when you are in the water!

We spent most afternoons at the pool. My husband liked the volleyball and I liked the games. The pool is nice but small. The one at Sandals La Toc in St Lucia was much larger.

All of the food was very good. Yes the portions tended to be on the small side, but I was happy about that. You can always order more. The drinks were good as well. Some of the bartenders were friendlier than others. Overall we found the staff to be really nice. A special shout out to Nickesha who was our server at Dino's. She has a wonderful personality and went above and beyond. The only person we found to be truly unpleasant was Gregory in water sports. He was downright rude when we decided to go paddleboarding.

We did the bus trip to Rick's Cafe, which was cool. My husband jumped off the cliff, which he said was fun (not me though, why would you jump off a perfectly good cliff?). Other than that we stuck close to the resort.

What we really liked about this resort was the small size. It was easy to get around and you saw the same people all week, so we got an opportunity to get to know some people more than we would have at a large resort. There is some nightlife, just nothing big. This suited us fine. After a long day in the sun and dinner we weren't up for real late nights.

We would definitely return, although maybe not next year since we want to see new places. Overall a great trip with perfect weather. Not a drop of rain!

Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
5 Thank LaurenR66
Reviewed 15 June 2012

We had a wonderful time at Sandals Negril. Located right on the beach, it was nice to walk out of the beachfront walkout room and relax on the beach. Lots of food/beverage choices, so we were never hungry or thirsty! Visited the spa and had a couples massage that was amazing!! Enjoyed the watersports such as: snorkeling, hobie cat, auqabike, waterskiing, and kneeboarding. The shows were entertaining and we had a great time at the beach party.
Here are a couple of things that could have been better-
The service is a little slow, but come on, you're in Jamaica, mon!
The seaweed in the water was really squishy and gross!!
There was an awful smell coming from the pool bar/beach area, not sure what it was.
If you have concierge service, use it-be pleasant to the staff and they will be pleasant back.
Our room wasn't cleaned until 9 pm the first night we were there, just be friendly with all the staff and things will get done!!
RELAX YOU ARE ON VACATION IT'S ALL WHAT YOU MAKE OF IT!!!

• Stayed June 2012
5 Thank Strawtasha18
Marietta, Georgia, United States
Reviewed 14 June 2012

We returned from Sandals Negril on Saturday, June 9. It was our first trip to Jamaica and our first experience with an all-inclusive resort. Our daughter was married there on Wednesday, June 6 with 27 people in attendance. Overall we had a sensational time and would recommend the resort to anyone interested in a "destination" wedding. The staff is professional, warm and friendly with only a couple of exceptions. (The front desk staff seemed cold and rather disinterested.A couple of the bartenders had a bit of a "tude.") Most of the staff were outstanding. We opted for a basic room and although most everyone else had upgraded rooms, we were happy with our choice. Our room was spotless and comfortable. The bed was sensational. Our room refrigerator had soft drinks, water and fruit juice, but no booze. With all the bars around the property this didn't bother us at all. I don't know when we would have had time to fix a drink in our room. Speaking of alcohol, it flowed in abundance, and the drinks were excellent. Brands were topnotch. We enjoyed all of our meals. We thought the breakfasts at the Sundowner were particularly outstanding. We had a delightful---really fun---dinner at the Chinese restaurant our first night, which set the tone for the rest of the week. Beef is NOT a strong suit at the resort. I think it's a quality issue, but that wouldn't keep us from returning. The wedding was beautiful, and the staff did an excellent job. (The minister supplied was dignified without being stuffy.) The photographer was first rate. We also had a really delightful rehearsal dinner the night before in a private dinning room. The food was quite good, and the service exceptional. We enjoyed the beach and the pools immensely, but the seaweed was a bit unpleasant and three people (not in our party) were stung that week. We never did quite understand exactly how the beach chair system worked. (I think that's where the butlers come in handy.) Although we would certainly return to the resort, if we were to come back to Jamaica I think we would go to Sandals at Ocho Rio (sp?) or Whitehouse. We have heard excellent comments about these two resorts.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends
3 Thank John B
Reviewed 13 June 2012

I came to this place in 2005 for my brothers wedding it was amazing so I decided that coming back would be awesome WRONG ! We arrived later then expected and were surprised to hear we were getting an upgrade because it was my second trip here and in less then ten min they took it away claiming the room wasn't ready so they have us back our original room. They never asked if we wanted to wait they just assumed we wouldn't . Food wasn't that great only 7 places to eat very small portions and drinks cost you of you wanted something besides bottom line. Service at all were terribly slow. I was willing to deal with all of this til I saw two of the biggest cockroaches of my life walking in the dinning area when I brought it to the waitresses attention she pushed it with her foot under the nearest counter so I took it a step further and went to the front desk where the lady just looked at me like I had 8 heads and said ok I will check on that. The butler service there ruined the whole place cause if you don't pay the extra money to have a room with that they treat you like crap. Our air conditioner leaked water all over are room everyday. Beach chairs were terrible one small pool with only like 20 chairs there. I will say the gym they have was nice. Beach seemed clean everyday but vendors walk up and down the beach all day bothering you to buy stuff. Every time I asked for a cappuccino I got the answer that the machine was broken. Butler service always comes first no matter how long you were already waiting for something food drink ect. So after all of this I finally decided to talk to a manager and the response I got from her was well I will look into it . The manager also told me that butler service is not supposed to be ahead of anyone bull crap the butlers get tipped where before there was no tipping so she was not about to tell me they don't get better service overal terrible stay wont ever come back here.

• Stayed June 2012
6 Thank Jrc420
Also consider these accommodations in or near Negril
52.6 km away
Couples Negril
#8 of 81 in Negril
132.7 km away
Sandals Ochi Beach Resort

Been to Sandals Negril Beach Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK